Athens : Seniors

sparklymermaid

Athens is one of the places I would book a Royal excursion for sure, rather than 3rd party. The traffic is awful and I wouldn't want to risk missing the ship at the end. I also recommend something that gets off the ship EARLY, as the main tourist spots will fill up later in the day. (Plus hot!)

Otherwise it's hard to go wrong in Athens -- so much amazing history and architecture!

22 hours ago, KristiZ said:

Athens is one of the places I would book a Royal excursion for sure, rather than 3rd party. The traffic is awful and I wouldn't want to risk missing the ship at the end. I also recommend something that gets off the ship EARLY, as the main tourist spots will fill up later in the day. (Plus hot!)

My family and I will be flying into Athens a couple days ahead of the start of our cruise so we have time to see at least some of the sights and tourist spots on our own. Do you have experience with taking public transportation or other transport to/from any of the typical tourist locations (e.g., Acropolis Museum)? Would be good to know ahead of time if we shouldn't plan on doing more than one spot per day because of traffic or other issues.

@sparklymermaid, sorry for the slight (but still topical!) hijack.

28 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

public transportation or other transport

Hi! We got a local guy (who likely was normally a taxi driver) and booked him for the day. The hotel recommended him. He spoke English decently. We went to the Acropolis the very second it opened and he waited for us. Then he drove us by the Temple of Zeus, the Temple of Hephastus, the ancient stadium, and a couple of other spots where we spent 15-30 minutes in each place. In the afternoon we went to the Acropolis Museum (so we were inside during the hottest part of the day).

As long as you aren't trying to park or drive yourself, you should be able to see a ton of stuff.