Cape Liberty (Bayonne) - Hotel options and transportation

Big Dawg Ron

Hello fellow cruisers:

I've booked the Anthem in March and need some help figuring out Hotel and transportation to the port options.

I'll be arriving at EWR around 6:30pm, and plan to stay put that night. 

I heard that Country Inn and Suites has a shuttle that takes you to the port and I'm curious how that all works.  Or, are there other options like Uber, Car/Taxi or other shuttles. 

I found a good rate at Hilton Penn Station for $118 a night but then would need transportation to the port.

I'll be traveling solo so don't have anyone to split the cab fares, etc.

Thanks and happy cruising!

We went with the Ramada for our December cruise at 109 CAD, so it should be well under 100 USD. Like you we will have to take a cab or Uber though. I'm guessing it will be around a 40 dollar cab ride, less for Uber. The thing I like is its at the airport pretty much, so we won't have far to go.

I realize what iv said helps you in no way, just felt like sharing.

• 2 months later...

I've been looking at the Best Western Plus Newark Airport. They offer a Stay and Fly (or cruise) package that includes 10 nights of parking ($8/additional day). They say they offer a shuttle service but when asked about it they said that they'll just call you a $55 taxi, Lyft estimate is half that. Some Uber options are also cheaper. Did the math, for a 12 day cruise it would be about $40 cheaper to take advantage of this package rather than stay at a hotel and then park at Cape Liberty. Of course you do loose the convenience of just getting in the car and heading home.

Wherever you do decide to stay, and having just sailed from Bayonne on November 20th Anthem I can offer this tip. Go early! We learned this from our trip on Anthem in December 2015. We drove down to the port and arrived for parking ($140 for the week) at 9:45. The long shore-man are there and ready to take your luggage curbside and then you proceed directly to the parking garage very conveniently located next to the terminal. We were able to park on level 2 (more on this below) when you get into the terminal find any RC rep with an iPad. They are everywhere. You must check in with them before proceeding thru security. then keep your sail pass in hand because you will be asked to show it 4 or 5 more times as you proceed. We breezed through the terminal and were on the ship by 10:15.

On board we were watching the port activity from deck 14 and around 11 the traffic line to get into the port got really long. If you haven't been to Bayonne before there is a rather long approach to the terminal through the Navy Yard. The traffic backed up far out of sight of the ship There is no express line for shuttles, buses, cabs, limos etc .It must have kept the terminal pretty busy because the ship felt abandoned of guests until 1:30 or so. Also, I don't know if we just got lucky this time but when the locked doors to the cabin ares opened at 1:00 PM our luggage was already at our door.

A final tip on Bayonne is disembarkation day. If you do park in the garage you need to PAY FIRST! There is NO PLACE to pay when you exit the garage and they will send you back. When you leave the port and go to the garage walk towards the right and not the the elevators. There are 5 pay stations there. I think 3 were for credit and 2 were for cash. If you have the cash use it because there was no line to any of the pay stations for them. As I mentioned above we parked on level 2. The crush at the two elevators is a lot more than you will expect. Lots of people with lots of luggage all there at once. After paying for our parking we walked up the ramp to level 2 to our car. We were in our car and on the road in minutes.

We did do early departure carry off with our luggage so there were considerably less people than what I imagine there would be with the normal disembarkation time so consider that as well.