Tracelets are back

It's funny how technology decisions come back around.

Princess went the medallion route which is very similar to a tracelet or even Apple's AirTag.  It's their version of a wow band on the Royal ships that are wow enabled but now the whole fleet has them.

Royal declared that wearables are out and leveraging everyone's smartphone was the way to go.  

Now that decision is working against them, requiring a wearable exclusively for tracking purposes.  

Allowing personal devices is fraught with technical challenges.  FB may require a specific bios version to work, or maybe a specific hardware version.  Someone upgrades their FB the week before the cruise and now the system doesn't recognize it.  

MSC uses a FB like smart device but they supply it.  It's running their version of code and they control it.  

Royal may be using phones too, or collecting data from them and feeding that data into the system that the tracelets use.  

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Allowing personal devices is fraught with technical challenges.  FB may require a specific bios version to work, or maybe a specific hardware version.  Someone upgrades their FB the week before the cruise and now the system doesn't recognize it.  

MSC uses a FB like smart device but they supply it.  It's running their version of code and they control it.  

Royal may be using phones too, or collecting data from them and feeding that data into the system that the tracelets use.  

You forgot the biggest issue. You have to have bluetooth turned on for the tracing app to trace.  Who constantly keeps bluetooth on, especially while on vacation?

45 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

You forgot the biggest issue. You have to have bluetooth turned on for the tracing app to trace.  Who constantly keeps bluetooth on, especially while on vacation?

They trace based on wifi too, much like every retailer who has free wifi in their stores.  

If a retailer offers free wifi, it's to trace, not out of kindness.  I've done RFID in commercial applications for years.  

I think it would be easier for them to have just the one system where it’s obvious that the passenger is wearing the tracelet at all times, rather than who has their cell phone with them, or who is still wearing a Fitbit… This would seem to be a simple task for something that may not be a long term requirement. Easier than creating new programs for several devices. Plus, they have to satisfy the CDC…..just sayin’…

28 minutes ago, CrusingfromClayton said:

Are they able to use it in a manner similar to Disney's Magic Bands, so that it can be used for payment and cabin access? If so, that would be perfect!

Nope, tracelets have a singular focus.

Keep in mind you don't have to wear it on your wrist. It just needs to be with you at all times, so you could put it on your belt buckle or attach to a purse.

36 minutes ago, Matt said:

Nope, tracelets have a singular focus.

Keep in mind you don't have to wear it on your wrist. It just needs to be with you at all times, so you could put it on your belt buckle or attach to a purse.

So as long as the tracelet is visible, you're OK?  Like you couldn't put it in your pocket.

9 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

So as long as the tracelet is visible, you're OK?  Like you couldn't put it in your pocket.

Hang it on a belt loop or make it a pendant.  

Q

What is a Tracelet™? Who needs to wear it? What if I cannot wear it on my wrist?

A

The Tracelet™ is a comfortable, water-resistant, hypoallergenic wearable worn by all guests and crew during the cruise. The Tracelet™ helps us with contact tracing in the unlikely event of an onboard health concern. Therefore, everyone onboard regardless of age, needs to wear it. Should you be unable to wear it on your wrist, we will find another way for you to wear it. Any guest who chooses not to wear the Tracelet™ will be unable to sail.

9 minutes ago, twangster said:

Hang it on a belt loop or make it a pendant.  

Q

What is a Tracelet™? Who needs to wear it? What if I cannot wear it on my wrist?

A

The Tracelet™ is a comfortable, water-resistant, hypoallergenic wearable worn by all guests and crew during the cruise. The Tracelet™ helps us with contact tracing in the unlikely event of an onboard health concern. Therefore, everyone onboard regardless of age, needs to wear it. Should you be unable to wear it on your wrist, we will find another way for you to wear it. Any guest who chooses not to wear the Tracelet™ will be unable to sail.

Right, but I couldn't put it in my pocket, as to assure people that I do in fact have it.

28 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Right, but I couldn't put it in my pocket, as to assure people that I do in fact have it.

My Sister-In-Law just returned a couple of weeks ago from a Viking cruise around Iceland and they had to carry a round trace thing.  They were allowed to put it in a pocket.  They had to have it any time they were our of their stateroom. Their cruise was fully vax'd and they had to saliva test daily.  No one tested positive on their cruise.