MDR menu/schedule

Is there a way to find out the MDR menu and schedule for an upcoming cruise?

We have the UDP, but want to dine in the MDR a couple nights based on what is being served that night. We know that the second we get on the ship we need to make our specialty dining reservations, so having all the info will help where to eat at what evening. Thanks!

41 minutes ago, San Diego Garrett said:

Is there a way to find out the MDR menu and schedule for an upcoming cruise?

We have the UDP, but want to dine in the MDR a couple nights based on what is being served that night. We know that the second we get on the ship we need to make our specialty dining reservations, so having all the info will help where to eat at what evening. Thanks!

Not trying to pry....just wondering why you would choose to eat in the MDR if you have the UDP.

If the reason is that you would not want to miss a certain MDR favorite, let me suggest something to you....

Even if you are dining in a specialty restaurant, you can STILL get food from the MDR !

My husband's favorite meal of the cruise is always the lamb shank...but we always purchase the UDP.  So on lamb shank night, he will order that, even when we are in one of the specialty restaurants. Same with lobster night, etc.

So, (as an example) you are in Chops on lobster night, just ask the waiter to bring you a (or a many as you want !!) lobster tail from the MDR along with your steak.  The only thing I would recommend is that when you do this (order MDR food at a specialty restaurant) you let the restaurant know ahead of time that you're going to be ordering MDR food.  That way, they will have it on hand and it will not cause them extra stress by taking them off guard.  BTW, ordering [MDR] lobster on lobster night in Chops is very common....lots of people do it and they will almost certainly have lobster on hand anyway.  Some of the other MDR specialties (lamb shank, for instance) are not as common so it's a courtesy to let them know ahead of time.

And OBTW, it doesn't have to just be an entree like lobster or lamb shank either.  Very often I will order the cream of mushroom soup as an appetizer even when I am not in Chops.

Special note:  you can order MDR food in the specialty restaurants and you can cross-order specialty restaurant food in other specialty restaurants but you canNOT order specialty restaurant food in the MDR.

21 minutes ago, Pooch said:

I don’t know, well I do know YOU know what you’re talking about but I still feel like I’d be asking too much to have them send an order of lemon harissa chicken and maybe 16 lobster tails to CK so hubby can have scallops and gnocchi?‍♀️?‍♀️

LOL. That's too funny.  I would love to see the look on the waiter's face when you place that order....

I will say this....each and every ship and restaurant is different.  MOST of the time you will have no problem with a specialty order...especially between....say Chops and Giovanni's on an O class b/c those restaurants are in such close proximity.  It's pretty darned easy to go over to Chops and pick up a bowl of mushroom soup if you're serving in Giovanni's.  That is not necessarily always true on every ship.  I have never ever ordered any "outside" specialty food at Izumi.  That just seems wrong.  But between Chops and Giovanni's.  Sure.  BTW, I've also asked for red velvet cake when dining in Giovanni's.  Yum.

Only once have I ever had pushback and that just so happened to be in Coastal Kitchen.  On our last Star Class cruise, we were in the CK (can't remember what night but most likely filet night as we usually skip CK when we're SC except for filet night).  I asked to have a bowl of mushroom soup.  The waiter balked.  The manager came over and started to give me nonsense about it being a health code violation.  Of course, I knew better.  I have done this dozens of time...but I did not give him any attitude.  I just thanked him and let it go.  In about 5 minutes, here comes my soup.  I don't know what changed their minds...not sure if it was the SC thing or if they just decided to do it...but I was grateful and I told both the waiter and the manager how much I appreciated the extra effort.  It's a LONG haul from the CK down to Chops to fetch a bowl of soup and I certainly understand their hesitance in doing this during the busy part of the evening meal service.  Frankly, I probably won't ever do that again.

Oh...and one special note about lobster and the CK.  If you ever decide that you want a MDR lobster while dining in the CK (of course this only applies on lobster night in the MDR) be SURE that you ask for the MDR lobster tail.  If you just say, "I'll have the lobster" (like I did once !!) you will get some nasty blob of what I assume is lobster or lobster-like substance in an orange gelatinous sauce.  Repulsive-looking and worse-tasting.  CK does NOT serve the lobster tail....you have to ask for it from the MDR.

I will take this up with the suites concierge. I’m sure he/she will let me know if I’m asking too much.  My current list of requests are:

2 nights in CK for 6 (4 in OS 2 in JS)

reservations for 3 @ Izumi Sushi & 3 @ Sabor (same night)

the lobster night question 

I try to be low maintenance!

Oh PS: can you order more than 1 on filet night?  Have no doubt hubby will want 2!

The tangent my original question has gone off on is very entertaining and informative on its own for sure.

So, far the answer I have been given is it should be on the app.

Is that information that can be found in the dining section of the app a few days before the start of the cruise? Does it actually say Night 1 this is the MDR menu, Night 2 this is the menu and so on?

Thanks again for everyone's help and experiences.

So sorry!?. If you go to your cruise in the app and click on the dining link on the bottom, you can go to the main dining room tab across the top & look at the dinner menu for every night.  My Harmony cruise in March is already there.  If you don’t see a menu for your particular cruise, check another ship in the same class & length.  I have found the menus to be pretty consistent across the board.  Only thing I see is the nights are not always the same. For example some cruises show lobster night on day 5, some day 6.  Mine shows it day 3.  So the rotation may change but the menus do not.  When is your cruise & what ship?

Thanks Pooch! That is perfect.

Embarrassed to say my cruise isn't until next June on Symphony. I'm just one of those people that likes to get prepared to be prepared. Lol.

We are going on the Navigator for Thanksgiving week, but that will be a 100% MDR cruise, so the menu/schedule doesn't really matter for that one.

Symphony just went out today I believe, so very curious to read some feedback on that cruise as people start to post some things.

Thanks again for the help and info!

On another tangent-I was in Sky class on harmony and really wanted to try “the world” from wonderland.   We did not have the dining package.  The maitre’d in CK, Ace, arranged for us to have desert in the wonderland, which was awesome.  I also noticed waiters serving “the world” to several tables in CK, but it was neat to have it in the restaurant.   We were not charged and did not have any dining plan-we love CK

1 hour ago, San Diego Garrett said:

The tangent my original question has gone off on is very entertaining and informative on its own for sure.

So, far the answer I have been given is it should be on the app.

Is that information that can be found in the dining section of the app a few days before the start of the cruise? Does it actually say Night 1 this is the MDR menu, Night 2 this is the menu and so on?

Thanks again for everyone's help and experiences.

Correct it can be viewed in the app

Tap "Dining" at the bottom of the screen. Then select "Main Dining" tab.

Screenshot_20210814-181405_Royal.thumb.jpg.1bdd9ead4e2443bea91b6a717d46df11.jpg

Pick any of the dining rooms

Screenshot_20210814-181425_Royal.thumb.jpg.05134d62c4d46708cb762c750a18f875.jpg

Pick menu, then select the options as needed. Can change days at the bottom.

Screenshot_20210814-181501_Royal.thumb.jpg.3236ac44a15a5ebcf46b68fdd5d8bf0a.jpg

2 hours ago, San Diego Garrett said:

Thanks Pooch! That is perfect.

Embarrassed to say my cruise isn't until next June on Symphony. I'm just one of those people that likes to get prepared to be prepared. Lol.

We are going on the Navigator for Thanksgiving week, but that will be a 100% MDR cruise, so the menu/schedule doesn't really matter for that one.

Symphony just went out today I believe, so very curious to read some feedback on that cruise as people start to post some things.

Thanks again for the help and info!

Oh believe me, I have been drooling over menus for months or at least since they’ve started to show up!!  Trying to gauge what 6 adults might want on any given night makes me crazy ESPECIALLY my dear brother who doesn’t get the concept of advance reservations (how do I know what I’ll want to eat?!?). Told him “ you’ll eat what I damn well tell you to!!!”  ??

I will tell him where to find the menus for MDR and CK about a month out and give him and my nephew a chance to weigh in.  If I don’t get anything from them by the time the concierge emails me, so sad, too bad.  As my grandson says “you get what you get and you don’t get upset!”

ON my OY cruise 9/19. I'm trying to look at the menus for the MD and I can load days 1 & 2 dinners, day 2&3 breakfasts, but that's all

From there on it says the venue is closed.  It's the MD! . it doesn't matter which option I pick - MD 3 (V*); MD4; or My time(V*) it's closed.?

Though when I go to my sailing on Allure in November all the nights are there.

This may be the greatest thread of tips I have gleaned from this forum.

I shall be over here eagerly awaiting the nights I can consume Key Lime pie to my heart's content. Yes, I will always have room for that particular dessert. ? I suppose I shall endeavor to figure out the trivial things like appetizers and the "main course" as well. ?

On 8/14/2021 at 5:08 PM, Pooch said:

Hope this helps!

Thanks for your instructions on finding the MDR menu.  I checked mine out (just for the heck of it) and am a bit confused.  My upcoming cruise on Oasis is a 4-nighter but the lobster shows up on Day 5!  Can I assume maybe it will be served on the final night of the cruise?  Also...on the Premium menu (at bottom) each night shows you can order a full lobster for $29.95...what is your take on that?  We are cruising with friends who have never been on Royal and since it is a short cruise and we are considerate of their spending we did not purchase UDP so we will be in MDR.  Although I did make reservations for one night at Solarium Bistro...

Thanks for any tips... 

2 hours ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

Thanks for your instructions on finding the MDR menu.  I checked mine out (just for the heck of it) and am a bit confused.  My upcoming cruise on Oasis is a 4-nighter but the lobster shows up on Day 5!  Can I assume maybe it will be served on the final night of the cruise?  Also...on the Premium menu (at bottom) each night shows you can order a full lobster for $29.95...what is your take on that?  We are cruising with friends who have never been on Royal and since it is a short cruise and we are considerate of their spending we did not purchase UDP so we will be in MDR.  Although I did make reservations for one night at Solarium Bistro...

Thanks for any tips... 

sorry, I sound like more of an expert than I am!  I will weigh in on the lobster upcharge. Let me preface this by saying I live in New England.  I would not pay for the lobster.  I can get a much bigger one locally for way less.  If however, you live in an area where lobster is not readily available AND it is indeed cold water lobster AND you are willing to get messy, it’s not an unreasonable charge for lobster in a restaurant.  

18 minutes ago, Pooch said:

sorry, I sound like more of an expert than I am!  I will weigh in on the lobster upcharge. Let me preface this by saying I live in New England.  I would not pay for the lobster.  I can get a much bigger one locally for way less.  If however, you live in an area where lobster is not readily available AND it is indeed cold water lobster AND you are willing to get messy, it’s not an unreasonable charge for lobster in a restaurant.  

Thanks...I live in RI so can get lobster whenever

31 minutes ago, teddy said:

Hope you are ok down there with Henri having made landfall 

I hear the coastal communities are without power and have a bit of wind damage.  I am about half hour drive from there.  We are still getting strong winds but really escaped the rain!  Guess the rain was more on the West side of the storm...thankfully!  My son had a large evergreen bush fall from his front yard but no damage to his house!  Still have power so that is a good thing!   Thanks for checking...I believe you'll be getting some of the remnants??

I suspect that what you can see in the app for the MDR menus are kind of standard menu items and may be subject to significant change. My thought is based on the fact that my family and I are going on Oasis over the week of Thanksgiving. I checked the menu in the app and the Day 5 menu doesn't include the typical MDR Thanksgiving fare. I've cruised twice previously over Thanksgiving, and while it could be different this time, I would think they would have the basic Thanksgiving items.

I had a “traditional” turkey dinner on Mariner in Feb 2020.  Hands down the WORST meal I have ever had on RC.  No way that meat was ever attached to a bird.  Unfortunately my grandson was also eating it without complaint (no accounting for taste!) so I didn’t want to send it back.  Hit the WJ later.  I could not choke it down!