Vaccines requirement is real

Sometimes the "play dumb and ask for forgiveness later" route doesn't work.

That whole story is one big red flag.  Their TA didn't know about the vaccine requirement? They just spent a few thousand on a cruise, but can't afford a flight home? (even though they presumably had their post-cruise flight home booked that they could just change?)

I know.  I can’t decide if they literally did not read ANY information about their cruise-despite planning it for 2 years- or if they trusted what sounds like an incompetent travel agent.  I am on the same ship in 2 weeks and everything I have signed clearly states vaccines are required for everyone over the age of 12

29 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Sounds like they should fire their TA if they're claiming the TA didn't know about the requirements either.

Agreed It is clear as day on the the website

GETTING READY TO CRUISE FROM SEATTLE, WASHINGTONOn Serenade of the Seas and Ovation of the Seas in August 2021

The protocols communicated here apply only to guests departing from Seattle, Washington in August 2021 on Serenade of the Seas® and Ovation of the Seas®. We will continue to update these protocols as public health situations evolve. Guidance for all other departure ports is still in development on with federal, state and local authorities. Booked guests will be provided full details specific to their port of departure prior to sailing.

health-safety-insurance-icon-tile.png

Vaccination Requirements

For cruises departing Seattle in August 2021: All guests age 12 and older must present proof of COVID-19 vaccination, with the final dose of their vaccine administered at least 14 days before sailing.

All crew onboard Serenade of the Seas and Ovation of the Seas will be fully vaccinated.

Read Detailed Vaccine FAQs

health-safety-testing-icon-navigation.png

Testing Requirements

Required Testing for All Guests on All Sailings

All guests age 2 and older — regardless of their vaccination status or the length of their cruise — will need to take a COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) with an accredited test provider, such as a drugstore chain or diagnostic lab, no more than 3 days before arriving at the terminal and show their negative test result upon arriving. The results can be printed out, or can be presented on your phone, such as the email result from your test provider. Costs associated with this test are the guests' responsibility.

Additional COVID-19 Testing For Unvaccinated Guests 2-11 Years Old

As a requirement to sail with us, all unvaccinated guests ages 2 to 11 must undergo 2 more COVID-19 tests.

At the Terminal
Unvaccinated guests ages 2 to 11 are required to take a complimentary PCR test when checking in at the terminal. Registration details will be sent via email in advance.

Prior to Disembarking
While onboard, unvaccinated guests ages 2 to 11 will be required to undergo complimentary antigen testing before disembarking at the end of the voyage. This test will be conducted within 24 hours before the cruise ends. Vaccinated guests who require a COVID-19 test for re-entry into their destination country may receive one onboard as well. Guests will be notified onboard about how to register for this test.

Guests under 2 years of age will not be tested.

Read Detailed Testing FAQs

health-safety-clipboard-checklist-icon-navigation.png

Travel Documents Checklist

Guests sailing from Seattle, Washington on Serenade of the Seas and Ovation of the Seas will need to have the following documents when they arrive to board the ship.

• A Passport Book or Passport Card valid for at least six months after your cruise, is strongly recommended. If you do not have a Passport, you may present a state-certified U.S. Birth Certificate (not a "baby feet" hospital certificate or baptismal paper). Guests age 16 and older that present a Birth Certificate will also need to provide a valid Driver's License or picture ID issued by the government.
  • COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card to board the ship. This is a requirement for all guests age 12 and older sailing in August 2021.
  • COVID-19 Test Result: All guests age 2 and older — including those who have been vaccinated — will need to present a negative COVID-19 result, for a PCR or antigen test taken no more than 3 days before arriving at the terminal.
  • Health Questionnaire to be completed on our Royal Caribbean App the day before you board.

Read Detailed Travel Documents FAQs

check-in-icon.png

Cruise Ready Recap

Follow these steps for a smooth boarding day.

• Get Vaccinated: It’s required for guests 12 and older sailing in August 2021 — make sure you complete your full dosage at least 14 days before your sail date.
  • 30 Days Before: Download the Royal Caribbean App and check in for your cruise. Once in the app, you’ll select a 30-minute arrival time slot for your boarding day. It is very important you stick to this arrival window, as we’re arranging the boarding and testing process to accommodate a certain number of guests at one time.
  • 3 Days Before: All guests age 2 and older must take a COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) no more than 3 days before arriving at the terminal.
  • 1 Day Before: All guests must complete our Guest Health questionnaire on the Royal App.

health-safety-family-travel-icon-navigation.png

What to Expect On Boarding Day

Getting ready to go aboard

• Arrive at the terminal within the arrival time slot you selected during Royal App check-in. Those who arrive early will not be able to begin boarding, and those who arrive late will need to wait until we are able to work them into another group.
  • We’ll guide you step by step on the document validation.
  • For those parties traveling with unvaccinated guests ages 2 to 15 (or 2 to 11 on cruises departing in August), we will also guide you through the COVID-19 testing process. Expect a short wait time for results before boarding.
  • Make sure you wear your face mask at all times during the boarding process.

Read Detailed Boarding Day FAQs

health-safety-ship-icon-hub.png

Onboard the Ship

What to Expect During Your Cruise
If you’ve sailed with us before, you’ll notice there are fewer guests onboard, letting you ease back into vacation mode. The ship’s venues are set up to easily allow for physical distancing throughout your time onboard. Some venues and nightlife events will be for vaccinated guests only, and masks won't be required in those areas. Please note, your SeaPass card will be required to access lounges, shows and dining venues, so keep it handy at all times during your cruise.

See details on venues and activities access on Serenade of the Seas
See details on venues and activities access on Ovation of the Seas

Mask Guidance

Below is current guidance for all guests age 2 and up. Guests under the age of 2 do not need to wear a mask.

Masks are NOT required to be worn:

• In open-air areas of the ship, unless you are in a crowded setting.
  • In the pool or any activity where they may become wet.
  • At venues designated for vaccinated guests only, such as select bars, lounges, restaurants and shows.
  • In your stateroom when you are with your traveling party.
  • While visiting our private destination, Perfect Day at CocoCay, unless you are in a crowded setting.
  • By any guest under the age of 2.

Masks ARE required to be worn:

• While indoors onboard the ship, unless seated and actively eating or drinking.
  • While visiting public ports of call, where local regulations may require them.

Dining & Lounges
In the Main Dining Room, which spans multiple decks, we will designate areas for everyone, including parents and unvaccinated children, and areas for vaccinated parties only. My Time Dining will not be available to parties that include unvaccinated guests.

Most specialty restaurants will be open to everyone, while a few will be for vaccinated parties only. If you prefer a buffet, Windjammer will be open to everyone for breakfast and lunch, and the food will be served by our crew. We recommend that you make dining reservations via Cruise Planner before your cruise or the Royal Caribbean app onboard. Grab-and-go cafes will also be available for everyone.

Entertainment
Theaters and activity venues will offer spaced seating with options for everyone and for vaccinated guests only. Be sure to make show reservations once onboard using the Royal Caribbean app.

safest-destinations.png

Going Ashore

At ports of call, fully vaccinated parties may book a shore excursion or visit the port freely. Travel parties with unvaccinated guests that wish to go ashore, including parents traveling with unvaccinated children, must purchase a local tour through Royal Caribbean. We have worked with local tour operators to ensure they follow health and safety guidance that aligns with our Healthy Sail Panel recommendations. Shore Excursions are available at a variety of price points and may be purchased in advance on Cruise Planner or once onboard using the Royal Caribbean App. This policy is subject to change as we continue to evaluate circumstances around the globe. All guests are subject to local restrictions and requirements in the ports we visit, such as local mask ordinances.

Vaccinated parents wishing to go ashore freely can visit our youth facilities once onboard to learn about drop off program hours and availability, and reserve time for their child on the day they wish to go in port.

health-safety-phone-app-icon.png

Questions?

They claim that they were never told of the “changes” but Alaska cruises have always been vaccinated only since the very beginning. The only change was getting a negative test, right?

So they checked online into the cruise, all without noticing that it was a vaccinated only cruise?

I have a feeling that they are also the kind of people that I would run into at windjammer trying to use a water cup to get soda out of the freestyle machine.?‍♂️

13 minutes ago, RockerDom31 said:

They claim that they were never told of the “changes” but Alaska cruises have always been vaccinated only since the very beginning. The only change was getting a negative test, right?

So they checked online into the cruise, all without noticing that it was a vaccinated only cruise?

I have a feeling that they are also the kind of people that I would run into at windjammer trying to use a water cup to get soda out of the freestyle machine.?‍♂️

Isn't there an attestation at check in that requires you to tick the box confirming vaccination status?

22 minutes ago, RockerDom31 said:

They claim that they were never told of the “changes” but Alaska cruises have always been vaccinated only since the very beginning.

Ovation was scheduled to leave from Seattle for over two years now.  I don't think they cancelled all cruises that were booked before the pandemic and created new cruises like they did for Serenade that was supposed to sail from Vancouver but moved to Seattle with ATRA.   

However I think most of us can read between the lines and know how this likely went down.  The dunce force is strong with some anti-vaxxers.  

55 minutes ago, RockerDom31 said:

I have a feeling that they are the ones with 6 kids, so the Adults buy the Full drink package and their kids, their kids friends and a couple of aunts, uncles and grandparents use the Freestyle cups and just pour it into other cups.  Wow, I am even more judgmental than I thought.

My issue with this, beside the obvious as stated in the comments above, is the news media practically salivating over these stories….’left to fend for themselves’…what, were they abandoned in a forest filled with wolves? …’trip of a lifetime’…isn’t that what they always say? …’fixed incomes. And they FRANKLY can’t afford to stay the night in Seattle and then fly home early to Illinois’ …what are they, penniless and laying in the gutter? …’They will work to be made whole by Royal Caribbean’…yeah, make sure you keep pushing the victimization narrative. It’s such a shame that agenda-driven so-called journalists can’t even google information and report the facts. Whatever happened to fair and balanced…or even just reasonable common sense? Nope. Gotta get eyeballs on the story.

Yet another example of the truth being ‘enhanced’ and ‘dramatized’ for clickbait articles. ?

There are a lot of straightforward news reports about Covid with great info…and then there are those like this.  I had to wonder how much research went into this report at all.

I agree that we probably follow updates more closely than many cruisers but the health attestation form and the cruise contract for the 8/27 sailing, both of which you must sign to check in, clearly state that you must be fully vaccinated.  I feel certain that those sailing on 8/13 had to sign similar documents.   

5 hours ago, Fairlynew said:

Ovation of the Seas set sail on 8/13 and left a group of unvaccinated passengers on the dock

http://a.msn.com/03/en-us/AANiZTo?ocid=sms

What heck is the matter with their TA and are they new cruisers? Policies clearly stated by royal in June and posted by Matt! Don't think they should really be blaming Royal Caribbean for their lack of attention to detail ...just saying

Royal Caribbean's vaccine policy for 2021 cruises

IN: 
 June 15, 2021
By: 
Matt Hochberg

Will Royal Caribbean require a vaccine for its passengers on cruise ships? The answer is it depends where you sail out from in 2021.

RCI_OA_LABADEE_122019_CC_YouthFam_LISIEW

Over the last few months, there has been plenty of sound bites, quotes, and interviews by various Royal Caribbean executives on the issue of vaccines, but what is the answer right now?

Royal Caribbean clarified its position on vaccine requirements to make things as simple for everyone right now.

For cruises departing from all U.S. ports (except Florida ports), Royal Caribbean requires all guests 16 years of age or older to be fully vaccinated, and from Aug. 1, all guests 12 years of age or older must be fully vaccinated.

RCI_NV_OOH_032019_J%26D_DP_1_5624_RET_B.

Kids that are not old enough to qualify to get the vaccine will be able to sail with a negative test result and must follow certain protocols.

All crew members will be fully vaccinated.

Vaccine requirements based on departure port

allure-aerial-side.jpg

The vaccine policies, which are in line with local regulations, are currently the following: 

• Cruises from Seattle: Guests who are 16 years of age or older must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, and those 12 or older as of Aug. 1
  • Cruises from Florida: It is strongly recommend

1 hour ago, cruisellama said:

I contend that if you're a member of this site, you probably follow the RCL published policies a little closer than those that don't.

They still had to complete check-in before arriving at the pier, so there was no way they were completely ignorant of what was going to happen to them when they got there.

8 hours ago, MrMarc said:

I have a feeling that they are the ones with 6 kids, so the Adults buy the Full drink package and their kids, their kids friends and a couple of aunts, uncles and grandparents use the Freestyle cups and just pour it into other cups.  Wow, I am even more judgmental than I thought.

Totally off topic, but several years ago I saw a woman at a quick service restaurant at a Disney Resort who had several kids with her and one refillable mug.  She scanned the mug then proceeded to fill up an empty bread bag with pop from the soda machine and then headed off to their room. It takes all kinds...

39 minutes ago, JessyCruises said:

Totally off topic, but several years ago I saw a woman at a quick service restaurant at a Disney Resort who had several kids with her and one refillable mug.  She scanned the mug then proceeded to fill up an empty bread bag with pop from the soda machine and then headed off to their room. It takes all kinds...

Probably the same person that was filling plastic grocery bags with gas in North Carolina when that pipeline was shut down

19 hours ago, cruisellama said:

I contend that if you're a member of this site, you probably follow the RCL published policies a little closer than those that don't.

Of course, I agree.

But it's not like hundreds of people are showing up to the cruise terminal each week for their sailing and denied boarding because they were unaware of the rules.

This particular family is an example of simple ignorance. They're like the Griswolds driving the Wally World without checking if the park is open before leaving.

21 hours ago, MrMarc said:

Wow, I am even more judgmental than I thought.

I'm sure you said this a bit tongue-in-cheek, but I don't see your statement as judgmental at all.

When people don't follow the rules, especially examples like abusing the unlimited use cup you mentioned, eventually it takes good things away from those that do. I say "usually" because exceptions do occur. An intersection near my house used to be "no U-turn," but, so many people made the illegal U-turn anyway, they removed the restriction.  Now that intersection has increased accidents (and near misses) because it is an unsafe place to make a U-turn, basically due to poor lines-of-sight in the necessary directions. Even on a good day, I would argue this has taken something away from those of us that do follow the rules at that intersection - the ability to make safe right-turns on red, etc.

I think, in the case of this person showing up for a vaccine only cruise, that they deliberately ignored the rules and tried to play dumb. Is that judgmental? Perhaps. But I have checked in for my October cruise online, and everything is well spelled out - online, in the app, etc. I know I need a Covid test within a few days of the cruise and my wife and I are making plans for this. I know, since it sails out of Florida, to pay attention to the vaccine requirements and the methods of reporting our status, etc. I'm not sure how anyone can say anything has changed or not been communicated. Perhaps I am wrong, though.

We can argue all day about the efficacy of the vaccine, the intrusiveness of wearing the masks, whether we should be required to wear shoes while walking around the ship, people pushing into the buffet line, why we cannot sunbathe nude on our private balcony (there's a great Love Boat episode starring Barbi Benton), and a great many other issues. We can work to change the rules, especially if they are unjust (intentionally or unintentionally - like the U-Turn intersection). But, in a civilized society, we should all agree to follow the rules.

Just my thought for the day... Maybe I should get a cup of coffee ☕ before posting. ?

21 hours ago, Hoppy2cruise said:

This assumes they knew to check in online.  It is unlikely anyone will ever know the facts. 

I think the facts are very simple.  However they made their reservations, it was their responsibility to know what the boarding requirements were, especially in the current situation.  The fact is they thought they knew, but they were wrong.  It doesn't necessarily mean they are bad or stupid people.  It is the same reason that you didn't check your pocket for the tickets that you left at home.  You didn't check because you KNEW they were in your pocket, however you were wrong.  If you had not been sure they were in your pocket, you would have checked. 

The real issues is that this shouldn't be news, and in no way should RCCL be blamed.  However, if they sought out the press to publicize their mistake and/or tried to blame RCCL, then I think it is possible to infer things about their personality based on that.

32 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

Please don't use that example.  The facts of that case are actually quite different than most people believe.  It was more than hot coffee. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v._McDonald's_Restaurants

More like, "please remove child from stroller before folding" or "do not drive car with sun shield in use"

I have no sympathy for these people as the rules are clearly marked. I think my issue is if they are that much of a penny pincher to the point they weren't prepared for things like trip interruptions, why book the cruise? Like if money is that tight or that this was the trip of their dreams, I would have crossed all my T's and dotted every I. Even if it was FL rules, they needed to have insurance and pay for the test.....it makes absolutely no sense. I bet they think this story will force RCG into giving them something as it is bad publicity........but it just makes them look bad.

12 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

I bet they think this story will force RCG into giving them something as it is bad publicity........but it just makes them look bad

Only to experienced cruisers. To everyone else (the majority of people) the cruise line is horrible for leaving them behind. That is why the news loves negative stories about cruise lines because the majority of the population is clueless about the industry and view it as something only ‘privileged’ people do. And we all know how North Americans love to attack those they perceive as privileged.

20 hours ago, PetraElise said:

I have no sympathy.  I’m not even considering an Alaska cruise and I knew the policy for sailings out of Seattle.  Each of us has a responsibility to find out what travel documents are needed anytime we travel.  If you choose not to take the time, it’s on you.

No kidding. How can any half-way responsible adult who knows how to book a cruise, airfare, etc. during the pandemic NOT be aware of various Covid-related travel restrictions/requirements?

My travel agent has been pinging us consistently to ensure we are vaxed up and to set up a Covid test 3-days prior to our embarkation day.