Florida Sailings - Proof of Negative COVID Test

TC FLA

We are taking Allure of the Seas out of Port Canaveral on September 5. We have to have proof of a negative COVID test within three days of embarking. This means the earliest we can test is Thursday September 2. Finding a rapid test in Florida is almost impossible unless we pay almost $150 each thru a private clinic. 

I think if we do the PCR test, which is much easier to schedule and has far more availability, we will get our results in time for Sunday. My concern is with it being so close to the weekend and I don't know of the labs email or text results on Saturdays or Sundays.

Can anyone share some insight on this or let me know what your experiences have been with turnaround times on PCR test results. Thank you!

If you have insurance you can schedule an antigen test at CVS with a quick same day turn around. There is no out of pocket cost if you have insurance. I am not sure where you live but you should google for the nearest CVS to your home, where you can sign up for an appointment. I did it for us yesterday at a CVS near us for an August 24th appointment. I immediately received email confirmation of the appointment. Where do you live? 

12 minutes ago, luvstodans said:

If you have insurance you can schedule an antigen test at CVS with a quick same day turn around. There is no out of pocket cost if you have insurance. I am not sure where you live but you should google for the nearest CVS to your home, where you can sign up for an appointment. I did it for us yesterday at a CVS near us for an August 24th appointment. I immediately received email confirmation of the appointment. Where do you live? 

The earliest you can sign up for an appointment is 2 weeks ahead so for September 2nd test you will have access to appointment information through CVS on line covid test scheduling on Friday August 20th. Hope this is helpful and if You give me your area I can suggest a place for you?

2.04mi

North West 13Th Street Gainesville Covid - 19 Testing Site,

3904 North West 13th Street, Gainesville, FL 32609

Test type: Molecular lab test (PCR / NAAT)

Accepted for most travel and recreational purposes

Drive-thru test (vehicle required)

Results within 1-2 days

Available times on Wed., 8/25
10:00 AM10:10 AM10:20 AM10:30 AM10:40 AM10:50 AM11:00 AM11:10 AM11:20 AM11:30 AM11:40 AM11:50 AM12:00 PM12:10 PM12:20 PM12:30 PM12:40 PM12:50 PM01:00 PM01:10 PM02:40 PM02:50 PM03:00 PM03:10 PM03:20 PM03:30 PM03:40 PM03:50 PM04:00 PM04:10 PM04:20 PM04:30 PM04:40 PM04:50 PM

Found this in Gainesville...seems plenty of availability but only PCR...how far are you willing to drive to get a Rapid test?

41.42mi

Winter Springs - Red Bug Lake Rd - Poct Covid -19 Testing Site,

5650 Red Bug Lake RD, Winter Springs, FL 32708

Test type: Rapid-result test (antigen)

Not accepted for all purposes, so be sure to check with venue, destination or airline.

Results within hours

Available times on Wed., 8/25

Two hours from you paid testing availability

I will also be on this cruise.  My experience with Walgreens was just about a 24 hour turnaround time for test results. We had 2 people testing at two different Walgreens, one had results before 24 hours and one came a few hours after. Walgreens billed my insurance, and they covered it even though it was a travel test. If you don't have insurance they send it through a government program so there's no charge.

I have already scoped out what locations do the quick tests in the area (Walgreens by me does NAAT and CVS does the rapid) and I have my calendar marked to schedule as soon as the availability opens for the dates I need. I will probably make a couple appointments just in case.

There's also the BinaxNOW Ag home test you can order online which is a rapid test you take proctored over a Zoom call. Royal does accept that as well and that's an idea if you absolutely can't find a test.

I think if you get the PCR locally but schedule an antigen that you may have to drive a little for as a backup or maybe even an appointment on your route as a failsafe, you should be fine.

1 hour ago, AshleyDillo said:

I will also be on this cruise.  My experience with Walgreens was just about a 24 hour turnaround time for test results. We had 2 people testing at two different Walgreens, one had results before 24 hours and one came a few hours after. Walgreens billed my insurance, and they covered it even though it was a travel test. If you don't have insurance they send it through a government program so there's no charge.

I have already scoped out what locations do the quick tests in the area (Walgreens by me does NAAT and CVS does the rapid) and I have my calendar marked to schedule as soon as the availability opens for the dates I need. I will probably make a couple appointments just in case.

There's also the BinaxNOW Ag home test you can order online which is a rapid test you take proctored over a Zoom call. Royal does accept that as well and that's an idea if you absolutely can't find a test.

I think if you get the PCR locally but schedule an antigen that you may have to drive a little for as a backup or maybe even an appointment on your route as a failsafe, you should be fine.

Thank you for the suggestions. I am totally ok with driving to another county to get it because I believe Duval is a hotspot right now. Scheduling a backup is a great idea.

I've had so many friends shocked we are going on this cruise but I feel confident with the measures RCCL has in place.

Thanks so much Ashley!

3 hours ago, TC FLA said:

unless we pay almost $150 each thru a private clinic

Just a PSA that anyone who pays anything for a COVID test should go ahead and make a claim after the fact with their insurance. Most insurance companies are actually reimbursing people. They just aren't advertising it. 

I have a super basic plan and just got nearly $1300 back from my assorted tests in the last two months.

20 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I have a question...to clarify in my mind.

If you are vaccinated then you can present either an antigen or PRC test, right ?

If you are unvaccinated it must be a PRC test ?

My understanding is everyone has to do antigen or PCR test up to 3 days before the cruise.

If you're vaccinated, that's it for testing.

Unvaccinated need to do another test at the terminal and at the end.

28 minutes ago, Matt said:

My understanding is everyone has to do antigen or PCR test up to 3 days before the cruise.

If you're vaccinated, that's it for testing.

Unvaccinated need to do another test at the terminal and at the end.

Cool.  Thanks.  For some reason I was thinking that the unvax had to do a PCR for their before-getting-to-the-terminal test.  I know that (at this time, anyway) there are 3 other tests for unvax.

39 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Cool.  Thanks.  For some reason I was thinking that the unvax had to do a PCR for their before-getting-to-the-terminal test.  I know that (at this time, anyway) there are 3 other tests for unvax.

I've seen that be the requirement for some entries to countries for normal travel, but not for the cruises.  It's hard hard to keep track of any protocols these days!

5 hours ago, TC FLA said:

I am in Jacksonville and searching CVS and Walgreens shows no rapid tests available. It's too early to schedule one for September 2, but currently up until August 28 it shows no availability. 

Try the Walgreens in Green Cove. I live right across the river from Green Cove and went there to get my vaccine because my Walgreens up the street from me and the Julington Creek were booked solid. Green Cove Walgreens was wide open. 

4 hours ago, TC FLA said:

I am totally ok with driving to another county to get it because I believe Duval is a hotspot right now. Scheduling a backup is a great idea.

Woo boy. I used to live in Duval county, so I'm familiar with the area and I just did a quick look for both Walgreens and CVS and yeah, it's very limited in your area.  I would be stalking the CVS schedule for when Thursday, Sept 2 opens up so you can try and grab an antigen test close to you.  Then use Walgreens and CVS to try and find a backup test for Friday or Saturday just in case.  

It also looks like you have a new option in Duval that starts up Monday for a drive-through antigen test: https://www.telescopehealth.com/covidtest/

I'm in Tallahassee and it's starting to get limited around here as well as far as testing goes.

15 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Is no one planning on using the supervised home tests ? To me that seems so much easier.

13 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Our next cruise isn't until March, but I'd most certainly use the at-home tests if that's still a requirement come then

I used them for my "re entry" test when flying home from Cabo last month.  It could not have been easier.

19 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

That's very interesting.  So you took the tests with you to Cabo and then used it to come back ?  

Yes sir, we weren't staying at a resort, so we didn't have the option of the free testing most resorts are offering.  We were in a private beach rental, took the test the day before we flew home (thankfully the house had a good internet connection), no problems.

1 hour ago, TC FLA said:

Based on Royal's site, you have to test "with an accredited test provider, such as a drugstore or diagnostic lab" so I am not taking any chances.

Royal does link to a large list of accepted tests which does include the BinaxNOW Ag test.  This particular one you take over Zoom and they certify the results for you in an email that you would use as your proof.  

On 8/14/2021 at 1:14 PM, WAAAYTOOO said:

Is no one planning on using the supervised home tests ? To me that seems so much easier.

We will be doing this for our Oct 1 cruise. Much more convenient than what we’ve been doing. I understand the wait for a proctor is a few hours right now, but as long as you plan for it the inconvenience is minimal ?

5 hours ago, Retirednavychief said:

New here just need some clarification. Also sailing on the Allure of the seas on 5 Sept. Contacted RCL and they told me the soonest I can get the COVID Test is on Friday the 3rd. On here and other sites it says 3 days prior to arriving at the port, so that makes it Thursday. So is it Thursday or Friday.

Thanks

I am on that sailing and Thursday is the earliest you can get the test.

• Thursday - test day (0)
  • Friday - day (1)
  • Saturday - day (2)
  • Sunday - Boarding Day (3)

On 8/14/2021 at 6:55 AM, AshleyDillo said:

I'm so relieved to hear Royal Caribbean accepts the BinaxNOW Ag home test proctored over Zoom. We have 12 people in our party and I'm having a very difficult time finding a location that has appointment availability -- especially for 12 people. Thank you for this information!

2 hours ago, Lynda said:

I'm so relieved to hear Royal Caribbean accepts the BinaxNOW Ag home test proctored over Zoom. We have 12 people in our party and I'm having a very difficult time finding a location that has appointment availability -- especially for 12 people. Thank you for this information!

Not accepted anymore 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-need-an-rt-pcr-test-before-i-cruise-where-should-i-go