Water shows - vaccinated only?

Marlena

16 minutes ago, Marlena said:

Anyone know what the rules are for aqua shows and vaccine status?

Just read a review from Symphony test cruise and HIRO was vaccinated only. I know its a test cruise and not official per say but ill be sad if my daughter can't enjoy that.

And it is outside after all...

I saw that, too.  Makes no sense at all.  I sure hope that they open the OUTSIDE AT to everyone.

26 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I saw that, too.  Makes no sense at all.  I sure hope that they open the OUTSIDE AT to everyone.

Makes zero sense. The pool area is totally fine to take your mask off and not social distance get the AT is off limits? You have to wonder who is the final person that puts that pen to paper and signs off on this? Did they even read it??? What an absolute mess. 

26 minutes ago, tonyfsu21 said:

Makes zero sense. The pool area is totally fine to take your mask off and not social distance get the AT is off limits? You have to wonder who is the final person that puts that pen to paper and signs off on this? Did they even read it??? What an absolute mess. 

The Solarium pools and whirlpools ar Vax only however  

I'm beginning to think it might be better just to have 100% vaccinated cruises. RCCL has already shown their hand as far as what they think of unvaccinated people who'd rather assess their own risk, beat the virus naturally, and avoid putting emergency authorization use drugs in their system.

It will then be disappointing to watch outbreaks, large and small, on the 100% vaccinated cruises. The CDC statistics and anecdotal experiences (yes you and I reading this both know of more than a few of our own friends that have become symptomatic with covid despite vaccination) have unequivocally demonstrated that the vaccinated populations are ALSO unfortunately being very much infected by Covid-19. But at least RCCL alienated and pushed a large portion of very loyal cruise fanatics off the ships to claim "hey we did every thing we could, we eliminated those that wouldn't toe the line with acceptable societal medical decisions".  

Maybe RCCL will then decide that if 100% vaccinated cruises are still suffering from outbreaks anyway, we might just as well have ALL people  back and stop dividing and pitting against each other a segment of the population that once shared a real love for a very special pastime together. 

2 hours ago, CruiseRoyalDad said:

I'm beginning to think it might be better just to have 100% vaccinated cruises. RCCL has already shown their hand as far as what they think of unvaccinated people who'd rather assess their own risk, beat the virus naturally, and avoid putting emergency authorization use drugs in their system.

It will then be disappointing to watch outbreaks, large and small, on the 100% vaccinated cruises. The CDC statistics and anecdotal experiences (yes you and I reading this both know of more than a few of our own friends that have become symptomatic with covid despite vaccination) have unequivocally demonstrated that the vaccinated populations are ALSO unfortunately being very much infected by Covid-19. But at least RCCL alienated and pushed a large portion of very loyal cruise fanatics off the ships to claim "hey we did every thing we could, we eliminated those that wouldn't toe the line with acceptable societal medical decisions".  

Maybe RCCL will then decide that if 100% vaccinated cruises are still suffering from outbreaks anyway, we might just as well have ALL people  back and stop dividing and pitting against each other a segment of the population that once shared a real love for a very special pastime together. 

What boggles my mind is that taking children under 12 on an unvaccinated passengers 12 plus allowed cruise with RCL means your entire party is basically treated as unvaccinated even if everybody 12 plus in your group is vaccinated  ……… YET, if you take children under 12 on an all passengers 12 plus vaccinated cruise, your entire party is treated as vaccinated ….. it’s the SAME kids under 12 on either cruise LOL

13 minutes ago, ChrisK2793 said:

What boggles my mind is that taking children under 12 on an unvaccinated passengers 12 plus allowed cruise with RCL means your entire party is basically treated as unvaccinated even if everybody 12 plus in your group is vaccinated  ……… YET, if you take children under 12 on an all passengers 12 plus vaccinated cruise, your entire party is treated as vaccinated ….. it’s the SAME kids under 12 on either cruise LOL

Chris stop, just stop. By this point we can't expect there to be logic in the policies, that expectation is enough to drive one mad. ?

13 minutes ago, ChrisK2793 said:

Well, it's not about the individuals, it's about herd immunity, for the ship as a whole.

The only thing that matters is what % onboard is vaccinated.  If it's too low, additional protocols/requirements are added, for both everyone and additional requirements for the unvaccinated.  Vaccinated cruises will have a higher % of vaccinated people onboard.  If the % of vaccinated people onboard is too low, additional protocols are needed.

If you have enough people vaccinated, it doesn't matter if you have a few people unvaccinated.  Royal just wants to make sure the virus doesn't overtake the entire ship, or they will have to stop sailing.

30 minutes ago, ChrisK2793 said:

I'm not sure I follow here.  Each passenger is treated as an individual related to vaccination status. There are still vaccinated only areas that the under 12 set won't be allowed to enter on the 12+ vaccinated cruises.  That doesn't change.  

56 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

I'm not sure I follow here.  Each passenger is treated as an individual related to vaccination status. There are still vaccinated only areas that the under 12 set won't be allowed to enter on the 12+ vaccinated cruises.  That doesn't change.  

There's also other vacation options until things change for the better, or until kids can get vaccinated.

It was my understanding that  those not vaccinated regardless of age can not enter vaccinated only areas...this is how the policy reads...not that under 12 unvaccinated can enter vaccinate only areas

""Travel parties with vaccinated and unvaccinated guests, such as parents with kids, should stick to those venues marked unvaccinated, when together." 

It sees that vaccinated adults can enter vaccinated areas only when the children are not with them. Under 12 unvaccinated will not be allowed in vaccinated only areas according to this policy.

23 minutes ago, alamode123 said:

There's also other vacation options until things change for the better, or until kids can get vaccinated.

True, but I'm hearing numbers for Royal ships that are allowing unvaccinated to still be at around 90% or so vaccinated. I can't think of anywhere else I could vacation with those kinds of odds that allows children who can't be vaccinated.

13 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

True, but I'm hearing numbers for Royal ships that are allowing unvaccinated to still be at around 90% or so vaccinated. I can't think of anywhere else I could vacation with those kinds of odds that allows children who can't be vaccinated.

Why not Canada? I think we're over 80 percent.

9 minutes ago, alamode123 said:

Why not Canada? I think we're over 80 percent.

For me personally I would have no problems with taking a vacay to Canada! I've loved my few visits there. However, I'm already in Florida and almost feel like I can escape our low vaccination rates on a cruise ship that I can easily drive to.  Canada would require a looooong drive (are the land borders open yet?) or a flight which seems riskier than being on a well under capacity cruise ship.

13 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

For me personally I would have no problems with taking a vacay to Canada! I've loved my few visits there. However, I'm already in Florida and almost feel like I can escape our low vaccination rates on a cruise ship that I can easily drive to.  Canada would require a looooong drive (are the land borders open yet?) or a flight which seems riskier than being on a well under capacity cruise ship.

Fair enough.

I feel bad for people trying to be responsible in areas where it seems so many aren't being responsible

45 minutes ago, alamode123 said:

Fair enough.

I feel bad for people trying to be responsible in areas where it seems so many aren't being responsible

I feel horrible for people that don't accept anything but one form of action as responsible and insist on forcing their  informed decision that is best for them, on all others. The truth is there are multiple forms of success against covid and herd immunity that only considers those vaccinated part of the herd and disregards natural immunity is disingenuous.  I feel worse when I see posts that completely disregard the fact that the vaccinated population are coming down with both symptomatic and asymptomatic covid. Yet the posts read as if 90% vaccinated ship is the answer and we quickly found out and will continue to see that it's very unfortunately not. 

1 hour ago, CruiseRoyalDad said:

Yet the posts read as if 90% vaccinated ship is the answer and we quickly found out and will continue to see that it's very unfortunately not. 

It may not be the answer, but it's one of the best solutions they could come up with when their hands are tied by the CDC.  The cases that have been reported since cruising started up represent a small percentage of the total ship population (crew and passengers) and the symptoms have been none or not severe at all.  No one is getting critically ill from it and those testing positive are being isolated and in some cases removed from the ship completely to avoid continued spread to other passengers.  Even on a 100% vaccinated cruise doesn't mean it will be 100% free from positive cases.  NCL will likely find that out once they get more ships sailing.

It's a shame that the CDC doesn't widely push that natural immunity can be as effective as the vaccination to where the cruise lines are able to offer that as an additional way to be considered "vaccinated" while on board.  I'm not sure what public health organization the USVI follows, but they even updated their prior policy that they no longer accept antibody tests as acceptable for entry. 

@CruiseRoyalDad I personally don't think that people who make an informed decision to not get vaccinated is irresponsible. I agree that people with herd immunity should be allowed to cruise as vax pax. The vax doesn't prevent covid, just like the flu vax doesn't prevent cases of the flu. But from a business and media standpoint, cruise lines have to do what is best in an overall sense. So the fact that there are cases isn't so much of an argument against 100% vax cruises. As far as this topic goes, the aqua shows are outside, so I don't understand why it is vax only.

7 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure I’ve read that there are no vaccinated only areas on the RCL cruises where everyone 12 and up has to be vaccinated.

5 hours ago, CruiseRoyalDad said:

I feel horrible for people that don't accept anything but one form of action as responsible and insist on forcing their  informed decision that is best for them, on all others. The truth is there are multiple forms of success against covid and herd immunity that only considers those vaccinated part of the herd and disregards natural immunity is disingenuous.  I feel worse when I see posts that completely disregard the fact that the vaccinated population are coming down with both symptomatic and asymptomatic covid. Yet the posts read as if 90% vaccinated ship is the answer and we quickly found out and will continue to see that it's very unfortunately not. 

I accept science, as I have a degree in molecular genetics and molecular immunology. Vaccines and masks are the best way to prevent covid. There ARE no other successful forms of protection.

No one yet knows how long natural immunity lasts, but the antibody titer(amount) is at least ten to twenty times (not percent, times) less as those who have been fully vaccinated.

The reason that vaccinated people are getting infected is because, even though it's the most effective vaccine created, it's only 85 to 95 percent effective at preventing infections. With that, the more people vaccinated, the more likely there will be vaccinated people that become positive in the population.

For example, in a population with 2 million people at 50 percent vaccination. If every person was exposed, only 50,000 vaccinated people would become infected vs a million unvaccinated. Raise the vaccination rate to 90 percent for the same 2 million example. You now have 200.000 unvaccinated positives and 95.000 vaccinated infected. Now the total infected is less, but the percent of the infected that are vaccinated is higher.

Again, trust the science. If you have any questions, please ask.

16 minutes ago, ChrisK2793 said:

I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure I’ve read that there are no vaccinated only areas on the RCL cruises where everyone 12 and up has to be vaccinated.

If I'm not mistaken Adventure has a 12 and up vaccination policy. Yet Adventure still has a chart show vaccinated only areas/events.

adventure-of-the-seas-venue-grid.jpg

1 hour ago, Ampurp85 said:

@CruiseRoyalDad I personally don't think that people who make an informed decision to not get vaccinated is irresponsible. I agree that people with herd immunity should be allowed to cruise as vax pax. The vax doesn't prevent covid, just like the flu vax doesn't prevent cases of the flu. But from a business and media standpoint, cruise lines have to do what is best in an overall sense. So the fact that there are cases isn't so much of an argument against 100% vax cruises. As far as this topic goes, the aqua shows are outside, so I don't understand why it is vax only.

Wrong. The covid vaccines are currently 85 to 95 percent effective in preventing covid infection. Unfortunately, there's a lot of misinformation out there. 

3 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

It's a shame that the CDC doesn't widely push that natural immunity can be as effective as the vaccination to where the cruise lines are able to offer that as an additional way to be considered "vaccinated" while on board.  I'm not sure what public health organization the USVI follows, but they even updated their prior policy that they no longer accept antibody tests as acceptable for entry. 

That's because it's been proven that natural immunity ISN'T as effective, unfortunately. The antibody titer is 10 to 20 times less than vaccinated people after 90 days.

1 hour ago, ChrisK2793 said:

Independence out of Galveston has a vaccine mandate for 12 and older, and has an extensive list of vaccinated only venues.

1 hour ago, Ampurp85 said:

@alamode123 I am not wrong in what I said otherwise there wouldn't be break through cases. I meant just because you have been vax doesn't mean you cannot get it. I agree there is a lot of misinformation. That is the problem and has nothing to do with this topic and so I will say no more.

Technically you are right, but nothing in life is 100 percent. And 95 percent is pretty damn close. Breakthrough cases are those 5 percent, and as more people are vaccinated, you will see more vaccinated people become positive. But the rate is now steady.

There is no good reason not to get vaccinated, unless you are medically unable to do so. Even then, mRNA vaccines were created partially to reduce vaccine allergies. The current rate is around 2 people per million.

Bottom line, to make cruising as safe as possible,, everyone who can get vaccinated should.