Greek Islands 8 days

I am booked for May 2022. Has anyone any advice on this trip please? We are hoping to stay in Venice for a few days also. Hotel suggestions, what to see etc? I would greatly appreciate anything. 

Totally confused whether to fly into Venice and stay there first before the cruise. Cost of taxi's etc. 

Edited by sparklymermaid
confused

I am actually thinking on the same lines.  The Venice airport is very close to Venice.   The ships are now leaving from Ravenna though, which is about 1 1/2+ hours away I think?   We always fly into a port the day before a  cruise.   We are trying to figure out if we want to stay in Venice after cruise or before. Since we do not have an actual port stop in Venice and would miss seeing it altogether.  I have been to Venice several times and love it.   But it will also depend on which days I can get less expensive airfare.  And what days of the week it would be.  Our trip is Sept. so we cannot check flights yet.  I do have a couple hotels picked out as "maybe's".  Will look them up and let you know.  I am wanting to stay right in heart of Venice and know they have to be accessed by water taxi.   

Thank you Linda. We are booked for May. I realize the situation in Venice and agree but for us travellers it is going to make a huge difference.  We are hoping also to stay in Venice for 3 days before the cruise. I am hoping for information from Royal Caribbean as to whether there is a free shuttle from the Marco Polo airport to RAvenna. Hopefully so, as every penny counts. It would airport to hotel at a cost and then hotel back to airport for a shuttle. I have been trying to find prices of the water taxi etc.

We live in Vancouver, Canada. 

• 4 weeks later...

We will be doing the Greek Isle next Oct out of Venice(Ravenna) as well, spending 3 nights in Venice. Ravenna is actually about 2.5 hrs south of Venice. So transportation is definitely a challenge. As posted on another thread RC says you can only use their shuttle service if you fly in the day of. My TA has informed me that it is possible to get around that. She has in the past. I'd talk to your TA. 

Another option would be to fly into Bologna, about 1.25hrs from Ravenna the night before. I've been looking into this as an option as well. The cost of transportation to Ravenna would be cheaper than coming from Venice, if you had to pay out of pocket. I'm talking strictly about hiring a car service. There are buses and trains from Venice that would be cheaper, but involves a lot of 4+ hours of travel. 

Then on embarkation you could buy the shuttle service from Ravenna to the Venice airport and get transportation from the airport into Venice City Centre. You'd just be doing Venice on the back end of the cruise. 

Looking into the various flight options for us, arriving in Bologna and flying out of Venice and vice versa, didn't really change the cost that much. Just the arrival and departure times would make a difference. I'm actually having my TA Kathy G from MEI looking into the possibility of shuttle service from Venice to the port and then from the port on embarkation day to Bologna, if that's an option. 

We'll be staying at The Hotel Moresco. It's smaller boutique hotel close to the Piazza Roma. 

Having had the cruise postponed twice, 2020 and 2021, I've been doing a lot of research on stuff from the time I first booked the cruise in Apr of 2019. I'll try and be a resource if I can. Let me know.

Happy Cruising!

On 9/12/2021 at 7:54 AM, FManke said:

We will be doing the Greek Isle next Oct out of Venice(Ravenna) as well, spending 3 nights in Venice. Ravenna is actually about 2.5 hrs south of Venice. So transportation is definitely a challenge. As posted on another thread RC says you can only use their shuttle service if you fly in the day of. My TA has informed me that it is possible to get around that. She has in the past. I'd talk to your TA. 

Another option would be to fly into Bologna, about 1.25hrs from Ravenna the night before. I've been looking into this as an option as well. The cost of transportation to Ravenna would be cheaper than coming from Venice, if you had to pay out of pocket. I'm talking strictly about hiring a car service. There are buses and trains from Venice that would be cheaper, but involves a lot of 4+ hours of travel. 

Then on embarkation you could buy the shuttle service from Ravenna to the Venice airport and get transportation from the airport into Venice City Centre. You'd just be doing Venice on the back end of the cruise. 

Looking into the various flight options for us, arriving in Bologna and flying out of Venice and vice versa, didn't really change the cost that much. Just the arrival and departure times would make a difference. I'm actually having my TA Kathy G from MEI looking into the possibility of shuttle service from Venice to the port and then from the port on embarkation day to Bologna, if that's an option. 

We'll be staying at The Hotel Moresco. It's smaller boutique hotel close to the Piazza Roma. 

Having had the cruise postponed twice, 2020 and 2021, I've been doing a lot of research on stuff from the time I first booked the cruise in Apr of 2019. I'll try and be a resource if I can. Let me know.

Happy Cruising!

Hi, 

Our family travel from Venice is July 3, 2022 we are considering private travel to the port from our hotel quoted 320 euros approx $380.00  any advice for a more economical options for a family of 5 - we will be taking the train to Florence when we disembark on July 10, 2022

Ideas please. 

1 hour ago, M First said:

Hi, 

Our family travel from Venice is July 3, 2022 we are considering private travel to the port from our hotel quoted 320 euros approx $380.00  any advice for a more economical options for a family of 5 - we will be taking the train to Florence when we disembark on July 10, 2022

Ideas please. 

I know there are trains and busses available right from Venice proper.  You can try using Rome2rio website for some options. There seems to be quite a few train options the quickest being about 1.5hrs and should be much cheaper than the 320 Euros quoted for your private travel. The busses are much cheaper, but with about a 2 to 3 times more travel time.

Happy Cruising!