Ruins Advice

ClockingOut

Hello All,

Our September cruise itinerary is likely going to change. As a result, I want to be as prepared as possible once that happens. We will likely either change to Honduras, Costa Maya and Cozumel or St. Thomas and St. Marteen - both with stops to Coco Cay. I am hoping we get changed to the first set rather than the two St.'s since we've been there numerous times. Anyways, if we get the first option I definitely want to visit the ruins however I think we only need one day of ruins. 

Does anybody recommend the ruins in Cozumel or Costa Maya? Cozumel has Tulum and other ruins (depending on the tour) and Costa Maya has the Chacchoben Mayan Ruins. I will take any and all suggestions. Thank you!

9 minutes ago, ClockingOut said:

Hello All,

Our September cruise itinerary is likely going to change. As a result, I want to be as prepared as possible once that happens. We will likely either change to Honduras, Costa Maya and Cozumel or St. Thomas and St. Marteen - both with stops to Coco Cay. I am hoping we get changed to the first set rather than the two St.'s since we've been there numerous times. Anyways, if we get the first option I definitely want to visit the ruins however I think we only need one day of ruins. 

Does anybody recommend the ruins in Cozumel or Costa Maya? Cozumel has Tulum and other ruins (depending on the tour) and Costa Maya has the Chacchoben Mayan Ruins. I will take any and all suggestions. Thank you!

I have done the ruins from Costa Maya and can recommend them.  The Tulum ruins trip is all day and has a long ferry ride - I have never done it for that reason.

• 2 weeks later...

I did Chichen Itza from Cozumel.  It was a LOOOOOOOONG drive to the ruins but our guide kept us entertained with talk about Mayan culture on the ride.  I chose Chichen Itza over the other ruins because it is one of the "New Seven Wonders of the World",  bucket list items for me.

11 hours ago, mnshortie21 said:

I would suggest comfortable walking shoes, whatever they may be. It's a good amount of walking, but there are alot of tree roots and rocks. Also you are able to climb some of the structures. I really enjoyed the tour! Have a great time!

Thank you so much! I'm guessing athletic shoes might be fine, then -- I guess maybe it will be a packing-time decision (I'm historically a light packer for travel, but this is our first cruise, so . . . )