Let's speculate.

Donna G

I have already received notice that April 10, 2022 Panama Canal cruise on the Radiance of the Seas that starts in Miami and ends in Los Angeles was cancelled.  That's really far in advance.  The only thing I can think of is that some of the ports are an issue?  What other reason can we come up with for a cruise to be cancelled so far in advance?  Usually Royal waits until the last minute (aka right near final payment) to see if the cruise may still go.  So I'm at a loss why this is already cancelled.  

This is part of the info in the letter from Royal.  

"Dear Guest,

We've been diligently working through all the details to prepare for our Royal Comeback. It's taken months of planning and coordinating to get up and running, and since our return, we've delivered fantastic vacation experiences to over 110,000 guests.

We've taken a measured approach to our return, welcoming one ship at a time back onto the high seas. The health and safety of our guests, crew, and the destinations we visit remain at the forefront of everything we do.

As we continue to navigate our journey, we've had to make additional changes to our plans. As a result, we will need to cancel additional sailings. These decisions are incredibly hard as we recognize the importance of vacations - especially these days. Unfortunately, this means your sailing will be canceled."

The rest of the letter is just the options for FCC or refund. 

Could be Royal isn't looking at operating the small ships this point in time. With Radiance not returning to the states in the near future Royal has no reason for a repositioning sailing. It wouldn't surprise me either if the Los Angeles to Vancouver sailing ends up cancelled as well.

Currently Radiance is positioned in the Mediterranean Sea. My guess is Royal might have to opportunity between now and April of 2022 to do regional sailings prior to transitioning to the Alaska season.

As part of Royals announcement for the restart of the remainder of their ships Radiance doesn’t return to service till the end of April when she begins Alaska cruises from Vancouver. That is why the Panama cruise was cancelled. 

Interesting that you got a cancellation notice. I was supposed to board Radiance in LA after the Panama crossing and do a coastal cruise to Vancouver but I have not received a cancellation notice yet.