What happens if you are stuck on a ship due to hurricane

Hurricane dorien in 2019 saw the Allure extend from a 7 night cruise to 11 nights.  During this time RCI cancelled our last port because it was the Bahamas (in the path of the Hurricane) and added 2 new ports (Honduras & Cozumel).  Most of the Americans onboard jumped ship at the 1st available opportunity whilst us brits lapped up the extra days inboard.  Everything was comped - the extra days, ports etc... whatever drinks/Internet/dining packages we had were just extended free of charge.

I would imagine if you needed laundry doing then you may just need to ask.

On Allure (as it hid behind Cuba waiting for the florida ports to re-open) they started to offer the remaining nights for the next cruise at ridiculously knocked down prices (royal suites for mere hundreds of dollars).

Oh, and we got 4 extra crown and anchor points without having to ask ... happened automatically.

If I remember correctly, laundry was offered at a discount for the normal bag laundry deal.

I thought RC handled the whole situation quite well.  I had friends on Carnival at the same time, they were closer to FT Lauderdale and they stopped  in to top off their gas not knowing how long they might have to evade and let whoever wanted to get off disembark and gave them some kind of refund.

I wouldn't really worry about laundry.  Even to pay for a few things to be cleaned is not that expensive, especially since you are getting a longer cruise for free.  But I have done laundry, by hand, myself a couple times and hung in shower.  Not an issue at all to me.   And I would bet the cruise line would offer you some free or very inexpensive laundry service.

6 hours ago, CruisingSteve said:

I booked a cruise in September and just trying to be prepared. I have never cruised during hurricane season. Would Royal do free laundry if you are stuck at sea for a day or 2 until it can get back to port? Or should I pack extra clothes just in case something happens?

Always pack extra clothes (hurricane or no hurricane) it’s just a good practice just in case. Recall the CCL ship that was drifting for days off the Yucatán many years ago? With that being said, after almost 45 years in SoFL I would say if we make it through August unscathed then Sept is normally more mild in regards to major Hurricanes so I wouldn’t be too concerned. 

10 minutes ago, Yo2slick said:

Our last cruise in 2019 there was a hurricane east of Jamaica.  I believe it was 300-400 miles away and they still kept us aware of the situation.  I always pack extra clothes anyway so getting stuck for a couple extra days would just mean a longer vacation for me. ?

I would hope they would keep people aware. Doesn't take much for someone with internet access browsing the various unreliable computer models and start to panic because one model run shows the track coming towards the ship

Best places to check are the National Hurricane Center http://www.nhc.noaa.gov and for Royal especially, James Van Fleet's (Chief Meteorologist for Royal) twitter account   Interestingly there may be something near the Florida ports this coming weekend, but hopefully weak.

Other sites, etc, are useful too, but require a lot of context to know what to look at or ignore.  Long range models are ok for "there may be something in the future" but not any details.   There is something moving into the Caribbean right now for what it's worth.