Booking Entertainment, or Dining Before your Cruise on the Royal Caribbean App or on the online Cruise Planner.

Hello Fellow Cruisers, We Called Royal Caribbean Customer Service yesterday, and they informed us, that booking entertainment or dining reservations has to now be done once you board the ship. Once you are onboard you can use your Royal Caribbean App to book all of your reservations. Has anyone else experience this that have already cruised, or were you able to book reservation on the app before you were onboard? 

I know Pre-Covid, once you were checked in you could book your dining and entertainment. All we have been able to book is of course excursions, spa ,dining/drink packages ect. just curious if everyone else is experiencing this?

Using the app to book before boarding, no. Pre-boarding everything has to be booked with the Cruise Planner website. Note reservations at restaurants will have to be paid in advance.

Once onboard you can use the app to book restaurants and shows. Restaurants booked onboard don't have to be paid for in advance but are subject to cancellation policies.

So if we have already paid for the unlimited dining and picked a time lets say between 6pm and 8pm. Once we get onboard and book specialty dining am i already guaranteed a reservation or is it still first come first serve? FYI I Have never cruised before, our first cruise is on Harmony of the Seas Oct 17th, fingers crossed. So please excuse my ignorance on this.

35 minutes ago, wnoble1967 said:

So if we have already paid for the unlimited dining and picked a time lets say between 6pm and 8pm. Once we get onboard and book specialty dining am i already guaranteed a reservation or is it still first come first serve? FYI I Have never cruised before, our first cruise is on Harmony of the Seas Oct 17th, fingers crossed. So please excuse my ignorance on this.

You should go to a specialty restaurant or a kiosk in the Promenade and make your reservations once you get onboard.  I believe they make a courtesy reservation for the first day only and they choose the restaurant. However you do not have to keep that reservation.  You can only secure reservations based on space available, so it is first come first serve when making the reservations.

There are no “dumb” questions here and I think you will find these folks both helpful and gracious.  You should make it a priority to book your specialty dinning as soon as possible once onboard. Basically as you choose your desired dining place and time there will be options on availability and time slots. You will find they will be very accommodating and work with you but I’m not aware if any guaranteed reservations. You will have a complimentary dining reservation for your first night onboard which you can change if it’s not to your liking. I think it will be easier than you think, so enjoy your first cruise, the Harmony is an amazing ship, and WELCOME to our message boards. ?❤️

Just to add to the previous posters' answers, you can have a look at the menus for the specialty restaurants beforehand in both the cruise planner and the app to get an idea of which ones you would most like to do. Then draw up a plan for your desired restaurants, times and days and take it with you. It will make the whole reservations process much quicker if you have your list to hand. Do have an alternative so you can flexible if a particular restaurant is not available for the day/time you want it. For example, we once wanted a particular restaurant one night when they were not taking reservations because there was an event, so we had to switch.

Once your reservations have been made they should show up in the app, which is a helpful reminder if you forget where you've booked for a particular evening. 

Bear in mind that you can eat at any given restaurant more than once and you can skip others completely if the food they serve is not to your liking. You're not obliged to go to every single one. Sometimes too you may be able to switch your booking at the last minute, if you change your mind about that evening's plans, so it's always worth asking.

And, lastly, you can still eat in the main dining room (commonly abbreviated to MDR here on the boards) if you wish, for example if you spot something on the menu that you particularly like. There is no charge for this as it is where the meals included with your cruise fare are served.

All of you that posted our amazing people, thank you so much for your help. This being my first cruise we booked it in January for the October 17th cruise, because the prices were amazing, and of course i am thinking quote "The Pandemic will surly be over By October" end quote... LOL....Once again Thank You Everyone.