Supporting Local Businesses in Alaska

I am hoping to cruise to Alaska later this month.  If that happens, I really want to support Alaska's economy because I know that they have suffered.  As of now, we are scheduled to visit Juneau, Skagway and Sitka.  I welcome any recommendations for locally owned and operated businesses, especially shops, since I am not sure I will feel confident about eating in restaurants, where I would have to remove my mask.  I am fully vaccinated, but I am taking extra precautions right now.  

We have same itinerary and did some research, some business are still closed and won't open until next season. You might want to do some research. The excursion availability is limited this season so shopping and dining would be a good idea. My TA just got back today from Alaska and said they are limiting number of cruise ships in port, last I checked there's only 1 or 2 ships in port per day. That'll be nice not having to be in large crowds.

The Alaska Pure Sea Salt store on Lincoln St in Sitka. They look to be open. Great selection, and I think a great souvenir to take to someone (I mean, who really wants a t-shirt from somewhere they have never been?). If you check out their website, “what our customers are saying” is what my husband wrote after we visited 2 years ago (although for some reason it’s in my name ?).

We also had a great lunch at the Ashmo food truck. I don’t know an address but they were on the way to the salt store from where the cruise ship bus dropped us off. My daughter still remembers their salmon Mac n cheese! And, we ate outside ?.

And the raptor center depends on visitors & donations, so if your time allows stop by. They do good work & the presentation is interesting. We didn’t do an excursion in Sitka, but did ALOT of walking. We toured the totem poles in Sitka National Historical Park. We were there is August, and somewhere along the trail you cross a bridge and see all the salmon trying to swim upstream. Literally wall to wall salmon. So cool. We exited out of the back of the park and walked to the raptor center. After we toured the facility we walked back into town and found the food truck and the salt store. Next door to the salt store was a place that had jewelry and other artsy objects from a variety of artists. I don’t remember what it was called but I got some very nice earrings there from an artist based in Seattle. Really nice selection.

I loved our Alaska cruise, loved all the ports (Juneau, Sitka & Ketchikan). Enjoy!

When we did our AK cruise a few summers ago I did notice that if a buisiness was locally owned and operated there was a special sign in the window. This way you can avoid the chain stores that we see in every port.  Also, don't forget the local restaurants. We found a brewery in every port since we were traveling with our 20 something boys.  That made it even more fun and special.