Harmony of the Seas- Sept. 23, 2021 LEAVING FROM: Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy

Hello,

We are currently booked on Harmony of the Seas for 9/23/2021 to 9/30/2021 leaving from Civitavecchia, Italy and I noticed that this same ship is leave from Barcelona, Spain on 9/26/2021. Will RC be picking up more passengers in the middle of our cruise? or maybe they might be cancelling one. If anyone has any insight would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks, 

image.thumb.png.0debdac2acc71e84efb04313e8d2a2c1.png                                                       image.thumb.png.befe52eb66a83019040aff64437a2dda.png

Yes, this is typical on the standard 7-night western Med itinerary. It's called interporting and means you have passengers starting and ending their cruises in two different ports. One of the ports is designated as the home port and activities such as the welcome aboard and farewell parties are scheduled around that port. In this particular case, Barcelona is the home port so for you, boarding in Rome, they will be the wrong way round.

Note also that in these covid days the procedures are different for those boarding in Barcelona and those boarding in Rome, as these are requirements of the different governments.

We are on the same cruise as you but boarding 3 days later, in Barcelona. 

It usually works very smoothly. The European cruise lines, MSC and Costa, sometimes have passengers boarding in each of four or five ports and they have it down to a fine art.

The activities being in the "wrong" order is the main oddity. The only other thing that makes you notice it is when, half way through your cruise, you see other passengers luggage out in the hall and you can smile and think to yourself, not me - I've got another 3 days. I have also heard, but have no personal experience, that Royal's cruise planner and app don't handle interporting very well so there may be some difficulties in booking excursions and stuff ahead of time.

The really good thing about it is the convenience of the different  departure ports for cruisers coming from different places. For us, for example, travelling from southern Portugal, Barcelona is much more convenient than Rome.

It all comes down to your comfort zone. My whole family had Covid months back and the moderna Vaccine. where we live when you donate blood they give you free antibody test's and our whole family had the Covid and the vaccine antibody. We are also going to mask up 2 weeks prior to our vacation just to be sure. As long as the countries do not shut down or the cruise ships cancel our cruise, I am not going to allow this pandemic to dictate my vacation.... I am done living in fear of this new Unvaccinated Pandemic.... I AM  DONE.....

I did one of those cruises on RC -boarding in Italy-and the night before Barcelona I stopped to buy a souvenir drink/glass -the sale was in the lobby-and the bartender asked if it was my last night and he thought I said yes and wished me well.  Turns out, unbeknownst to me,  he wrote himself a nice tip on the drink receipt.  I caught it the next day and reported it.  I always tip cash, and if I get a receipt I write CASH where the tip goes.  He never gave me a receipt!

They did cancel the first two "pickups" in Rome as part of the Harmony startup in August.  Not sure if it was a way to reduce passenger load on the first couple of sailings, or if they figured it would be best to make things less complicated for the crew for the first few sailings.

News article today regarding the Italian Governments new "Green Pass " legislation.

Basically if anyone ( local or tourist) wants to do anything while in Italy even enter a cafe then you have to show green pass app and photo ID.

Green pass app is to show proof of vaccine!

No App No Entry.

And Marseille has been dropped from the itinerary, apparently because of restrictions placed on cruisers by the French government, although I don't know what they are. It's been replaced with 4 extra hours in Palma de Mallorca and an extra sea day. No biggie for me but I can imagine a lot of people will be disappointed. ?