New PCR / Antigen Testing Requirement

According to the RCCL website, (for FL departures), the new testing requirement reads as follows:

PRE-CRUISE TEST FOR ALL GUESTS ON SAILINGS 5 NIGHTS OR LONGER

• All guests age 2 and older — regardless of vaccination status — will need to take a COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) with an accredited test provider, such as a drugstore chain or diagnostic lab, no more than 3 days before arriving at the terminal for embarkation. Guests will need to show their negative test result upon arriving at the terminal. The results can be printed out, or can be presented on your phone, such as the email result from your test provider. Costs associated with this test are the guests' responsibility.

I called RCCL C&A for some clarification on "no more than 3 days before arriving at the terminal for embarkation."   My cruise departs on 12/4.  I can see how RCCL could say that the test has to be taken on 12/1, 12/2, 12/3 or embarkation day 12/4.  However, I can also see where RCCL could say that you CANNOT take the test on 12/1 but it has to be on 12/2, 12/3 or 12/4.  I spoke with C&A and they said that you CANNOT take the test on 12/1 (in this example) but I would have to take the PCR/Antigen test on 12/2 or later. 

The rep did put me on hold to talk with someone but I could easily argue that I could take a test on 12/1 which I believe is not more than 3 days prior to embarkation.   This might should like a small issue but when you are driving to the pier from far away, it can make a difference.

All that being said, my "personal math" tells me I can take the test on 12/1 but it is their ship and their rules so 12/2 it is - unless I hear otherwise.

Sometimes the easy stuff can make you scratch your head.

22 minutes ago, dwhelchel said:

According to the RCCL website, (for FL departures), the new testing requirement reads as follows:

• All guests age 2 and older — regardless of vaccination status — will need to take a COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) with an accredited test provider, such as a drugstore chain or diagnostic lab, no more than 3 days before arriving at the terminal for embarkation. Guests will need to show their negative test result upon arriving at the terminal. The results can be printed out, or can be presented on your phone, such as the email result from your test provider. Costs associated with this test are the guests' responsibility.

I called RCCL C&A for some clarification on "no more than 3 days before arriving at the terminal for embarkation."   My cruise departs on 12/4.  I can see how RCCL could say that the test has to be taken on 12/1, 12/2, 12/3 or embarkation day 12/4.  However, I can also see where RCCL could say that you CANNOT take the test on 12/1 but it has to be on 12/2, 12/3 or 12/4.  I spoke with C&A and they said that you CANNOT take the test on 12/1 (in this example) but I would have to take the PCR/Antigen test on 12/2 or later. 

The rep did put me on hold to talk with someone but I could easily argue that I could take a test on 12/1 which I believe is not more than 3 days prior to embarkation.   This might should like a small issue but when you are driving to the pier from far away, it can make a difference.

All that being said, my "personal math" tells me I can take the test on 12/1 but it is their ship and their rules so 12/2 it is - unless I hear otherwise.

Test day is day zero. embarkation day must be day 1, 2, or 3

1 hour ago, dwhelchel said:

My sailing is on a Saturday. I planned on us getting tested on a Wednesday. According to what they told you, that can’t be? Hmm ? 

29 minutes ago, CGTLH said:

Testing Wednesday the results will be valid for an embarkation on Wednesday (D0), Thursday (D1), Friday (D2), or Saturday (D3).

This is correct - it is 3 days, not 72 hours.  You could have the test done in the early AM on day Zero and still board on Day 3 at any time.

24 minutes ago, danv3 said:

Who is surprised that RCI is giving out new/different information from what we all seem to think?

Not me.  They are reacting and adapting, a lock quicker than the CDC.  

MSC still says no test for vaccinated yet they tested everyone at the port yesterday, vaccinated and unvaccinated,  including people who paid for tests for unvaccinated kids in the days before.  They wouldn't accept those test and retested every single person who boarded.  That isn't written anywhere in policy.

Cruising during the restart is going to take some flexibility.  Things will change sometimes daily.  

This one is a dead horse and has been discussed and confirmed to death. ?

Count backwards.

Think of it like this...

Saturday - the day you need the results, typically the sailing day, Day 0

Friday - 1 day before the day you need the results, Day 1

Thursday - 2 days before the day you need the results, Day 2

Wednesday, 3 days before the day you need the results, Day 3

Tuesday, 4 days before the day you need the results, Day 4

Monday, 5 days before the day you need the results, Day 5

Even Royal Caribbean covers it in the FAQ.

Where Do I Take A RT-PCR Test And Submit The Results Before Cruising? | Royal Caribbean Cruises

image.thumb.png.52803a0247903d10fe64aaecc5aec4cb.png

I made mention yesterday this ticks me off to no end. The whole reason I got vaccinated was to avoid this cluster.  I work. My fiance'e works.  Our kids work hard at school. We work hard. This new wrench in the works involves us giving up work to get tested. For her a few hours or a day. For our kids it will be having to get out of school for the test during holiday school testing time.  For me, it involves cancelling a week long fishing charter for my guests so I can get tested in the window. Otherwise I would have come in from the carter and gone to the ship the next morn.  That's huge $$$$$ ....  We are slated for 4 cruises with 4 of us each trip. $600 just in test fees per trip ($2400 total). Wife 4 days work. For me??? 4 weeks pay and 4 weeks revenues to my business or bring in a hired captain at $400 a day times 28 days! Thats big... 

They were making tests available to the non vaccers at the port (at cost) . I see nothing like that for those of us who did as asked and got the vac... ??? Any ideas if somewhere in or near the ports (Miami, Canaveral, Lauderdale) we can get done? 

30 minutes ago, deep1 said:

I made mention yesterday this ticks me off to no end. The whole reason I got vaccinated was to avoid this cluster.  I work. My fiance'e works.  Our kids work hard at school. We work hard. This new wrench in the works involves us giving up work to get tested. For her a few hours or a day. For our kids it will be having to get out of school for the test during holiday school testing time.  For me, it involves cancelling a week long fishing charter for my guests so I can get tested in the window. Otherwise I would have come in from the carter and gone to the ship the next morn.  That's huge $$$$$ ....  We are slated for 4 cruises with 4 of us each trip. $600 just in test fees per trip ($2400 total). Wife 4 days work. For me??? 4 weeks pay and 4 weeks revenues to my business or bring in a hired captain at $400 a day times 28 days! Thats big... 

They were making tests available to the non vaccers at the port (at cost) . I see nothing like that for those of us who did as asked and got the vac... ??? Any ideas if somewhere in or near the ports (Miami, Canaveral, Lauderdale) we can get done? 

I did one at Walgreens today up the coast that was zero cost.  

https://www.walgreens.com/findcare/covid19/testing?ban=covid_vanity_testing

Made an appointment yesterday, went through the drive thru, never left the car.  My local one doesn't do rapid tests so it was the slower PCR.  Down the road a few miles is another location that has the rapid tests. 

1 hour ago, twangster said:

I did one at Walgreens today up the coast that was zero cost.  

https://www.walgreens.com/findcare/covid19/testing?ban=covid_vanity_testing

Made an appointment yesterday, went through the drive thru, never left the car.  My local one doesn't do rapid tests so it was the slower PCR.  Down the road a few miles is another location that has the rapid tests. 

I'd need the quick ones. My previous tests have all cost me about $150 each. CVS nor Walgreens  would even test me but that was like a year ago..  I guess (hope) it has changed.  Somewhere between Palm Beach and Miami I hope to find one... My schedule is such that I fly down. Provision the boat and go to West End , Grand Bahama for wahoo fishing. Two groups a week each. Bring first group with me. Fly first group out and new group is on same plane coming in. Bring home second group. Clear customs for boat then take them to immigration (unless they have whats called an LBO card from Customs/ Immigration).  I can do that at airport then pick up fiance/son from one flight and her daughter on another.  So you can see I'm spoken for right up to leave for the cruise time... 

15 hours ago, deep1 said:

I'd need the quick ones. My previous tests have all cost me about $150 each. CVS nor Walgreens  would even test me but that was like a year ago..  I guess (hope) it has changed.  Somewhere between Palm Beach and Miami I hope to find one... My schedule is such that I fly down. Provision the boat and go to West End , Grand Bahama for wahoo fishing. Two groups a week each. Bring first group with me. Fly first group out and new group is on same plane coming in. Bring home second group. Clear customs for boat then take them to immigration (unless they have whats called an LBO card from Customs/ Immigration).  I can do that at airport then pick up fiance/son from one flight and her daughter on another.  So you can see I'm spoken for right up to leave for the cruise time... 

Try this
 I just called my local pharmacy as they offer Covid testing.
Medicare and Medicaid are covered....for the rest of us he said it is $65 for a rapid test.  Here is the website from their page, it has a place you can enter a zip code to find pharmacies that participate.  https://myrx.io  Perhaps give that a try to see if there is a pharmacy near where you will be.  He said they text you your results and when I asked if it is something they can print for me he said yes (I honestly don't know anything about this service and if it would be printable).
So much can change between now and your sailing date.  I hope this helps!

Today Carnival announced a similar policy.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2021/08/04/carnival-joins-royal-caribbean-requiring-pre-cruise-covid-tests-and-masks-vaccinated

This is where society is right now.  Once more get vaccinated we can hopefully avoid this for the next variant because this isn't over.

FWIW

I am boarding a cruise tomorrow and had a PCR test done on Tuesday of this week at a Walgreens near me.  Cost was $0.

Test sample was taken ~4pm Tuesday and my results were received by email at 1am this morning, on a Thursday.  Results: Negative.

I scheduled the Walgreens test on Monday and chose the next day to fall within the "3 day" window for my cruise.   My only checkbox when signing up for the test was "International Travel".  This particular location does not offer rapid testing.  A PCR test was my only choice.  The test was done in my car at a drive thru window.  They explained the steps to me, passed the kit through the drive thru slot to me, I did the tickle swab up my nose (15 seconds each side) and followed the instructions to seal it and pass it back while being supervised by them the whole time. 

I have found that CVS allows you to schedule tests 13 days in advance.  I have another cruise in just over two weeks and I have already scheduled a CVS test to fall within the 3 day window pre-cruise.  

I love the cruise industry and while I wasn't required to test for this weekends cruise I feel a lot better knowing I am not an asymptomatic carrier potentially bringing something to the terminal where I know I will be tested again based on that cruise line's policies.  I have no plans between testing and cruising so my opportunity to become infected between test and cruise is reduced.  I don't even need to go grocery shopping in between.

This was a practice run for my Odyssey cruise in September and I am much more comfortable with the whole testing process and timeframe in preparation for my Odyssey cruise. 

So now not only am I vaccinated but I have also tested negative and I am ready to cruise safely!

My first sailing is not until next month but I’m sure the testing requirement is still going to be a thing…so…I’m thinking as I get closer to cruising I’ll go and get a ‘test’ test. I already researched and decided to try my CVS by making the appointment and going through the drive thru test area. Testing is free and available at multiple locations (I’m in NJ) and there is usually no waiting with an appointment. I don’t want to unnecessarily add to a busy testing system…but I need to know that I can get it done.

23 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

Try this
 I just called my local pharmacy as they offer Covid testing.
Medicare and Medicaid are covered....for the rest of us he said it is $65 for a rapid test.  Here is the website from their page, it has a place you can enter a zip code to find pharmacies that participate.  https://myrx.io  Perhaps give that a try to see if there is a pharmacy near where you will be.  He said they text you your results and when I asked if it is something they can print for me he said yes (I honestly don't know anything about this service and if it would be printable).
So much can change between now and your sailing date.  I hope this helps!

Just FYI... the option to "Book a COVID-19" test through myrx is only available to NY State residents ?

This may be challenging for us. We sail Sun Nov 28, day 0; Sat Nov 27 we will be in Orlando, day 1; Fri Nov 26 flying, day 2; Thur Nov 25 Thanksgiving, day 3

i doubt we will find a test on Turkey day, so hopefully can Uber to somewhere in Orlando. Or the protocols change by then

I asked this  in another thread. I was answered........Kind of ???????? Every place that I read about the new tests said through August31???? I was told by others here  that it was extended til December? I don't doubt it but I stull havn't seen it in writing? Does anybody have a copy of  or link to the extension ????

14 hours ago, twangster said:

FWIW

I am boarding a cruise tomorrow and had a PCR test done on Tuesday of this week at a Walgreens near me.  Cost was $0.

Test sample was taken ~4pm Tuesday and my results were received by email at 1am this morning, on a Thursday.  Results: Negative.

I scheduled the Walgreens test on Monday and chose the next day to fall within the "3 day" window for my cruise.   My only checkbox when signing up for the test was "International Travel".  This particular location does not offer rapid testing.  A PCR test was my only choice.  The test was done in my car at a drive thru window.  They explained the steps to me, passed the kit through the drive thru slot to me, I did the tickle swab up my nose (15 seconds each side) and followed the instructions to seal it and pass it back while being supervised by them the whole time. 

I have found that CVS allows you to schedule tests 13 days in advance.  I have another cruise in just over two weeks and I have already scheduled a CVS test to fall within the 3 day window pre-cruise.  

I love the cruise industry and while I wasn't required to test for this weekends cruise I feel a lot better knowing I am not an asymptomatic carrier potentially bringing something to the terminal where I know I will be tested again based on that cruise line's policies.  I have no plans between testing and cruising so my opportunity to become infected between test and cruise is reduced.  I don't even need to go grocery shopping in between.

This was a practice run for my Odyssey cruise in September and I am much more comfortable with the whole testing process and timeframe in preparation for my Odyssey cruise. 

So now not only am I vaccinated but I have also tested negative and I am ready to cruise safely!

How long did it take you to get the PCR test results back? I am worried about it taking a long time. I had a test last year and I never even got the resuls

On 8/3/2021 at 3:04 PM, dwhelchel said:

What ship are you on? I am going on 12/4 and I had the exact question in my mind as you! Glad you asked

53 minutes ago, deep1 said:

I asked this  in another thread. I was answered........Kind of ???????? Every place that I read about the new tests said through August31???? I was told by others here  that it was extended til December? I don't doubt it but I stull havn't seen it in writing? Does anybody have a copy of  or link to the extension ????

Right now policy applies until December 31st for Florida sailings.

Details can be seen at: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/will-i-have-to-take-a-test-before-i-cruise#florida

I’m guessing this testing requirement is going to be around for a long time. The Delta variant is still going strong and after that there will probably be a bunch of other ‘variants’ coming and going. Especially through the winter months and into the spring. Seems like there are some who selfishly just don’t want this pandemic to go away…and I don’t mean health-wise. They need it so they can stay relevant…or prosperous…or in control. Shame. Just my opinion.

14 hours ago, CGTLH said:

Right now policy applies until December 31st for Florida sailings.

Details can be seen at: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/will-i-have-to-take-a-test-before-i-cruise#florida

Thank you... For some reason that top line wasnl showing when I went to the page. Needed to redo my cookies... 

11 hours ago, Tyro said:

For those that are struggling to find cheap/ free tests, try www.emed.com you will get 6 tests for $150 and they will proctor your test at home via zoom and send you a lab report with results that you can then use for the cruise. 

I never head of this so I looked it up. Thanks for the info!
 Do you know if RC will accept it as a test?  I’ve heard they do not allow at home testing and this seems to be a mix of the at home/site test. 
Testing here is only free with a Dr referral so it will cost us $150 per test. 

1 hour ago, Esmom said:

I never head of this so I looked it up. Thanks for the info!
 Do you know if RC will accept it as a test?  I’ve heard they do not allow at home testing and this seems to be a mix of the at home/site test. 
Testing here is only free with a Dr referral so it will cost us $150 per test. 

I havnt checked with royal, but since you get a lab report I don’t think they have any way to know that it was at home vs a site. I do know that John Heald from carnival confirmed that these tests would be accepted, so I would expect royal to have the same guidelines. 

1 hour ago, Tyro said:

I havnt checked with royal, but since you get a lab report I don’t think they have any way to know that it was at home vs a site. I do know that John Heald from carnival confirmed that these tests would be accepted, so I would expect royal to have the same guidelines. 

If they do go that route to accept certain home tests, they have to be very specific about which ones they will accept. They sell test at home kits in the stores that are done without any sort of supervision, which I think they wouldn't consider acceptable results.  If the rumor gets out at-home testing is accepted, I know many folks would get confused and think they could take these other at-home tests such as the BinaxNOW which wouldn't be accepted for traveling.

22 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

I just had to get a test today because someone I work with tested positive. Thankfully I tested negative, but the report that I got has the lab name and the name of the ARPN as well as my name, address, type of test, the date of the test, and the result. I think Royal will want something like that. I don't see them accepting home tests. 

Still have to do another test in about two weeks for our Aug 22 sailing

46 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

If they do go that route to accept certain home tests, they have to be very specific about which ones they will accept. They sell test at home kits in the stores that are done without any sort of supervision, which I think they wouldn't consider acceptable results.  If the rumor gets out at-home testing is accepted, I know many folks would get confused and think they could take these other at-home tests such as the BinaxNOW which wouldn't be accepted for traveling.

41 minutes ago, LovetoCruise87 said:

I just had to get a test today because someone I work with tested positive. Thankfully I tested negative, but the report that I got has the lab name and the name of the ARPN as well as my name, address, type of test, the date of the test, and the result. I think Royal will want something like that. I don't see them accepting home tests. 

Still have to do another test in about two weeks for our Aug 22 sailing

This test is a supervised at home test, that is FDA approved, so the end result will be a lab report like any other test on site. It wouldn’t be like buying an OTC test and showing royal a picture of the test screen saying it is negative since you had one line instead of two. 

I did log into my Vault account (the company that administers the saliva PCR testing in Minnesota).  I was able to download an actual report for my 'vid test.  These are done at home under Zoom supervision.  Nowhere on the report does it say it was taken at  home.  It lists everything else (name, DOB, physician, type of test).  That being said, while I've reliably gotten results back in 3 days for these, they rely on UPS overnight shipping and I'm not sure I'd be comfortable chancing that for a cruise.  Walgreens or CVS it is.

38 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

I did log into my Vault account (the company that administers the saliva PCR testing in Minnesota).  I was able to download an actual report for my 'vid test.  These are done at home under Zoom supervision.  Nowhere on the report does it say it was taken at  home.  It lists everything else (name, DOB, physician, type of test).  That being said, while I've reliably gotten results back in 3 days for these, they rely on UPS overnight shipping and I'm not sure I'd be comfortable chancing that for a cruise.  Walgreens or CVS it is.

We are going to use Walgreens or CVS as well.