What happens if you don't have your COVID-19 test results by embarkation day?

12thman

I'm trying to find out what the official policy is if I do my test 3 days before boarding as required, but don't have my results by embarkation day? I'm assuming there'd be a full refund if I show proof that there was testing done but results are not available yet. The only test I'm finding available for travel is PCR, antigen testing from Walgreens or CVS is for people experiencing symptoms. Most of the urgent care facilities also only do PCR. If anyone has first hand experience please share. Thanks! Oh and according to an email Royal sent they are doing testing at the terminal but someone on Matt's YouTube live said I can't do that, it's only for unvaccinated kids 2-11 years old. Maybe they'd make an exception for us? 

The NAAT test that CVS is using in your area normally turns around in 24 hours. They hedge by saying "1-2 days", but I don't believe you will have a problem. To make sure, take your test first thing in the morning -- when I've done this at CVS I've always had my results by about 7pm that same day.

14 minutes ago, KristiZ said:

The NAAT test that CVS is using in your area normally turns around in 24 hours. They hedge by saying "1-2 days", but I don't believe you will have a problem. To make sure, take your test first thing in the morning -- when I've done this at CVS I've always had my results by about 7pm that same day.

Thanks! I'm a little concerned because of the up tick in Covid-19 Delta variant. All pharmacies use LAB Corp or some other lab to do the actual analyzing. If the labs start to get busier then this could impact the pharmacy turn around time. Especially when you answer the questionnaire and it specifically asks if this is for travel. I'd think if they are testing people exposed or showing symptoms they'd be ahead of people testing to travel.

27 minutes ago, 12thman said:

I'm trying to find out what the official policy is if I do my test 3 days before boarding as required, but don't have my results by embarkation day? I'm assuming there'd be a full refund if I show proof that there was testing done but results are not available yet. The only test I'm finding available for travel is PCR, antigen testing from Walgreens or CVS is for people experiencing symptoms. Most of the urgent care facilities also only do PCR. If anyone has first hand experience please share. Thanks! Oh and according to an email Royal sent they are doing testing at the terminal but someone on Matt's YouTube live said I can't do that, it's only for unvaccinated kids 2-11 years old. Maybe they'd make an exception for us? 

I suspect that the reason that PCR tests are listed for "travel" is that many foreign countries (and Hawaii at one point) are/were requiring that test vs the antigen test.  I would call and see if they will schedule an antigen test.  At worst, just tell them that you entire family was in close contact with someone who is Covid positive - that will meet the requirment.

Doesnt say if you show up with out results you will be turned away.

That testing includes the following: 

Testing at the terminal prior to embarkation and onboard before disembarking. Unvaccinated guests must register for the test and agree to the third-party test at a cost of $136 per guest. 

Pre-Cruise: Unvaccinated guests 16 and older will need to undergo an RT-PCR test taken no more than three days before sailing. Royal Caribbean says they will require documentation of a negative result for this test prior to embarkation. Cruise passengers will have to pay for all related testing costs.

At the terminal: Unvaccinated guests 2 years of age and older are required to take an RT-PCR test. 

Before disembarking: While onboard, unvaccinated guests 2 years of age and older will be required to undergo antigen testing before disembarking at the end of the trip. Royal Caribbean said the test will be conducted the day before the cruise concludes.

12 minutes ago, luvstodans said:

Doesnt say if you show up with out results you will be turned away.

That testing includes the following: 

Testing at the terminal prior to embarkation and onboard before disembarking. Unvaccinated guests must register for the test and agree to the third-party test at a cost of $136 per guest. 

Pre-Cruise: Unvaccinated guests 16 and older will need to undergo an RT-PCR test taken no more than three days before sailing. Royal Caribbean says they will require documentation of a negative result for this test prior to embarkation. Cruise passengers will have to pay for all related testing costs.

At the terminal: Unvaccinated guests 2 years of age and older are required to take an RT-PCR test. 

Before disembarking: While onboard, unvaccinated guests 2 years of age and older will be required to undergo antigen testing before disembarking at the end of the trip. Royal Caribbean said the test will be conducted the day before the cruise concludes.

Thanks! where did you find this? I searched the FAQ's on Royal for the answer but came up with nothing.

11 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Yes, when we boarded Adventure an older couple had no idea they needed testing. So they just got routed to the testing room where the unvaccinated kids were going.

Thanks! This takes some stress off, still testing 3 days before but you never know what can happen.

12 minutes ago, Funeegal said:

RCL is allowing both RT-PCR test (the one that can take 1-3 days for results) as well as what most call rapid tests (antigen tests).  With the rapid tests, you will get your results within 15-45 minutes and some CVS, Walgreens, and other locations do offer them.

Thanks, CVS doesn't offer the antigen testing near me and Walgreens only does it if you have been exposed or are showing symptoms. Not sure I want to say I'm showing symptoms and it gets reported to the health district. Planning to test 3 days before but just wanted to know what happens if I don't have my results on embarkation day. Think @smokeybanditcleared it up for me. They'll just test us at the terminal. 

Just an FYI, my friend is a pharmacist at a Walgreens and she said they are all out of COVID tests at their location. They are obviously ordering more and will have more eventually but just something to be aware of. I wouldn't wait until the last minute to get a test or depend on a walk in situation.  

9 minutes ago, ClockingOut said:

Just an FYI, my friend is a pharmacist at a Walgreens and she said they are all out of COVID tests at their location. They are obviously ordering more and will have more eventually but just something to be aware of. I wouldn't wait until the last minute to get a test or depend on a walk in situation.  

Not planning to, will do it the 3 days before because that's the earliest you can do it. 

1 hour ago, 12thman said:

Thanks, CVS doesn't offer the antigen testing near me and Walgreens only does it if you have been exposed or are showing symptoms. Not sure I want to say I'm showing symptoms and it gets reported to the health district. Planning to test 3 days before but just wanted to know what happens if I don't have my results on embarkation day. Think @smokeybanditcleared it up for me. They'll just test us at the terminal. 

If you do want to get it done beforehand, check your local county/city website to see if they have a drive-up testing option.

18 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

If you do want to get it done beforehand, check your local county/city website to see if they have a drive-up testing option.

Did look into that, they only do PCR and it takes 2-3 days for results. If I want a paper copy to show proof then I have to wait for the results then email the health district and then they will email me a copy. Initial you only get a "yes you are negative or positive" response. Not doing this. 

We're driving from Texas to Port Canaveral...any ideas on where we might get the PCR/antigen test along the way (Mississippi)?  Does anyone know if the self-tests available at CVS, Sam's Club, etc are a viable option?  These are fast and you can buy them before you leave home and do them yourself along the way.

I’m curious if they want a PCR test (which can usually take 1 to 4 days to get a result) or an Antigen test (which takes minutes).  The PCR is more accurate in that it can detect minute amounts of virus, where the Antigen is less so and more susceptible to a false negative. As the Delta variant spreads, testing is ramping up and turn around times for test results are getting longer.  I’m assuming the testing at the pier is Antigen as you wait for the results before boarding. Also, what documentation are they accepting? Is a simple email from CVS stating ‘negative’ enough…or do they want something like a paper report? I’m hoping they recognize how difficult it may be to get a PCR test for travel completed because labs are probably prioritizing those with symptoms. Maybe they will extend the 72hr time limit.

16 minutes ago, BrianB said:

I’m curious if they want a PCR test (which can usually take 1 to 4 days to get a result) or an Antigen test (which takes minutes).  The PCR is more accurate in that it can detect minute amounts of virus, where the Antigen is less so and more susceptible to a false negative. As the Delta variant spreads, testing is ramping up and turn around times for test results are getting longer.  I’m assuming the testing at the pier is Antigen as you wait for the results before boarding. Also, what documentation are they accepting? Is a simple email from CVS stating ‘negative’ enough…or do they want something like a paper report? I’m hoping they recognize how difficult it may be to get a PCR test for travel completed because labs are probably prioritizing those with symptoms. Maybe they will extend the 72hr time limit.

It's either.  I've had several tests (all PCR) over the past year and I've never received anything other than an email stating positive or negative, so I don't know what else they could possibly ask for.  I've never had access to any sort of paper report.

1 hour ago, B&S said:

We're driving from Texas to Port Canaveral...any ideas on where we might get the PCR/antigen test along the way (Mississippi)?  Does anyone know if the self-tests available at CVS, Sam's Club, etc are a viable option?  These are fast and you can buy them before you leave home and do them yourself along the way.

The self tests are not allowed. 

I live in Tallahassee which is on your route and here Walgreens only does the PCR test (up to 72 hour turnaround) and some CVS locations here do the rapid antigen test.  You have to schedule in advance online.

11 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

The self tests are not allowed. 

I wonder if the Abbott/BinaxNOW test would be allowed -- it is CDC-authorized for travel into the US. That would be a good solution for anyone coming from a smaller metro area where testing is harder to find.

1 hour ago, SpeedNoodles said:

It's either.  I've had several tests (all PCR) over the past year and I've never received anything other than an email stating positive or negative, so I don't know what else they could possibly ask for.  I've never had access to any sort of paper report.

I had to be tested last year (Antigen) and the place I went to where I live, MedFast Clinic, gave me a paper stating that I was negative. It had the doctors name, my name, DOB, the lab name and the date of the test. I will be going back to that one before our cruise.

Finished our Antigen test, all negative, and the test took 25 minutes for an answer. Did not have to wait around, they called us. Scheduled on their app. Will get an "official" report from the clinic later this evening. Had to find a CVS that was giving the antigen test, all do not and no Walgreens in our area were. Now we are ready to fly and sail!

23 minutes ago, CrznTxn said:

Finished our Antigen test, all negative, and the test took 25 minutes for an answer. Did not have to wait around, they called us. Scheduled on their app. Will get an "official" report from the clinic later this evening. Had to find a CVS that was giving the antigen test, all do not and no Walgreens in our area were. Now we are ready to fly and sail!

YIPPEE !!!  SOOOOOOO happy to hear it !

On 8/3/2021 at 11:32 AM, 12thman said:

Thanks! I'm a little concerned because of the up tick in Covid-19 Delta variant. All pharmacies use LAB Corp or some other lab to do the actual analyzing. If the labs start to get busier then this could impact the pharmacy turn around time. Especially when you answer the questionnaire and it specifically asks if this is for travel. I'd think if they are testing people exposed or showing symptoms they'd be ahead of people testing to travel.

We’re in northwest metro Atlanta. A family member just got a PCR from CVS.  They were told it’d be at least four days to get the results.  There were zero rapid test appointments available before next week. 

How a available the test that's best for you seems to depend on the state you live in and the health care entity providing the testing. Finding the best fit for what you want/need requires a good deal of web research. In the end you can usually get what you need. @twangstersuggested retail pharmacies allow you to schedule up to 2w in advance. Jumping in as soon as you can then scheduling your test inside the required time window seems to be key. Waiting to schedule closer to the window will cause problems wrt appt. availability. Be proactive and persistent.

We had our PCR tests taken three days before departure day, however the results still hadn't come back by the time we were due to leave, so we had to take Antigen tests at the terminal (Southampton) along with our daughter, and we all got our negative results back in 15 minutes. Process was very smooth and well organised. My PCR test is still showing as "awaiting results" nearly two weeks later ?

49 minutes ago, spellman said:

PCR test is still showing as "awaiting results" nearly two weeks later

If you don't need one, don't get a PCR. Instead get the antigen test. Not all facilities offer both tests. I found that looking on the web does not always provide details on which tests are available at a specific (usually retail) testing site. If you can, call and confirm that the test you want is available and they aren't out of them. They do run out. It's not always easy to call - waiting on hold, bots and the like often don't cooperate.

On 8/7/2021 at 3:36 PM, JeffB said:

If you don't need one, don't get a PCR. Instead get the antigen test. Not all facilities offer both tests. I found that looking on the web does not always provide details on which tests are available at a specific (usually retail) testing site. If you can, call and confirm that the test you want is available and they aren't out of them. They do run out. It's not always easy to call - waiting on hold, bots and the like often don't cooperate.

The PCR tests were arranged and paid for by RCI using their preferred testing provider (Eurofins), and all booked online.

Somehow our samples never reached the lab or they lost the results, so we ended up taking the Antigen tests on departure day. Eurofins were reachable on the phone, but couldn't really explain what had happened. It was very stressful though, not having a negative result to present on departure day despite having taken the time out to get tested several days beforehand!