Lazy River Coming to Perfect Day @ Coco Cay???

I had a convo with an higher up a while back on a conference, and they mentioned that one of the most requested things to add on a ship was a lazy river, but it can’t get put into a ship if they actually want the ship to float.  So I wouldn’t be shocked if they “compensate” for this by adding a lazy river at any location they possible can. Now the question would be for coco cay, would it be at the water park for cost or free for all to use? 

26 minutes ago, Tyro said:

Now the question would be for coco cay, would it be at the water park for cost or free for all to use? 

Free for all to use is how I would do it.

With the river running right past the other side of the swim-up bar in Oasis Lagoon. You enter your order on the app while getting into the river, and pick up your drink while floating past the bar. ? 

18 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Seems like a really expensive and disruptive feature to add to Coco Cay

Why do you think it would be disruptive?

Full disclosure, lazy rivers are the only water features/attractions I enjoy.  I’ve never been a fan of swimming pools, beaches, and water slides.  I have yet to try wave pools.

4 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Don't let my wife hear this. She'll only ever want to go to Coco Cay and nowhere else. Well, except Bermuda of course... ?

@JLMoranme too!!!  I LOVE LOVE a good lazy river.  Disney has some of the best lazy rivers at their waterparks.  Do not try the one at Discovery Cove, it's a nightmare.  

I might have to book a cruise going to Coco Cay when the lazy river is done ?

43 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Unless they put it on yet undeveloped land on the west end,  it'd be disruptive to all the other features of the island, and therefore its guests, during construction

Most lazy rivers I've seen wind through and around other attractions.  I've never seen a standalone lazy river.

(I now understand why you said it would be disruptive.... I agree)

13 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

They'd have to drag me out of a lazy river at Coco Cay.  (A precedent has been set - I had to be coaxed out of one at the Westin Scottsdale at closing time by hotel staff.  I was unhappy about their decision).

Maybe you can request a feature for the Coco Cay lazy river.  it should go all the way to the gangway.  That should give you (us) the maximum time on the lazy river... ha ha ha

46 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

Or can you also float on other shaped floaters?

Yeah, I always bring my own low ride floaties to lazy rivers, sitting in the donut tube hurts after awhile. 

1 hour ago, SpeedNoodles said:

A precedent has been set - I had to be coaxed out of one at the Westin Scottsdale at closing time by hotel staff.

Haha I once managed 63 laps in one day at the Harrah's SoCal, we kept track with a mulch tally as we floated along. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2021 at 2:11 PM, Tyro said:

I had a convo with an higher up a while back on a conference, and they mentioned that one of the most requested things to add on a ship was a lazy river, but it can’t get put into a ship if they actually want the ship to float.  So I wouldn’t be shocked if they “compensate” for this by adding a lazy river at any location they possible can. Now the question would be for coco cay, would it be at the water park for cost or free for all to use? 

Interesting.  I wonder what the engineering dynamics are behind that??

On 11/4/2021 at 5:30 PM, SpeedNoodles said:

I'd love it if there was a lazy river IN the adults area.  They aren't relaxing when there are children in them.

Just thinking about this, floating, drink in my hand, no children jumping in along the way, pure bliss.

On 11/12/2021 at 7:43 PM, SummerRose said:

Interesting.  I wonder what the engineering dynamics are behind that??

I don't think it's anything other than the fact that water is heavy, and heavy on the top deck of the ship can be a problem.  Don't want the ship to capsize.  

When they added more decks to QE2 they had to use aluminum, to cut down on weight.

The "story behind" the AquaDuck water coaster on Disney Dream is that they wanted to do a lazy river on the ship, and then they realized that much weight was going to be a problem.  So they made a water coaster instead.

Also, even aside from the heaviness of the water, if you have a lazy river that goes from say, the port side to the starboard side, and the ship tilts a tiny bit, all the water will rush to one side of the river and the flow of the river will be ruined. Ever seen the videos of cruise ship pools in a storm? Imagine a storm with a lazy river. Dangerous amounts of water coming out of the river. I love a good lazy river, but it will never happen on a cruise ship unless they can fit it into the footprint of a typical cruise ship swimming pool.

On 11/16/2021 at 6:24 PM, karl_nj said:

I don't think it's anything other than the fact that water is heavy, and heavy on the top deck of the ship can be a problem.  Don't want the ship to capsize.  

When they added more decks to QE2 they had to use aluminum, to cut down on weight.

The "story behind" the AquaDuck water coaster on Disney Dream is that they wanted to do a lazy river on the ship, and then they realized that much weight was going to be a problem.  So they made a water coaster instead.

Maybe I was making it for difficult lol.  I was thinking that it would affect the buoyancy or something.

• 7 months later...
On 8/3/2021 at 6:21 PM, Ampurp85 said:

As a non-water person can someone please explain a lazy river. I have heard the term and seen one but don't quite understand the appeal.

A lazy river is a long (usually) and slow moving stream of water,  kind of like a calm river.

I would love if this lazy river was long enough to take you throughout CocoCay. Can you imagine getting one near the entrance of thrill water park and having it through out the island so you could get off at south beach or the beach club. I think that would be cool. I know the logistics of that would take too long but it would be interesting.