Royal Up

TeresaMc

Prior to bidding, I requested the Best Price Guarantee adjustment/reduction/onboard credit after seeing a price drop for my cruise. I have since bid on two different rooms via Royal Up. I’ve noticed that the price of the cruise has dropped again and wondering if I should contact them to make an additional adjustment. (They said over the phone that I could call multiple times, but it could take up to two weeks for them to review.) 

I’m debating whether or not to call them while awaiting the status of my bids. I’ll likely get a bigger onboard credit if I call now, but not sure if it will decreases my chances of winning a stateroom upgrade. I set sail 9/6 and we have paid in full. 

Does anyone have any experience in this department? 

Buying an upgrade would be significantly more than I paid for the cruise, this is a cruise I got a pretty good rate on a long time back. I’m going about half what the upgrade to a grand is. Which is still a fairly big bid but also still a deal. 

On 8/6/2021 at 6:03 PM, Wilson said:

Did you call your TA to inquire what an upgrade would cost before going with a "high bid"?

So since my October Symphony is now a fully vaccinated cruise due to St Thomas, lots of cancellations and lots of Royal Up options. 

I was tempted BUT we are traveling with RC “virgins” and we currently have cabins next to each other. I’d feel bad if we abandoned them for an upgrade. So I’m not partaking. I’m saving up to bid BIG on my 12 night Holy Land/Best of Greece on Odyssey. (now I won’t get a Royal Up I’m sure!)

On 8/8/2021 at 5:24 PM, KaydenDeen said:

Prior to bidding, I requested the Best Price Guarantee adjustment/reduction/onboard credit after seeing a price drop for my cruise. I have since bid on two different rooms via Royal Up. I’ve noticed that the price of the cruise has dropped again and wondering if I should contact them to make an additional adjustment. (They said over the phone that I could call multiple times, but it could take up to two weeks for them to review.) 

I’m debating whether or not to call them while awaiting the status of my bids. I’ll likely get a bigger onboard credit if I call now, but not sure if it will decreases my chances of winning a stateroom upgrade. I set sail 9/6 and we have paid in full. 

Does anyone have any experience in this department? 

I would definitely call and get the bigger onboard credit. First of all, "Royal Up" is run by a third party and will more than likely have no additional information about your reservation. And second of all, your bid may not get accepted any way - might as well get more onboard credit while you can!  ?

50 minutes ago, Jill said:

So since my October Symphony is now a fully vaccinated cruise due to St Thomas, lots of cancellations and lots of Royal Up options. 

I was tempted BUT we are traveling with RC “virgins” and we currently have cabins next to each other. I’d feel bad if we abandoned them for an upgrade. So I’m not partaking. I’m saving up to bid BIG on my 12 night Holy Land/Best of Greece on Odyssey. (now I won’t get a Royal Up I’m sure!)

You’re a good friend !?

23 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

You’re a good friend !?

Well we’re hoping to get them “hooked” and become part of our cruise buddies! We’re all empty nesters. The husband’s one and only cruise was the Carnival out of Jacksonville so it won’t take much to impress him! ? That’s why I picked Symphony. Go big (and the best) or stay home! 

On 8/9/2021 at 8:44 PM, Ch3l51 said:

Just checked the status of my bids for Aug 22 sailing. All are “expired” with the exception of one still “pending”. This is good news, right!?!?

What Ship are you on?  I have 3 bids on out Odyssey 8/22 but all still say pending.

• 1 month later...

I believe a lot of recent successful low dollar bids are because of reduced capacity.   

If they can get more money out of people for a cabin that otherwise would have been empty, it’s good for them.  Cabins are perishable….once the ship sails, there’s no way to sell it, so $200 more dollars for someone to upgrade is better than zero dollars. 

It’s a variation of what we do in the grocery business….  ”your first loss is your best loss”

It’s also a good time to get people to experience cabins they otherwise wouldn’t book on their own for full price.   For example, we wouldn’t have paid full booking price for a junior suite, but after a successful low dollar Royal Up, we are more inclined to book one if the cost isn’t that much more than the lower category cabin that we were going to book anyway. 

Edited by teddy
Typos and wrong autocorrects

It's so true that a taste of a better tier cabin can really spoil you. We used to do standard balcony cabins but then sailed on MSC and got a relatively inexpensive 'yacht club' cabin (roughly equivalent to a grand suite, but with dedicated "ship within a ship" amenities like YC only restaurant, bar, outdoor buffet, pool, bar & lounge, and patio). We haven't been able to go back since, and for our next 5 cruises have equivalents of junior suites or better booked.

When you take the broader view of it, it was the most expensive "cheap upgrade" we ever got.  😆