Royal Up

I believe a lot of recent successful low dollar bids are because of reduced capacity.   

If they can get more money out of people for a cabin that otherwise would have been empty, it’s good for them.  Cabins are perishable….once the ship sails, there’s no way to sell it, so $200 more dollars for someone to upgrade is better than zero dollars. 

It’s a variation of what we do in the grocery business….  ”your first loss is your best loss”

It’s also a good time to get people to experience cabins they otherwise wouldn’t book on their own for full price.   For example, we wouldn’t have paid full booking price for a junior suite, but after a successful low dollar Royal Up, we are more inclined to book one if the cost isn’t that much more than the lower category cabin that we were going to book anyway. 

Edited by teddy
Typos and wrong autocorrects

It's so true that a taste of a better tier cabin can really spoil you. We used to do standard balcony cabins but then sailed on MSC and got a relatively inexpensive 'yacht club' cabin (roughly equivalent to a grand suite, but with dedicated "ship within a ship" amenities like YC only restaurant, bar, outdoor buffet, pool, bar & lounge, and patio). We haven't been able to go back since, and for our next 5 cruises have equivalents of junior suites or better booked.

When you take the broader view of it, it was the most expensive "cheap upgrade" we ever got.  😆

• 8 months later...

Ok, so we’re on QOS June 13, and there are about 10 JS left, and only one Grand Suite with a large balcony. I’ve bid on a regular grand suite and it still shows pending. Since there aren’t any left, I assume that means I won’t win. But I went in to try and bid on a JS and I can’t, I’m not given an option to bid on one, only modify my current bid.  Can you only add all your bids at the same time? You can’t go back in later and bid on something else? 

Not a huge deal, but I’d kinda like to bid on more upgrades, just in case I manage to get lucky. 

On 5/22/2022 at 4:17 PM, TMiller said:

Can you only add all your bids at the same time? You can’t go back in later and bid on something else? 

You should be able to go in and add more bids.  Try going through https://www.royalcaribbean.com/booked/cruise-room-upgrade.

If it won't let you bid on any of the additional categories OR modify your current bid, then likely it is liked pending a potential acceptance of your bid.