Star Class - Quantum of the Seas

G'day all!

I am hoping some of you kind people can answer me a few questions regarding Star Class on Quantum of the Seas. I have read heaps of the live blogs on the Quantum class ships and this has given me heaps of information so far and I am getting way too excited even if I do have to wait until April 2023!

After receiving the sad news that Celebrity will not be sailing in AU/NZ and my Transpacific for April 2022 has been cancelled, I wanted (and needed) something to really look forward to as we still cannot travel internationally and the lift and shift wasn't going to work as they didn't have the category we were booked in. So in my deprived travel state of mind saw that Quantum was sailing from Brisbane to Hawaii which would be perfect as we are on the Gold Coast and don't need to fly to get to the AU port. 

I have booked a Grand Loft on deck 10 in the middle, based of information on these boards, so thank you! I am new to RCCL, only sailed on the Legend back in 2006. I liked it very much but was a 4 day taster cruise no where nearly as long as i would like. I have mostly sailed NCL in the Haven which I have loved and love my sea days so this Transpac is perfect.

So my questions around Star Class and ordering food/drinks to the suite, from what I have read you can order what you like from specialty restaurants and late night treats delivered etc, with the treats that you like, do these have to be a standing order or do you call your Genie/room service when you want something delivered? What happens when you fancy a late night snack after a boozy evening.....lol asking for a friend, honest! 

Also regarding drinks/mini bar set up, with so many sea days on this itinerary I know we will love to sit out the back with a few drinks and totally relax and chill. When ordering a drink from your Genie (or is it room service?) do you order each drink at a time? As i know you can only get 1 drink per card at the bars. Mini bar - great to see they will stock it with water, coke products etc, but what if you want vodka/gin? I do love a Negroni and a vodka/ginger beer, G&T etc. I am happy to pay for a bar set up if they offer that too? Just havent seen anything about the drinks/mini bar apart from beer being provided.

I know things can and possibly will change due to COVID but would love to get an idea what people have experienced. I am sure I will have more questions and loved how this board has so much info.

617 short days to go!

Thanks Dominic 

Excited for u!! We are heading on the Quatum..star class Grand Loft as well in 30 days ?

I would hope to have some answers for u when we get back but service may differ for ours because of covid n the current restrictions in Singapore so hopefully some of the other experts will be able to share some answers with u..I'm curious too..good questions esp on the bar orders ..

Btw Apr 2023...BNE to Hawaii..hahaha u are giving me ideas...how very tempting!!!

2 hours ago, Leikela said:

Excited for u!! We are heading on the Quatum..star class Grand Loft as well in 30 days ?

I would hope to have some answers for u when we get back but service may differ for ours because of covid n the current restrictions in Singapore so hopefully some of the other experts will be able to share some answers with u..I'm curious too..good questions esp on the bar orders ..

Btw Apr 2023...BNE to Hawaii..hahaha u are giving me ideas...how very tempting!!!

Thanks so much. Any insight would be good and appreciated. I get it will change and how cruise in the coming months and years will be different. 

enjoy your trip n 30 days. I really enjoyed your last blog on your cruise. 

I’ve only been in Star class, well actually cruise in general, once so I can only offer what I experienced. I too sailed from Singapore with covid restrictions so mine may be very similar to @Leikela This may differ with others more experienced with star class and from other locations

11 hours ago, DominicGCAU said:

So my questions around Star Class and ordering food/drinks to the suite, from what I have read you can order what you like from specialty restaurants and late night treats delivered etc, with the treats that you like, do these have to be a standing order or do you call your Genie/room service when you want something delivered? What happens when you fancy a late night snack after a boozy evening.....lol asking for a friend, honest! 

Speciality dining is only available when the restaurants themselves are open, meaning lunch or dinner time. For this we did order in advance with our genie. For all other room service, especially those late in the night, we called room service ourselves. Reason being that we figured the genie was resting and we didn’t want to bother her. You can only get stuff from the room service menu at those times anyway so no real issue

11 hours ago, DominicGCAU said:

Also regarding drinks/mini bar set up, with so many sea days on this itinerary I know we will love to sit out the back with a few drinks and totally relax and chill. When ordering a drink from your Genie (or is it room service?) do you order each drink at a time? As i know you can only get 1 drink per card at the bars. Mini bar - great to see they will stock it with water, coke products etc, but what if you want vodka/gin? I do love a Negroni and a vodka/ginger beer, G&T etc. I am happy to pay for a bar set up if they offer that too? Just havent seen anything about the drinks/mini bar apart from beer being provided.

I remember reading somewhere that bar drinks are not included in room service charges, meaning that even though you have the drinks package, it does not apply to room service. For my cruise, we ordered drink with in suite dining through genie and once through regular room service. Both were not charged. I will say though that it’s definitely not gonna be the same as having a drink at the bar, since it is prepared before hand and sitting there for some time before reaching your hands. Can’t give any info on alcohol since my family doesn’t partake but yes mini bar is stocked with your choice of drinks. Maybe alcohol can be one of these 

12 hours ago, DominicGCAU said:

order what you like from specialty restaurants and late night treats delivered etc, with the treats that you like

do these have to be a standing order or do you call your Genie/room service when you want something delivered? What happens when you fancy a late night snack  

Also regarding drinks/mini bar set up, with so many sea days on this itinerary I know we will love to sit out the back with a few drinks and totally relax and chill. When ordering a drink from your Genie (or is it room service?) do you order each drink at a time?

Mini bar - great to see they will stock it with water, coke products etc, but what if you want vodka/gin?  I am happy to pay for a bar set up if they offer that too? 

Welcome to the Blog, Dominic !!

Star Class is awesome.  I know you will enjoy it.

Good choice on the Suite !  The middle GLS on Deck 10 are the creme-de-la-creme of the GLS.  They are huge and the views are incredible.  Plus you will not have quite the noise problem (from the 270 shows) that we had on Deck 8.

For US sailings (not sure if the rules will be the same for AU/TransPac sailings), you could order anything to drink and have it delivered to your suite.  Of course, the drink might be a bit on the weakish side by the time it gets to you if you have ice in it but I have read of some people who asked for the ice to be left out of the drink...and then you can add ice once the drink reaches the suite. Your suite will always be stocked with ice, water, soda, juice and beer.  Wine and liquor are extra.

Regarding food delivery to your suite...as @LogicallyLazynoted, room service from the specialty restaurants is limited to the restaurants' operating hours....so if you get a yearning for lobster at midnight, you will be SOL LOL.  You CAN order from regular room service but you will be limited to the room service menu.  No charge though...

No, you do not have to have a "standing order".  You can order whenever (with the operating hours restrictions noted above) or whatever you want.  If, for instance, you want to eat breakfast in your suite every morning, it might be useful to give that order to the Genie the night before.....that way there is no delay in getting it delivered.  It IS possible to order your own food, but I have found, over the years, that it is not always easy to get through to the room service people and in the end, I have just decided that letting the Genie do the ordering for you is the easiest way, all things considered.  Being proactive will result in less wasted time and warmer food !!

Alcohol in your suite....this is a tough one.  Is it possible ?  Yes.  Is it easy ?  No.  Is it cheap ?  NO !!!  During one of our SC cruises we had friends who were also SC and they insisted on having liquor delivered to their suite.  Basically, you must purchase the bottles of whatever you want at a VERY inflated price (they basically charge you the equivalent of retail cost for individual drinks for the entire bottle....very costly).  You would be far better off just ordering the drinks individually and having them delivered.  The same is true of wine.  Why would you pay for a bottle of wine when you can have as many individual glasses of wine as you want for "free" ??

Last thing to keep in mind....the Genie returns to his/her lamp at 9PM.  It is good to be mindful of that and try and keep your requests to their operating hours.  Obviously, if you have an emergency you can call after 9PM but for the most part, they try and retire for the night around 9PM. Even Genies have to rest !!

Enjoy your SC cruise.  Warning though....you will be forever spoiled.  It's just one of those nasty side effects !

Thank you so much for the information. Since booking the trip I’ve been reading all the information on here as I could. @WAAAYTOOO and @LogicallyLazy appreciate the detailed response. 

look forward to reading more as cruising opens up around the world and can’t wait to be ruined by SC hehe! 

thanks again Dominic 

Super excited for you @DominicGCAU!  

Thanks to the advice from @WAAAYTOOO and some others in the Blog, I’ve booked a GLS on Deck 10 in the middle as well, cruising in early November on Quantum of the Seas (Singapore).  Will share my experience after my cruise (or maybe a live update if I’m up to it).  I had initially booked a corner GLS on Deck 10 cos of the 3 balconies and of course the cute hanging chair on the balconies.  After realising the difference in footage and configuration between corner and middle GLS, I called the hotline and changed out to the middle GLS. 

Just sharing the experience of a friend who was on Star Class on Quantum of the Seas in May 2021 - he ordered 10 glasses of champagne into his GLS (there were only 2 of them in the suite) each night and the Genie obliged!  My family is not much of a drinker but since it’s included in the cruise fare, we may order a bubbly or two just for the fun of it ?  

22 hours ago, ReanReally said:

Super excited for you @DominicGCAU!  

Thanks to the advice from @WAAAYTOOO and some others in the Blog, I’ve booked a GLS on Deck 10 in the middle as well, cruising in early November on Quantum of the Seas (Singapore).  Will share my experience after my cruise (or maybe a live update if I’m up to it).  I had initially booked a corner GLS on Deck 10 cos of the 3 balconies and of course the cute hanging chair on the balconies.  After realising the difference in footage and configuration between corner and middle GLS, I called the hotline and changed out to the middle GLS. 

Just sharing the experience of a friend who was on Star Class on Quantum of the Seas in May 2021 - he ordered 10 glasses of champagne into his GLS (there were only 2 of them in the suite) each night and the Genie obliged!  My family is not much of a drinker but since it’s included in the cruise fare, we may order a bubbly or two just for the fun of it ?  

Thanks heaps. I’d love to read about your experiences! 
wow 10 glasses of champers!!! Food for thought haha. 

Our cruises for this year and next year have been cancelled as well. We decided to treat ourselves and book the Royal Loft Suite on Quantum in Apr 2023. 
We originally had a Owners Suite booked on Quantum but decided to YOLO as the price seemed reasonable plus we had a few 125% FCC to apply.

It will be our first time in Star Class and we are very excited as we will have all our family with us.

We also lifted and shifted one our Ovation cruises to October 2022 so we get and extra 2 nights for no extra cost.

We will rebook the TP for Apr 2024 when it becomes available.