Hi Cruise Friends- 

We’re sailing out on Serenade on 9/6/21 with ports of call in Sitka, Icy Straight Point, Juneau and Ketchikan. This will be our first time experiencing Alaska.

We’d really like to go whale watching, but was wondering if the experience would be better in Juneau or Icy Strait Point. It appears Juneau has a greater variety of whale watching adventures compared to Icy Strait. Are the whales more plentiful in Juneau? 

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you 

We did it in Icy Straight.  There was much less to do there when we visited than Juneau so we made that our whale day.  We went on a small, private excursion with just five on the boat and the captain.  We got to zip to all the spots before the bigger tour boats made it.  We even saw whales right off the dock when we were there when we got off the tender.   They built a real dock now, so I don't know if the whales come that close anymore, but it was amazing.

Icy Strait Point is known for marine wildlife.   However I've also gone whale watching in Juneau on a different trip.

Both are acceptable but I'd give ISP a nod for better chances.  Some of their tours even guarantee seeing marine wildlife. 

Where ever you do it I'd advise seeking a smaller boat if you want to get closer to the action and have better views.  On the larger excursion boats when someone yells whale 150 people run to that side of the boat.   

Juneau whale excursion in this thread:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/6634-explorer-alaska-62218-7-nights-rclblog-group-cruise/&do=findComment&comment=73463

(Note the pictures of a bigger boat packed with people that came by)

ISP whale excursion in this thread on a bigger boat (my first Alaska cruise, rookie mistake)

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/5211-alaska-recap-celebrity-millennium-june-2017/&do=findComment&comment=51846

@twangster

Wow! I can’t thank you enough for your links. I was searching for something like this on this blog, but somehow I missed it. Alaska should be paying you for all the tourist dollars you’re probably bringing their way. Your photos were better than anything I’ve seen on my Google searches. I was questioning if I’d made a mistake booking this cruise, but your photos put my mind at ease. ? Thank you 

9 hours ago, KaydenDeen said:

I was questioning if I’d made a mistake booking this cruise, but your photos put my mind at ease. ? Thank you 

I kept putting off an Alaskan cruising for years, then I did one.  Then I did four more.  Alaska is beautiful.  You won't regret it.

PS - I have two more Alaska cruises booked and will go again in 2023 once they release that season.  Every visit to Alaska is different.  

Here is another thread on Ovation:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/12630-ovation-goes-north-way-north-to-alaska-11-nights-may-13-2019/

Maybe some of those port stops overlap with your cruise for more ideas.

19 hours ago, twangster said:

Juneau whale excursion in this thread:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/6634-explorer-alaska-62218-7-nights-rclblog-group-cruise/&do=findComment&comment=73463

(Note the pictures of a bigger boat packed with people that came by)

ISP whale excursion in this thread on a bigger boat (my first Alaska cruise, rookie mistake)

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/5211-alaska-recap-celebrity-millennium-june-2017/&do=findComment&comment=51846

@twangsterI booked my whale watching with max 48 people, is that too many.  RC has one for $100 more pp with 20 people max, would half the size be worth the extra $200.  Whale watching is one of my top things I want to see/do while in Alaska.  

12 minutes ago, MicDay said:

@twangsterI booked my whale watching with max 48 people, is that too many.  RC has one for $100 more pp with 20 people max, would half the size be worth the extra $200.  Whale watching is one of my top things I want to see/do while in Alaska.  

So here's the thing with larger boats:

duEWTa7.jpg

When everyone rushed to one side it  actually starts to list that way ? 

The problem is trying to secure a spot on the railing so you can see.  Once a whale is spotted on the other side, it's a mad dash to secure a spot on the railing on the other side.  

When you are on a smaller boat they are more agile and can more quickly move with the whales or to another location.

What tends to happen is the larger boats are a little further away while the smaller boats end up getting between the whales and the larger boats.  In this next picture a whale had just submerged behind me so my smaller boat was between the larger boat and the whales.

aZC1nSf.jpg

Is that worth $200?  That's up to you to decide.  

9 hours ago, KaydenDeen said:

@twangster@AshleyDillo

Such great advice. I am going to take your suggestion and will take a private excursion on a smaller boat in ICP. Found a small company with a smaller boat for a reasonable price and great reviews. #excited

@KaydenDeenDo you mind sharing what company you found with a small boat?  The two I've found outside of RC only have large boats?  Thanks!!!

Just so everyone knows, the captains of these excursions boats all know each other, it's a small community even if the company they work for are competitors.  Most will get on the radio and exchange sighting locations.  On the smaller boats you may be able to hear the radio chatter and see this in action yourself. 

The whale-watching tour that we did in Juneau was very good.  We saw a lot of whales.  One, "Sasha", even breached directly (about 75 feet) behind our boat (about 5 of us saw it, everyone else was looking at another whale in another direction).  Even in Juneau, where there are more boats, the captains still share information for locations of the whales.   I'd do it again in a heartbeat (from either port of call).

1 hour ago, MicDay said:

@SpeedNoodles what company did you use in Juneau if you don't mind sharing.

We booked it through Royal, but it was operated by Allen Marine Tours.  The boats were good sized, but not as large as the one in the photo that Twangster posted above.  The employees were fantastic (but I'd imagine you'll find that with the majority of tour operators up there).

3 hours ago, MicDay said:

@SpeedNoodles what company did you use in Juneau if you don't mind sharing.

@KaydenDeensorry I keep highjacking your thread!

@MicDay I’m glad you’re here! The more information I have on Alaska the better! It just makes me MORE excited for this trip

I've cruised Alaska a few times now. 

For years I always thought "bikinis look better than parkas" so I kept putting off an Alaskan cruise.  Then I finally did one.  Wow!  I was hooked.  

Every visit is different.  Every cruise has been great.  

I cruise differently when going to Alaska.  The ship activities and entertainment become secondary, I'm there for Alaska and I soak up every minute outside watching it all whenever possible.   I've even skipped all shows, 70's parties and such just so I soak in as much scenery as I can. I don't buy the drink package so I am sharp, up early to catch the sunrise then up late to watch the sunset in the inside passage.

If you are going to Dawes glacier move around the ship.  Go down to a lower deck and watch ice flows passing by then try the helipad then try a higher deck then lunch outdoors at the aft of the Windjammer to watch it all sail by.  So beautiful and seeing the ship in close proximity to the high mountain walls is magical.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks, @twangster
Your Alaskan holiday is exactly what I had pictured for us. Im not concerned about the ship activities- I just want to see Alaska in all it’s glory. I’ve never heard anybody say anything negative about their experiences there. I’m headed there with high expectations and I have a good feeling that this is going to be a trip of a lifetime. 

Thanks again for all your help and inspiration. 

We sailed with Glacier Winds in ISP, and I highly recommend them. As a matter of fact, we will be booking with them again next time. ? Small boat trip, very personable captain. We had a great time.

https://www.g-wind.com/about-us/

And before Covid cancelled our AK trip in 2020, we had Jayleen scheduled in Juneau. Had reserched, and she had excellent reviews. All funds were promptly refunded when we had to cancel. Here is her site:

https://jayleensalaska.com

We would book with her again after our experience with service.

10 hours ago, KaydenDeen said:

@barbeyg 

Thank you for the suggestions! 

My pleasure. We are currently in the process of booking right now ourselves. ? I ❤️ smaller boat whale-watching excursions. Such a different experience from the bigger boats. ? And nothing quite like the sound of a humpback blowing as he/she surfaces, or the rush from seeing a breach. Hope you have a fantastic trip! 

On 8/7/2021 at 8:19 AM, barbeyg said:

My pleasure. We are currently in the process of booking right now ourselves. ? I ❤️ smaller boat whale-watching excursions. Such a different experience from the bigger boats. ? And nothing quite like the sound of a humpback blowing as he/she surfaces, or the rush from seeing a breach. Hope you have a fantastic trip! 

@barbeygthank you!  The one you recommended was what I was looking for, it sounds perfect!  I've booked it, thank you!!!

For my fellow cruisers they had 4 openings left if anyone interested!!  

46 minutes ago, MicDay said:

@barbeygthank you!  The one you recommended was what I was looking for, it sounds perfect!  I've booked it, thank you!!!

For my fellow cruisers they had 4 openings left if anyone interested!!  

So glad to hear that! We also are booked with her for next May. Cannot wait! Have a wonderful trip, and may your whale-watching cruise be exceptional! ?

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/6/2021 at 8:01 PM, barbeyg said:

We sailed with Glacier Winds in ISP, and I highly recommend them. As a matter of fact, we will be booking with them again next time. ? Small boat trip, very personable captain. We had a great time.

https://www.g-wind.com/about-us/

And before Covid cancelled our AK trip in 2020, we had Jayleen scheduled in Juneau. Had reserched, and she had excellent reviews. All funds were promptly refunded when we had to cancel. Here is her site:

We would book with her again after our experience with service.

@barbeyg I'm so thankful you directed me to https://jayleensalaska.com,

Anyone looking for an excellent excursions from Juneau please do not hesitate to contact Jayleen! 

If anyone has any questions I'd be more then happy to answer them if I can.

We had an amazing time!

44 minutes ago, MicDay said:

You will not be disappointed, it was truly an amazing trip.

If you have any questions just ask and I'll give you our thoughts.

I do have one, thank you. 🙂 My sister and aunt are older and can get around, and we don’t care if it takes them a little bit longer to walk out to the boat, since we booked private for just us.  I know all the boat tours say that there are two big steps down into the boat.  My hubby and I plan to help both down and back up. Do you think that is doable? We are both in great shape, so we’re hoping this shouldn’t be an issue. 

We told them we would get them on this boat, even if we have to borrow a dolly. 😂

• 2 months later...

Hey Kayden,

You sound a lot like me.  I love getting any and all information I can.  Quite the planner.  My wife and I are cruising on the Radiance to Alaska for our first time on May 27 and are really looking forward to it. 

We are looking at going whale watching in Juneau and then heading to Mendenhall Glacier afterwards.  We haven't paid, but planning to whale watch in Juneau as we've learned Juneau has a larger typical population during our time of cruise.  I tried contacting Jayleen but she was not available our week.  In her informing us she was not available, she recommended these other small boat companies: Harv & Marv Outback Alaska, Rum Runner Charters, Lost In Alaska Adventures, Moore Charters, and Local Guy Charters.  They didn't pan out for us, but thought I would pass it along.  Currently we are leaning with Juneau Tours.  They have 2 boats with up to 26 passengers each.  Mostly because they have a combo of whale watch followed by bus to Mendenhall Glacier.  And the big kicker was that they have buses that pick up every 1/2 hour so you could stay at the glacier longer if you wanted so you don't have to try and rush our to the waterfall and back in 1 hours.  I am hoping to hike to the waterfall then fly my drone over to the glacier for some close video and pictures.

For other shore excursions while on our cruise, we are also planning to take the Train to the White Pass Summit and then Biking back down while in Skagway and also doing the Eco-Tour Kayak trip when in Ketchikan.  

We were planning to nature hike and possibly drone, if the right spot allows, when in Icy Straight Point, BUT I do get the point of more to do in Juneau than ISP so we still may flip the whale watch for more freedom in Juneau.  Just not sure.  Juneau is suppose to be the most populated of whales and even killer whales at first of June.  

I look forward to feedback with regards to my post as well.

On 8/2/2021 at 8:07 PM, KaydenDeen said:

Hi Cruise Friends- 

We’re sailing out on Serenade on 9/6/21 with ports of call in Sitka, Icy Straight Point, Juneau and Ketchikan. This will be our first time experiencing Alaska.

We’d really like to go whale watching, but was wondering if the experience would be better in Juneau or Icy Strait Point. It appears Juneau has a greater variety of whale watching adventures compared to Icy Strait. Are the whales more plentiful in Juneau? 

Icy Straight Point (a little more remote).

On 11/12/2021 at 11:42 AM, ramebane said:

Hey Kayden,

You sound a lot like me.  I love getting any and all information I can.  Quite the planner.  My wife and I are cruising on the Radiance to Alaska for our first time on May 27 and are really looking forward to it. 

We are looking at going whale watching in Juneau and then heading to Mendenhall Glacier afterwards.  We haven't paid, but planning to whale watch in Juneau as we've learned Juneau has a larger typical population during our time of cruise.  I tried contacting Jayleen but she was not available our week.  In her informing us she was not available, she recommended these other small boat companies: Harv & Marv Outback Alaska, Rum Runner Charters, Lost In Alaska Adventures, Moore Charters, and Local Guy Charters.  They didn't pan out for us, but thought I would pass it along.  Currently we are leaning with Juneau Tours.  They have 2 boats with up to 26 passengers each.  Mostly because they have a combo of whale watch followed by bus to Mendenhall Glacier.  And the big kicker was that they have buses that pick up every 1/2 hour so you could stay at the glacier longer if you wanted so you don't have to try and rush our to the waterfall and back in 1 hours.  I am hoping to hike to the waterfall then fly my drone over to the glacier for some close video and pictures.

For other shore excursions while on our cruise, we are also planning to take the Train to the White Pass Summit and then Biking back down while in Skagway and also doing the Eco-Tour Kayak trip when in Ketchikan.  

We were planning to nature hike and possibly drone, if the right spot allows, when in Icy Straight Point, BUT I do get the point of more to do in Juneau than ISP so we still may flip the whale watch for more freedom in Juneau.  Just not sure.  Juneau is suppose to be the most populated of whales and even killer whales at first of June.  

I look forward to feedback with regards to my post as well.

Hi! We are on your sailing! We added the 3 night land tour to Denali beforehand. I'm really having a tough time deciding on what White Pass excursion to do. There's like 11 different ones. lol Are you booking yours through Royal or through White Pass? 

On 8/2/2021 at 9:07 PM, KaydenDeen said:

Hi Cruise Friends- 

Just checking in to see how your trip was. Anything special to share? 

50 minutes ago, Jill said:

Hi! We are on your sailing! We added the 3 night land tour to Denali beforehand. I'm really having a tough time deciding on what White Pass excursion to do. There's like 11 different ones. lol Are you booking yours through Royal or through White Pass? 

It was a special request situation.  My father is 88 and was going to go on the train portion but not the bike part so we coordinated it all with both companies.  So my wife and I booked the White Pass Railway & Bike Tour through Sockeye Cycle Co. and booked my father with White Pass Scenic Railway (Roundtrip to Fraser) directly through White Pass & Yukon Route Railroad.  This way we will sit together for the train ride up and he will stay on beyond to Fraser and then return while we bicycle our way back.

The bike ride is 15 miles and descends almost 3,300' in elevation.  Almost all coasting and braking.  We did the same thing when in Maui, biking down the Haleakala volcano for 23 miles and it was great so we had to do it again on this trip.