First Cruise Worries

Leedslass

Myself, husband and 12 year old daughter have booked our first cruise on Navigator of the Seas next August for 2 weeks out of Southampton, this is to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. I've been reading different review websites and I'm wondering if I've done the right thing, some comments have said the ship is very tired looking (I thought this had only been refurbished in 2014) food not always up to scratch, very over crowded and not enough staff, I was advised that booking with Royal Caribbean was the best option if you had children as they have a vast amount of activities for them, and if my daughters happy then we will be, can anyone try and put my mind at rest, this cruise is a significant amount of money to me and I want it to be as good/better than I'm expecting, help. :unsure:

Haven't been on Navigator, but have heard good things...not bad...

RE: RCI's youth program "Adventure Ocean" ...we found it to be an excellent program w/fun, experienced, attentive staff...

My 12yo is so excited for our next cruise on Freedom of the Seas in March17...

She thoroughly enjoyed her first cruise on Vision when she was 11yo (Voyagers 9-11) where they did lots of games and crafts

Next time, she'll be 12yo (Navigators 12-14)  where they will probably do more sports and video games, which is right up her alley...

I believe you can't go wrong with any RCI ship and I trust you've made a great decision in choosing Navigator...

There are a ton of cruise reviews out there that are negative. I've yet to find much truth in any of them personally compared to my experience.

Food is very subjective, but I've found the food to be superior on the ships sailing from the UK as the menu seems to beer more diverse than normal. I'll admit I want a fan of the menus on my cruise last month to the Baltics, but that's only because I've been sailing Royal a lot lately and I'm getting tired of the menus, which are thankfully changing. Mind you, there food was still good, but it was a been there/done that situation for me. We simply find in some of these specialty restaurants for added variety.

Personally, I've only heard good things about the Navigator, so I think you're in for a good time.

Don't worry about those negative reviews.  Some people are just never happy...and I tend to believe that they're bogus to begin with.

I admit that I am very easy to please so I rarely find anything to complain about anyway....but I am a firm believer that if you BELIEVE you will have a good time you WILL have a good time.  Just go in with a positive attitude and reasonable expectations and you will be AMAZED !

I am on Navigator over Christmas and New Year's and I cannot WAIT ! 

II agree with WAAAYTOOO. If you are generally picky and difficult in life, you are going to be the same on your cruise. If you go with the flow with a relaxed attitude, wanting to have a good time, then you probably will. Me personally, I am happy to be in the Caribbean, or just simply grateful to be on vacation. It's up to you.

Eric

Navigator is a great ship and has Oasis class upgrades which makes it even better. It's Matt's favorite ship and I can see why. I think you will enjoy her very much. Enjoy your first ever cruise! There will always be negative reviews and the naysayers... I've seen some reviews of my favorite class of ship, Oasis, which made me wonder if they sailed on the same ship I did?

Navigator is my favorite RC ship.  But more importantly, ignore all of those reviews.  You can find negative reviews about everything.  People hate Star Wars, puppies and ice cream. All that means is everyone has their own opinions.  

I will tell you that Navigator is fabulous and you will have a great time!

Navigator is a wonderful ship. We enjoyed sailing aboard her.    Actually all of the ships  are wonderful as they all have quirks that make each one enjoyable.  We rarely believe the bad reviews as you will see the great reviews far outweigh the negative responses whom you will encounter on occasion almost anywhere.  All of the previous postings are spot on.    Adventure Ocean is excellent for your children.  Most importantly ENJOY  the cruise and HAPPY ANNIVERSARY.

Saying a ship is "tired" never made a bit of sense to me.  I suppose if it was painted in Eighties pink and blue, or Seventies avocado and harvest gold colors that may make sense, but just because it's not in this year's trendy shade of green doesn't make a ship "tired".

Skip the bad reviews and take your cruise without someone else's notions colo(u)ring your experience.

To me, the Voyager Class (includes the navigator) is the sweet spot of cruise ships.  It's big enough to have lots to do, but small enough to that the crowds are not huge.  

Try to arrive a day early (for safety of flight delays) and pack you medicines and other important things in your carry on.  

As mentioned above, if you have a glass half full view of life, you will love this ship.  If your glass is half empty....

Hi LeedsLass.  You've absolutely nothing to worry about.  I booked the Navigator as a first time cruiser and then started reading the reviews.  Some of them are really terrible and I was going to cancel despite losing money on it.  I was really worried but I decided to go anyway and it was one of the BEST holidays we've ever had.  We only got back on Sunday and I am still going on about how good it was to anyone that will listen!  I have written a review on CruiseCritic if you want to look at it.  Have a fab time - I've no doubt that you will.

Thank you all for your words or reassurance and I'm going to stop reading the negative reviews and start the count down to our holiday, I'm hoping this will be our first cruise of many to come as I think it's a fab way of seeing the world, thank you GrubbyGrubbles  I too was very close to cancelling but I'm going to enjoy the experience to come, I will have a look at your review and once again thank you.

Leedslass,

I always read reviews on several sites, but I only take them with a grain of salt. No offense to anyone, but if the review starts off, "This is my first cruise and what a big disappointment", I go no further. People go into a cruise expecting that they will be waited on hand and foot, white glove service on everything, fabulous food 24 hours a day. You need to go in with reasonable expectations and from there you will have the time of your life.

I just finished a 10 day cruise, (different cruise line), posted a very long review, because it was one of the best cruises I ever took, and above and below my review, were reviews that stated "worst cruise ever". I began to wonder if I was on the same ship. Both of these reviews were from first time cruisers and couldn't seem to find a place at the pool or the loungers by the pool. This was only a small part of the cruise,where was the rest of the cruise on your review? Why didn't they try early in the A.M. or late in the afternoon? I don't do the pool, so, of course, I didn't have this problem.

I think a cruise is what you make it, as soon as you board the ship.

Candie

...some comments have said the ship is very tired looking....food not always up to scratch...very over crowded...not enough staff...

If you believe these negative comments about the Navigator, they will be true.    Between now and next August, there will be over 3000 passengers every week, (total  more than 156,000)  that will love their experience aboard the Navigator.    Less than 1% will be miserable.   If YOU choose to be that 1% it will be awful.     .....relax...enjoy....you will have a wonderful memorable time.     Bon Voyage!

question about eating while on an excursion or in port.  Some of the excursions I am reviewing for an upcoming cruise include a snack or lunch (Cozumel, Beleize and Costa Maya are the ports). Is it safe to eat this food?  Silly me, but I was always taught to never eat food off the ship because it may make you sick particularly in Mexico etc.  Being new to cruising etc......I just need to understand this.  I would imagine with all these ships and all these tours that people are fine eating the food/beverages offered off the ship. Love to get feedback.  I am a bit nervous about it. 

In Mexico get bottled water, beer or wine ,   No cocktails with ice or frozen drinks.  The food is awesome.And yes it is safe . We have never had a problem eating food off of the ship in any country.    It is amazing the cuisine you will discover and  how you will  want to go back to those countries for that reason.   

In Mexico get bottled water, beer or wine ,   No cocktails with ice or frozen drinks.  The food is awesome.And yes it is safe . We have never had a problem eating food off of the ship in any country.    It is amazing the cuisine you will discover and  how you will  want to go back to those countries for that reason.   

Some of the best food I've ever eaten was on these excursions - eat the food since it's been cooked, and drink the bottled water or mixed drinks/beer.  

question about eating while on an excursion or in port.  Some of the excursions I am reviewing for an upcoming cruise include a snack or lunch (Cozumel, Beleize and Costa Maya are the ports). Is it safe to eat this food?  Silly me, but I was always taught to never eat food off the ship because it may make you sick particularly in Mexico etc.  Being new to cruising etc......I just need to understand this.  I would imagine with all these ships and all these tours that people are fine eating the food/beverages offered off the ship. Love to get feedback.  I am a bit nervous about it. 

If it's provided on a ship-sponsored tour, I wouldn't worry too much.  They wouldn't continue to use the tour provider if they were serving food to guests that made them sick.

I've yet to suffer from any food or beverages served on a ship's excursion.

I agree with the others, it is what you make of it.  Keep your expectations in check and all you can do is go up! Its your first cruise! You don't know any differently!  I'll be honest, my 13 year old struggled to be entertained by the teen club, but he enjoyed other amenities of the ship with us as a family.  I think its just an awkward age and depends a lot on your comfort level of interacting with strangers if you didn't bring any friends or close relatives, BUT  no matter what ship you're on you can't escape the sheer majesty and awe of being on the ocean and waking up in a new place every day.  It's like nothing else. My kids loved being on deck to observe sail way and arrival in port. They loved having all you-can-eat bacon in the mornings, pizza & ice cream 15 times a day and thought it was plain awesome to order room service. The towel animals and napkin creations from the staff were so fun, too.  I guess what i'm saying is look for the simple pleasures first and you won't be disappointed. Have fun!