Aug 22 Allure trip report -- with a bit of pre-game commentary

mk-ultra

Starting this trip report a little earlier than I normally would, because COVID is at the top of most folks’ mind, so I wanted to share what’s going through mine at the moment.

Basics:

Cruise: Allure, August 22nd out of Port Canaveral - 7 nights
Itinerary: St. Kitts, St. Thomas and CocoCay, the rest being sea days
Me: 55 and fully vaccinated with no comorbidities

I’m still in “go” mode for this trip for now.  For me, the risk isn’t so much COVID any longer.  The risk of a breakthrough infection isn’t zero, but FL’s numbers kinda make that a higher possibility.  If I do get infected, the risk of hospitalization or croaking are vanishingly small — but it would very much suck to have a positive test and not be able to board.

Vaccinated passengers on this cruise are now required to have a negative PCR or antigen test within 72 hours prior to sailing.  I’m flying out on 8/20, so I’m getting one here locally on the 19th in CA because there are multiple reports of testing sites in Florida being hammered.  I wouldn’t count on flying in and getting one at the last minute.

I’ve set a personal deadline of 8/18 to pull the plug on this cruise and that’s almost entirely contingent on how FL is doing.  Their ICU numbers aren’t looking great and it would suck to be admitted for anything, even not COVID related.

14 minutes ago, mk-ultra said:

Starting this trip report a little earlier than I normally would, because COVID is at the top of most folks’ mind, so I wanted to share what’s going through mine at the moment.

Basics:

Cruise: Allure, August 22nd out of Port Canaveral - 7 nights
Itinerary: St. Kitts, St. Thomas and CocoCay, the rest being sea days
Me: 55 and fully vaccinated with no comorbidities

I’m still in “go” mode for this trip for now.  For me, the risk isn’t so much COVID any longer.  The risk of a breakthrough infection isn’t zero, but FL’s numbers kinda make that a higher possibility.  If I do get infected, the risk of hospitalization or croaking are vanishingly small — but it would very much suck to have a positive test and not be able to board.

Vaccinated passengers on this cruise are now required to have a negative PCR or antigen test 72 hours prior to sailing.  I’m flying out on 8/20, so I’m getting one here locally on the 19th in CA because there are multiple reports of testing sites in Florida being hammered.  I wouldn’t count on flying in and getting one at the last minute.

I’ve set a personal deadline of 8/18 to pull the plug on this cruise and that’s almost entirely contingent on how FL is doing.  Their ICU numbers aren’t looking great and it would suck to be admitted for anything, even not COVID related.

You are over thinking it.  There is still a very low risk of you getting it assuming you take reasonable precautions and social distance as much as possible in the time leading up to your trip.  

19 minutes ago, wordell1 said:

You are over thinking it.  There is still a very low risk of you getting it assuming you take reasonable precautions and social distance as much as possible in the time leading up to your trip.  

That would be nice.  I'm flying to OH 8/9 for a work trip.  I do all the recommended stuff, but I'll be in a tube with ~150 other people for 6.5 hours.  Flights are packed.  Like 100% full.  Hard to social distance on an aircraft, including my flight to MCO.

8 minutes ago, mk-ultra said:

That would be nice.  I'm flying to OH 8/9 for a work trip.  I do all the recommended stuff, but I'll be in a tube with ~150 other people.

Airlines have been flying throughout the start of covid and there is no evidence of increased transmission.  There have been studies that show flight attendants did not get covid at an elevated risk to the general population and they are in the "tube" all day.

Booking a rental car out of MCO was (initially) problematic.  My former hometown (Merritt Island) is close to the port, so if I cruise out of Canaveral I usually add a day to explore and get a one-way rental out of MCO to the port.

Unlike most places, there isn't a price premium for doing this.

Hertz was just zip, nada, nothing available for 3+ weeks, so I went with Avis.

12 hours ago, wordell1 said:

Airlines have been flying throughout the start of covid and there is no evidence of increased transmission.  There have been studies that show flight attendants did not get covid at an elevated risk to the general population and they are in the "tube" all day.

I think Delta variant would change those results due to how much more contagious it is but agree it's still small risk assuming everyone stays masked.

Ugh.  Just pulled the eject handle on this cruise.

On the team I manage at work, just had 3 breakthrough cases for the fully-vaccinated.  I've got employees with under 12 y/o kids and folks with immunocomprised people at home.

That's tripped my limit.  I seriously wanted to be on this sailing (pretty much like everyone else who has had to cancel/postpone stuff for 18+ months).  FL is a train wreck.  Again, the risk to me is small, but the risk of bringing it back impacts a lot of other people and their kids.  So no-go.

Trying again in December.  Super bummed.

Fingers crossed we cruise safely on Aug 22.  Seems like a lot could still happen in the next couple weeks.  Will need to check back with HR at work about travelling out of the country. May have to (or want to) work from home for a while after the cruise...