New cruise planner sale starts August 4

Jill

18 minutes ago, CJS2766 said:
18 minutes ago, CJS2766 said:

I've come to learn that whatever "their" percentage off states, it the price you have to look at! the 2 are never in sync!

I totally agree that the 2 prices aren’t in sync & even when there is a pre-Cruise sale it doesn’t seem like the prices are cheaper than before the sale. with the old cruise planner site I noticed that when there was a % off and what I had previously purchased for the sailing was actually cheaper but on the new cruise planner site I have a bit of a hard time knowing if what I purchased pre-cruise is actually cheaper because before the gratuity was included but now you have to pay the gratuity for each thing that you purchase pre-Cruise. 

I am definitely not holding my breath for another so-called sale. Since May of last year, when I L&S-ed from Allure to Harmony, the prices on my cruise planner have been systematically alternating back and forth between pretty much the same prices, to within maybe a dollar or two at the most, and certainly nothing that even slightly tempts me to get my credit card out. We would have considered a 3-night dining package if it had ever been offered at a sensible price but it's never, not once, in all of these months budged from $124. For that amount of money, we'll stick to the MDR. Voom has also been notoriously expensive for this sailing. Effectively Royal are pushing us to be "no-spend" cruisers. How can that be to their advantage?

Curious…. Since DBP prices vary by ship, one can assume each ship has a DBP quota to achieve. Has anyone compared pre cruise prices to onboard prices? I have only purchased onboard once and it was $47/day plus the tip (18%). Seems they would get aggressive to reach their quota

16 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

I am definitely not holding my breath for another so-called sale. Since May of last year, when I L&S-ed from Allure to Harmony, the prices on my cruise planner have been systematically alternating back and forth between pretty much the same prices, to within maybe a dollar or two at the most, and certainly nothing that even slightly tempts me to get my credit card out. We would have considered a 3-night dining package if it had ever been offered at a sensible price but it's never, not once, in all of these months budged from $124. For that amount of money, we'll stick to the MDR. Voom has also been notoriously expensive for this sailing. Effectively Royal are pushing us to be "no-spend" cruisers. How can that be to their advantage?

Totally agree! Thankfully I purchased my items way way back when prices were reasonable back last year for our upcoming Oct. cruise. I have been checking constantly and if anything? Prices are sky high now compared to what I paid. I doubt I will come close to what I already paid. Problem is, I did want to add a few more items, but I don't see the items I want being any bit reasonable now. I think that RCG is just trying to make up for lost revenue and high cruise planner prices is one way they are trying to recoupe lost money.

2 hours ago, Jill said:

I bet my DBP won’t change. It hasn’t budged lower in months. Beach club will still most likely be $160-ish. I got it for $106 months ago and haven’t seen it lower than $160 for several “sales” now. 

That seems to be the standard if you were lucky enough to purchase super super early like me and apparently you as well. At this point, I am hoping for decent prices come Black Friday for my May 2022 Alaska cruise. I have yet to purchase anything for that one as prices have been crazy expensive on almost everything

My cruise planner shows DBP, for our March  7 day Harmony cruise, a full price of $84.  When it’s listed as 20% off ($16.80) I get a price of $66.99 basically correct.  At 30% ($25.20) it’s $57.99 again mathematically correct.  So for me, my cruise and the DBP, Royal math is right.  YMMV

Does anyone actually pay attention to the “ % off” numbers?  I just pay attention to the average cruise planner price for what I’m interested in, and buy when it goes low enough.  So far, that has worked ok for me, and other than casually watching to see if anything drops lower than what I’ve paid, my planning is done.  I was excited to see that South Beach opened up for my AOS sailing, so switched one reservation over to that area, but same price 

48 minutes ago, San Diego Garrett said:

It's Black Friday or bust!

Sorry, but the Black Friday sale hasn't been what it used to be. I would not recommend waiting for any one sale.

The best strategy is to track prices over the long term. Book early, and then cancel/rebook if/when a price drops.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Sorry, but the Black Friday sale hasn't been what it used to be. I would not recommend waiting for any one sale.

The best strategy is to track prices over the long term. Book early, and then cancel/rebook if/when a price drops.

I get that but current DBP prices come to over $1700 for our cruise (4 adults). Not ready to float that big a loan to RC?‍♀️

I recently had to change our sail date on our star class cruise and am waitlisted for star class on Christmas 2021. (Best I could get was a crown loft suite) I have no idea what constitutes a good price when it comes to unlimited dining and beverage packages but I saved $175 with this sale. Unlimited dining was $196 pp and refreshment package was $23 pp/per day. Is this a reasonable price for a Christmas cruise??