Silhouette UK Staycation

Mike.s

Just spent 8 days on the Silhouette, all I can say is WOW, just WOW. All the staff were so happy to see us and all went the extra mile, best service I've ever had on a cruise.

We were fortunate to have a 1-1 staff to customer ratio (about 950 of each), no queues (except at the coffee shop), brilliant shows and fantastic food. Not even the British weather or Covid could spoil things. We did have a positive case in a minor, we were informed and updated the next day that all close contacts had tested negative. Loved the ship, it was our first cruise for many years without our son so we didn't miss the climing wall and family features etc.

Think we'll be trying Celebrity again in the near future, but still can't wait to get back on Anthem next year.

Oh and it confirmed what we all knew, we've missed cruising.

• Mike.s changed the title to Silhouette UK Staycation
On 8/1/2021 at 7:15 AM, Mike.s said:

Just spent 8 days on the Silhouette, all I can say is WOW, just WOW. All the staff were so happy to see us and all went the extra mile, best service I've ever had on a cruise.

We were fortunate to have a 1-1 staff to customer ratio (about 950 of each), no queues (except at the coffee shop), brilliant shows and fantastic food. Not even the British weather or Covid could spoil things. We did have a positive case in a minor, we were informed and updated the next day that all close contacts had tested negative. Loved the ship, it was our first cruise for many years without our son so we didn't miss the climing wall and family features etc.

Think we'll be trying Celebrity again in the near future, but still can't wait to get back on Anthem next year.

Oh and it confirmed what we all knew, we've missed cruising.

Probably the best perk coming out of all these early sailings is the high crew to passenger ratio.  Great service - amplified.... 

Day 3, 7n E. Caribbean, Celebrity Equinox out of PEV: Great cruise so far. Highlights are:

• Equinox, built in 2009, was fully refurbished in June 2019. It shows. Normally clean and well maintained are Celebrity ship's this one looks almost new (we were on Apex 2 w ago so know what new looks like). Carpets and furniture show no normal wear and tear. Outdoor/pools side furniture is new.
  • We like production shows, not everyone does but the one last night, Topper, that's been in production for probably 3-4y running. We've seen it multiple times. This cast is hands down the best. 
  • Food quality, preparation and presentation comports with Celebrity's high standards. We like Murano and Murano lobster, flambe'd at table side is as good as ever. 
  • Service level and friendliness of staff is very high. Of course, that's because of the passenger load - about 40% of capacity or about 1200 guests. Last week they had 1600.
  • Some are wearing masks, not many though. They are not required. 95% vaxed, probably higher. No mixed vaccines for the back end leg of our B2B and that was just announced within the hour. We had Pfizer x2. There are some older kids, not may little ones. I'm assuming the older ones, over 12, are vaxed as that is required.

Since leaving PEV (clear, hot and sunny) weather has been cloudy, some rain, nothing disruptive. Hot and humid. That's the prevailing weather this time of year. There's some brewing low pressure concerns off the coast of Africa right now. 2 of them could be a problem next week and beyond that affecting the Lesser Antilles (S. Caribbean itineraries), possibly on up the Caribbean island chain to the north and west, possibly S. FL.

Itineraries for both legs of this B2B, W. then E. Caribbean, has changed 3 times since we booked the E. Caribbean sailing for August 2020 (L&S'ed to August 2021). Then an 8n itinerary, changed to 7. We booked the W. Caribbean sailing on the front end of the B2B about 3w ago. Itinerary on that sailing has changed twice and again just yesterday, I'll get to that.

I reported earlier that the requirement for antigen testing regardless of vax status was implemented last Friday - 2d before the cruise departure. That policy changed twice with the last change cancelling the antigen testing entirely. Reportedly because of the cluster at the PEV terminal for the Edge sailing on the day before and fuming guests. It's back on for the next leg of our B2B sailing and we were informed of that today by email. Not sure how that will be handled for B2B guests. I'll let you now. The word of the day? Remain flexible and don't get pissy about changes. THEY ARE GOING TO HAPPEN.

Port circumstances are changing daily. We had planned on Tortola and at the time, to get off the ship, you needed a ship's tour. We lost that port and the tour we booked (fully refunded) on one of the itinerary changes just last week (berthing or local concerns, favor the later - BVI have had strict travel restrictions including a vax requirement to enter. The other original ports were Nassau, Coz and Costa Maya. You could get off on your own in Nassau but on our port day, Monday, it was a national Holiday. Everything was closed! We took a small tour of Nassau. 20 others and a very good tour guide and just fine with everything closed. Lots of port construction going on. It's going to e really nice when it's done.

Originally, we were not going to be able to do your own thing in Coz or Costa Maya. Last evening, we learned we can do a self guided tour in Costa Maya. Still not Coz. I think this is a local government thing that Celebrity is having to deal with.  Transmission rates in Quintana Roo state are high and have been that way since mid-May. We booked a tour and will keep it.

So far, just happy to be back in the cruise groove. I can deal with everything else.