Free Covid Testing in S. Florida

We will be traveling to Naples the week before we cruise on Symphony out of Miami in Oct.  Not sure our health insurance will cover non-symptomatic Covid testing for travel purposes.  Does FL offer free rapid Covid testing (non residents)?  Looking for ideas on the most efficient and cost effective way to test in the appropriate window prior to our cruise.  

2 hours ago, Clear Laker said:

We will be traveling to Naples the week before we cruise on Symphony out of Miami in Oct.  Not sure our health insurance will cover non-symptomatic Covid testing for travel purposes.  Does FL offer free rapid Covid testing (non residents)?  Looking for ideas on the most efficient and cost effective way to test in the appropriate window prior to our cruise.  

Use Waglreens.  The rapid antigen testing isn't available at all of them, but if you can just do a PCR with them 3 days before the cruise and you will have your results in time.  You make appointments online and test through the drive-thru.

3 hours ago, Clear Laker said:

Your issue is going to be “free” anything in South Florida especially rapid Covid testing. With the uptick in delta cases on SoFL you would have more luck searching for the most expensive rapid Covid testing to avoid the mass of people in need of this test (especially if this is time sensitive like before a cruise). The headline from our local news this afternoon read “FL breaks 1 day record of Covid cases”……

FF56C6CE-FAB7-416F-BF8F-43011F5CDC69.jpeg

Be careful how you read that list.  I hope things will revert back if the current surge in positives continues to grow. But right now, CVS tests are free of charge if covered by insurance or federal program (no insurance). Most insurance companies do not cover “elective tests “ for travel therefore you will bear the full brunt of the cost. Read the small print

On 8/1/2021 at 2:57 PM, APM said:

But right now, CVS tests are free of charge if covered by insurance or federal program (no insurance). Most insurance companies do not cover “elective tests “ for travel therefore you will bear the full brunt of the cost. Read the small print

We checked our insurance and they will only cover Covid Tests only if we are symptomatic or if we have had an exposure.  Royal's requirement is an "elective test" per our insurance and outside what they are required to cover by law.  No real surprise there.  Anyone have any experience with having Tests due to an exposure?  Is it as simple as stating we had dinner with Jack & Jill and they now have Covid ... please test us ... or do we have to document Jack & Jill's diagnosis?  

We have not been able to find any good pricing information for cash based testing either.  Anyone with personal experience we'd like to her from you?  

Hopefully, like everything else Covid related, the requirements will change tomorrow.

20 minutes ago, Clear Laker said:

We checked our insurance and they will only cover Covid Tests only if we are symptomatic or if we have had an exposure.  Royal's requirement is an "elective test" per our insurance and outside what they are required to cover by law.  No real surprise there.  Anyone have any experience with having Tests due to an exposure?  Is it as simple as stating we had dinner with Jack & Jill and they now have Covid ... please test us ... or do we have to document Jack & Jill's diagnosis?  

We have not been able to find any good pricing information for cash based testing either.  Anyone with personal experience we'd like to her from you?  

Hopefully, like everything else Covid related, the requirements will change tomorrow.

sending a message

Edited by Pattycruise
different info

17 minutes ago, Clear Laker said:

I'd love to know the cost of the testing for elective.....but the Explanation of benefits I get from my insurance company are upwards of $300 for the test when I have symptoms.....I don't want to find out the hard way!

41 minutes ago, Clear Laker said:

I just called my local pharmacy as they offer Covid testing.
Medicare and Medicaid are covered....for the rest of us he said it is $65 for a rapid test.  Here is the website from their page, it has a place you can enter a zip code to find pharmacies that participate.  https://myrx.io  Perhaps give that a try to see if there is a pharmacy near where you will be.  He said they text you your results and when I asked if it is something they can print for me he said yes (I honestly don't know anything about this service and if it would be printable).
So much can change between now and your sailing date.  I hope this helps!