Current Cruise Director & Activities Manager List

2 minutes ago, Debs said:

So pleased Abe is going to Symphony but we are on the transatlantic, wish he was going sooner! We missed him by a week last year and ended up with Bobby boring Brown and same again this year! 

That's the exact reason that I am glad that I did not decide to do the TA. Sorry that you have him on a cruise with so many days at sea as I can't see him stepping up to the plate. 

At least RCCL seemed to have listened to some of the feedback as Abe got SY in the end. I won't say any more about BB though as I came across as a fool on CC.

21 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

One can dream lol....once I saw that FB post, I realized that I probably missed out on Abe once again.

BTW - The CD for your Mariner sailing has been changed to Hugo Arenas. Recently promoted but was AM on larger ships for a while and got great reviews from Empress.

Updating the doc tonight. Does anyone have any additional info to report?

Keeping my eye on a few ships for July 2019 to ensure we avoid one of the duds. Probably my last cruise before I try and get the CS job, so have to make it worthwhile.

Just now, Joe01 said:

Updating the doc tonight. Does anyone have any additional info to report?

Keeping my eye on a few ships for July 2019 to ensure we avoid one of the duds. Probably my last cruise before I try and get the CS job, so have to make it worthwhile.

You probably know this already but Abe Hughes reported on FB that he leaves Symphony for vacation starting January 3, 2019.  No comment on how long or what he will return to after that.  And feedback on Hugo from Mariner...we really liked him.  He was funny, full of energy and very personable.  Quite the character as well.

Just now, Lovetocruise2002 said:

You probably know this already but Abe Hughes reported on FB that he leaves Symphony for vacation starting January 3, 2019.  No comment on how long or what he will return to after that.  And feedback on Hugo from Mariner...we really liked him.  He was funny, full of energy and very personable.  Quite the character as well.

January 5th is when Abe leaves.

Glad to hear you enjoyed Hugo. He seems like a great CD. Very energetic, which is what the role needs. Happy for him that he has moved up the ranks to Mariner after Empress (who would want to work there?). 

Just now, Joe01 said:

January 5th is when Abe leaves.

Glad to hear you enjoyed Hugo. He seems like a great CD. Very energetic, which is what the role needs. Happy for him that he has moved up the ranks to Mariner after Empress (who would want to work there?). 

My bad...I knew it was somewhere in that time frame. ? I read it this morning before I had my tea lol.

Margot van Erck has now left Royal! :38_worried: Daniel Dornas is the new AM on Symphony.

Where are all of the good AM's going? She was fantastic on our Symphony cruise last month. Wish her well with landlife, however that is yet another strong Activities Manager that Royal has lost. She never made any mention of leaving - quite the opposite actually, on the Morning Show, her comments gave me the impression that she wanted the promotion to CD.

27 minutes ago, Joe01 said:

Sad that all of my favorite AM's are leaving. First, Frankie, then Chris and now Margot. I can't remember much about Tino from HM but he also got good reviews and left. Grant Martin also seemed great. 

With that in mind, anyone got a good AM? 

Also - @Lovetocruise2002, who was AM on your Mariner cruise?

It was Assata. I don't know her last name. She was really good too. Also funny and full of energy.

45 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

It was Assata. I don't know her last name. She was really good too. Also funny and full of energy.

Assata Young-Mayers. She was on EN, so was guessing that she would be moving to MA. Glad to hear a positive review.

I just find it a shame that the AM role has such a huge turnover, particularly with the best leaving.

11 hours ago, Joe01 said:

Margot van Erck has now left Royal! :38_worried: Daniel Dornas is the new AM on Symphony.

Where are all of the good AM's going? She was fantastic on our Symphony cruise last month. Wish her well with landlife, however that is yet another strong Activities Manager that Royal has lost. She never made any mention of leaving - quite the opposite actually, on the Morning Show, her comments gave me the impression that she wanted the promotion to CD.

Wahhh??!? NO!

We loved Margot.... Glad we got to experience SY with her on her final weeks.

?Trip was great BTW, haven't had the chance to write anything.

3 minutes ago, CraftyCat05 said:

Wahhh??!? NO!

We loved Margot.... Glad we got to experience SY with her on her final weeks.

?Trip was great BTW, haven't had the chance to write anything.

I also loved her as AM. Very sad to hear that she has left as she was the first Activities Manager I was impressed with in a while. All of my favorites have now left and there are barely any good ones that I know. I'm also very glad that I got the opportunity to have her as AM. 

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the cruise. How did you find Michele as CD? I thought he was pretty good. Nice guy with plenty of energy at the theme nights. I would like to see how he handles a Caribbean itinerary with more events (L&M, Quest) as the multi lingual aspect of this itinerary limits what a CD can do.

Just now, Joe01 said:

I also loved her. Very sad to hear that she has left as she was the first Activities Manager I was impressed with in a while. All of my favorites have now left and there are barely any good ones that I know. I'm also very glad that I got the opportunity to have her as AM. 

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the cruise. How did you find Michele as CD? I liked him. Nice guy with plenty of energy. I would like to see how he handles a Caribbean itinerary with more events as the multi lingual aspects limit what a CD can do.

I thought Michele was a great CD, lots of energy! 

I think he would be great on a Caribbean, and think Love and Marriage with him would be funny, as would Quest. Really wish they were on SY but I guess the multilingual aspect can't allow for that. 

Thought 80s Party was fun with him, and thought he did well with that. I do think Tim Connor did better with the 60s(?) on Allure better though, again, my be appealing to multiple nationalities and languages again.

I'm hoping that I can write soon, but school studies start back up tomorrow, and I don't think anything will be happening anytime soon.

5 minutes ago, CraftyCat05 said:

I'm hoping that I can write soon, but school studies start back up tomorrow, and I don't think anything will be happening anytime soon.

I feel your pain! Looking forward to 2019 when I can (hopefully) swap student life for ship life. 

Glad that you had a positive experience with Michele & Margot. And I do agree that Tim does a great job with theme nights. Wish I could find a way to sail on the 3 night October 25th weekender on Indy with him as CD.

For anyone on CC - Can you do me a favor?

I'm going to use my old CD List format from there and create a revamped AM list for CC. The issue is that I don't have a CC account any more. What I'm needing is for someone to do 3 things:

A) Speak to a moderator there and request the AM thread to be closed.

B) Open a new one.

C) Paste my update into the post. Feel free to take the credit.

It's became clear that the person who updates that will not be returning and with a significant amount of info having been ignored, a change of management is needed.

All you need to do is the above 3 steps. It would be greatly appreciated as I do want to keep things running. Please don't use a link to our doc.

Just now, darkchocolate said:

When will the list of cruiser directors be out for 2019?  Mainly looking at the spring of 2019.

I'm afraid it isn't like Carnival where there is a specific list published. I usually try and update the document as info comes in. 

What ship(s) are you considering? I might be able to find the answer for some quicker than others.

1 minute ago, darkchocolate said:

Oasis of the Seas, April 2019.  Thank you!

As Oasis is heading to Europe, there will likely be a changeover at some point around then, not just of CD's but also of many other crew. 

For OA at the moment, Dan Whitney is the regular CD. He should be due his vacation in the next few weeks. If he returns to Oasis, he will probably be back from November until March and then Michele Scarpato will probably come to do the Europe season starting either before the TA (April 21st) or after the TA (May 5th). 

So I'm afraid that even if Dan returns, I can't predict who will be there in April as that will fall in the gap.

1 hour ago, Joe01 said:

As Oasis is heading to Europe, there will likely be a changeover at some point around then, not just of CD's but also of many other crew. 

For OA at the moment, Dan Whitney is the regular CD. He should be due his vacation in the next few weeks. If he returns to Oasis, he will probably be back from November until March and then Michele Scarpato will probably come to do the Europe season starting either before the TA (April 21st) or after the TA (May 5th). 

So I'm afraid that even if Dan returns, I can't predict who will be there in April as that will fall in the gap.

What is "TA"?  We are sailing April 14th.  So it sounds like that might be the last cruise for the Oasis of the Seas before it heads to Europe?

Yes - it's the Transatlantic cruise. April 14th is her last Caribbean cruise until November 2019. 

This doesn't always happen, but generally, there is usually a changeover of Cruise Director either before or after the Transatlantic crossing (give or take a few weeks either side as well). The European market needs different types of CD's. Usually one with the appropriate language skills, or for the UK market, someone who is British and has a style which will appeal to that demographic, which is why we see Rob McNally & Joff Eaton as the two CD's on the Southampton ships every year and it is always a British CD who would cover the remainder of the season (Cuddy is now on NV and Tim will be on ID after Joff). 

As Oasis will be in Barcelona, they probably will need someone who speaks the languages, so probably Michele is my guess given that Jerome is no longer with Royal and Michele has a lot of Oasis Class experience (including Symphony this year). 

Basically, in a nutshell, it's hard to predict as it falls in the gap between when Dan would leave and when a changeover for the Europe season will occur.

Can't believe that Michele leaves Symphony in 2 days. That ship will not be the same without him. Luckily Abe will be there in 2 months to fill the void. 

Michele did a fantastic job for the inaugural season of a brand new ship in Europe. Wishing him a great vacation and thanks for all he did for SY's success this summer.

Anyone else had a CD recently who you liked? Also, if you have updates, please add to the doc. I still read the thread on CC periodically but it doesn't feel very active these days. 

Just now, monctonguy said:

rank the Tank and.....

Leigh! I had them back in 2012 on Explorer and they were a great team. Leigh was a very different style of CD which was refreshing. I also had Frankie with Jimmy Rhodes in 2014 on Oasis. He seemed to be pretty good as well. I wish they were still with Royal, but maybe I'll give Carnival a try one day.

Just now, JLMoran said:

Just checked and I see that I'll be just missing Dennis Charles for CD on Anthem (departs the day I embark), and instead I'll have Dru Pavlov. Will Mr. Pavlov leave me salivating every time he rings a bell? ?

I have absolutely no idea what you mean by that. Dru seems well liked by many, if that helps.

4 minutes ago, Joe01 said:

I have absolutely no idea what you mean by that.

Was making a silly reference to Ivan Pavlov, who gained notoriety for his experiments with conditioned response training. He mainly worked with dogs, and would train them to salivate whenever he would ring a bell by first associating the bell in their minds with being given food (positive conditioning), so that eventually any time a bell was rung they'd expect food and start salivating in response.

Basically, was asking if Dru would be such a great cruise director that by the end of my cruise I'd be "salivating" in expectation of a good time if I simply heard his name (metaphorical ringing of the bell).