CruiseLifeRick

Current Cruise Director & Activities Manager List

1 minute ago, DunwoodyDad said:

Any reviews on Dru Pavlov?  

We had Abe Hughes last time on the Harmony and thought he was hilarious. We would get the family up early just to watch his show a couple times through. 

I LOVED Abe as well. Him and Joff are the best two that I have had. LNEMS was fantastic!

Dru gets consistently good reviews over on CC. I'm sure you will have a great time. 

I don't have a specific AM that I want to see as CD (the ones I wanted are no longer with Royal), but here are my 5 criteria for what I would like to see in the next CD:
1) Young - not being ageist, but it is refreshing to see a CD in their 20's or 30's. I would love if the next CD was born in 1988 or later.
2) Energetic - CD's need to energize a crowd and be the leader, so someone energetic is crucial.
3) Funny - a CD is useless if they have 0 comedic value. 
4) Visible - Interacting with guests is important. If not, they are in the wrong industry.
5) Innovative - What unique things can one offer a job? If I made CD, I have some new ideas to bring to the table, so should they. New theme night, new jokes, new style of show, new activities etc.

Anything else that you would add to the list? 

I seriously wish that Royal would publish the schedule of CD's for the full year. That way, I would be able to choose an October cruise based on where the best CD's are, so that I can spend some time observing them and training myself for it. I don't know what cruise/itinerary to pick, and in this situation, the CD would be the ultimate deciding factor.

On 4/22/2018 at 1:38 PM, Joe01 said:

1) Young - not being ageist, but it is refreshing to see a CD in their 20's or 30's. I would love if the next CD was born in 1988 or later.

Is this a remotely realistic expectation? Not trying to be snarky, I just gathered from here and other posts that you have to have a lot of tenure and a really good / long track record on many ships before ever being considered for a CD position. To use an analogue from my line of work, a CD sounds like a Managing Director; you don't get to that position without first having been a member of a team, then leading a small team, then running a number of big high-profile projects, and then overseeing multiple teams at once on several different projects while driving the overall goals and results of those teams, and having a firm vision of where that all is supposed to go. CD role sounds similar, given it seems that behind the scenes they really oversee all of the day-to-day entertainment operations of the entire ship, and aren't just the face you see a couple of times a day as a passenger.

Assuming most CDs start off in very junior positions under an existing CD, that sounds like it's at least a 15-year journey, if not 20 years. That would make it hard for anyone to reach CD before their early 40's at the youngest, and that would certainly track with what I've seen in my current and prior jobs, where there isn't a single Managing Director younger than early 40s. Maybe you've already done some of those steps to start moving on that track, possibly via land jobs instead of cruising, but I'm making an assumption that you'll be starting at the bottom of any career path on board that leads to becoming a CD.

3 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Is this a remotely realistic expectation? Not trying to be snarky, I just gathered from here and other posts that you have to have a lot of tenure and a really good / long track record on many ships before ever being considered for a CD position. To use an analogue from my line of work, a CD sounds like a Managing Director; you don't get to that position without first having been a member of a team, then leading a small team, then running a number of big high-profile projects, and then overseeing multiple teams at once on several different projects while driving the overall goals and results of those teams, and having a firm vision of where that all is supposed to go. CD role sounds similar, given it seems that behind the scenes they really oversee all of the day-to-day entertainment operations of the entire ship, and aren't just the face you see a couple of times a day as a passenger.

Assuming most CDs start off in very junior positions under an existing CD, that sounds like it's at least a 15-year journey, if not 20 years. That would make it hard for anyone to reach CD before their early 40's at the youngest, and that would certainly track with what I've seen in my current and prior jobs, where there isn't a single Managing Director younger than early 40s. Maybe you've already done some of those steps to start moving on that track, possibly via land jobs instead of cruising, but I'm making an assumption that you'll be starting at the bottom of any career path on board that leads to becoming a CD.

Abe Hughes got CD after 3.5 years with Royal and was mid-20's at the time. He is one of their very best.

Quite the opposite in fact - I've seen several move up within 8 years of employment with RCI, many in 5. The CD on your Freedom cruise, Drew Devine, joined Royal Caribbean in 2001 and was Cruise Director in 2005.

It's a massive undertaking, and you are right that there is a great deal of management involved, but I have rarely seen a CD that has taken 15 years to get to the position from joining. Can actually think of none.

1 minute ago, Joe01 said:

Abe Hughes got CD after 3.5 years with Royal and was mid-20's at the time. He is one of their very best.

Quite the opposite in fact - I've seen several move up within 8 years of employment with RCI, many in 5. The CD on your Freedom cruise, Drew Devine, joined Royal Caribbean in 2001 and was Cruise Director in 2005.

Ummm... wow! Clearly this is a very different industry than anything I'm used to! Is this because there's high turnover, or it's a "young people's game" kind of career path (especially for those who want to be raising families and actually seeing them more than once every 6-9 months), or other factors?

Certainly, it sounds like these are highly driven and motivated people to be moving up to these senior positions in such short time spans!

To demonstrate how quickly people can make CD, here are the CD's I have sailed with:

Joff Eaton - worked for 2 other companies prior to RCI but was CD relatively young.

John Blair - Not sure, he's been around for decades.

Leigh Xuereb - I think he joined RCI in the early to mid 2000's. We had him in 2012 and he was only doing a fill in but was due to get a permanent promotion soon.

Casey Pelter - Joined RCI in 2000, CD in 2007.

Jimmy Rhodes - Joined RCI in 1999, CD in 2003.

Jerome Sueur - Joined RCI in 2011, CD in 2013.

Bobby Brown - Joined RCI in 1995, CD in 1998.

Abe Hughes - Joined RCI in 2003, CD in 2006.

Michele Scarpato (My CD for SY in July) - Joined RCI in 2012, CD in 2016.

Only 1 CD that I have seen who has taken longer than 8 years to get CD.

3 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Ummm... wow! Clearly this is a very different industry than anything I'm used to! Is this because there's high turnover, or it's a "young people's game" kind of career path (especially for those who want to be raising families and actually seeing them more than once every 6-9 months), or other factors?

Certainly, it sounds like these are highly driven and motivated people to be moving up to these senior positions in such short time spans!

I just think that they are driven and it is something that they want to achieve. Those ones get there within about 5 years.

On the other hand, I have seen Cruise Director's Staff and Activities Managers who have remained in the job for 8-10 years and probably are comfortable where they are and don't really desire to become CD. If the talent and desire is there, they will get there.

48 minutes ago, Joe01 said:

To demonstrate how quickly people can make CD, here are the CD's I have sailed with:

Joff Eaton - worked for 2 other companies prior to RCI but was CD relatively young.

John Blair - Not sure, he's been around for decades.

Leigh Xuereb - I think he joined RCI in the early to mid 2000's. We had him in 2012 and he was only doing a fill in but was due to get a permanent promotion soon.

Casey Pelter - Joined RCI in 2000, CD in 2007.

Jimmy Rhodes - Joined RCI in 1999, CD in 2003.

Jerome Sueur - Joined RCI in 2011, CD in 2013.

Bobby Brown - Joined RCI in 1995, CD in 1998.

Abe Hughes - Joined RCI in 2003, CD in 2006.

Michele Scarpato (My CD for SY in July) - Joined RCI in 2012, CD in 2016.

Only 1 CD that I have seen who has taken longer than 8 years to get CD.

Don't forget Tim Connor.  Another amazing CD and he can't be that old either.

9 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Don't forget Tim Connor.  Another amazing CD and he can't be that old either.

Those are just the ones that I have sailed with. He's early 30's. Joined in 2007 and made CD in 2014, although he left Royal for a bit in that timeframe as well.

Am I the only one who thinks that a CD with an English accent is the best one? Certainly trading in my Scottish one for an English one if I become CD.

2 hours ago, Joe01 said:

Am I the only one who thinks that a CD with an English accent is the best one? Certainly trading in my Scottish one for an English one if I become CD.

The reason I say that is because I love the accent, but also that many English CD's seems to be great - both Graham Seymour and Richard Spacey are British, and when I started looking at CC in 2013, they were Royal's two most popular. I also love Joff Eaton as CD, heard wonderful things about Tim Connor, Chris Hopkins was great in his CD stint, Marc Walker is fantastic.
Ironically, the only Scottish CD that I have seen is Bobby Brown, who I thought was a bit of a dud, hence my evaluation that the English make the best CD's. Abe Hughes is still my favorite though. 

As a born and bred Yank, I have to say I like when I hear a Scots accent even more than when I hear an English one; maybe just because I interact with with folks from the London area more regularly at work? One of my favorite actors is Iain DeCaestecker, from Agents of SHIELD, and I freely admit that part of it just the joy of hearing him speak.

Besides, if it's not the norm, why not embrace it as what makes you distinct?

20 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

As a born and bred Yank, I have to say I like when I hear a Scots accent even more than when I hear an English one; maybe just because I interact with with folks from the London area more regularly at work? One of my favorite actors is Iain DeCaestecker, from Agents of SHIELD, and I freely admit that part of it just the joy of hearing him speak.

Besides, if it's not the norm, why not embrace it as what makes you distinct?

I'm more than being from Glasgow!

I could make some jokes on it, but that is probably it. Plus, having seen 1 Scottish CD in action, I'm not convinced that the Scots are as talented as the English are at Cruise Directing. I don't see what you like in a Scottish accent, because believe me, going deeper into the suburbs of Glasgow, people do not have very nice accents. Edinburgh ones are better, I suppose. 

9 hours ago, Joe01 said:

If you look at the above video, my favourite thing is when Tim Connor comes on at 9:28 as he introduces the show with his fantastic South of England accent. 

6 hours ago, Joe01 said:

lost for words

1 hour ago, Joe01 said:

I'm more than being from Glasgow!

I could make some jokes on it, but that is probably it. Plus, having seen 1 Scottish CD in action, I'm not convinced that the Scots are as talented as the English are at Cruise Directing. I don't see what you like in a Scottish accent, because believe me, going deeper into the suburbs of Glasgow, people do not have very nice accents. Edinburgh ones are better, I suppose. 

So your saying that by changing your accent from scottish to english it will make you a better CD? Honesty whatever your smoking right now you need to stop!!! how can someon's accent make them good or bad? i have never heard so much rubbish in my life!! 

you should be proud of where you come from because scotland has contibuted so much to the world and will continue to do so 

8 minutes ago, Ray said:

lost for words

So your saying that by changing your accent from scottish to english it will make you a better CD? Honesty whatever your smoking right now you need to stop!!! how can someon's accent make them good or bad? i have never heard so much rubbish in my life!! 

you should be proud of where you come from because scotland has contibuted so much to the world and will continue to do so 

Trust me - I wouldn't smoke if my life depended on it! :1_grinning: Relatives smoking have caused my family enough health problems.

I don't think that an accent makes a person good or bad, but I have a complicated relationship with where I come from, and am quite English anyway. Plus, having seen both Scottish and English CD's in action, the English have it nailed, whilst the Scottish failed miserably at it. Just saying.

Good for you if you are proud of being Scottish. Me? Not so much! I wouldn't judge a country based on inventors who lived 150 years ago.

7 minutes ago, Joe01 said:

Good for you if you are proud of being Scottish. Me? Not so much! I wouldn't judge a country based on inventors who lived 150 years ago.

not all where inventors

John Witherspoon

Born in Gifford, East Lothian. Joined the clergy, becoming an ordained minister in 1745. Emigrated to the USA in 1786. Helped to draft the Declaration of Independence (he was also the only clergyman to signed it, but 21 of the 56 signatories were of Scottish descent). 

7 minutes ago, Ray said:

not all where inventors

John Witherspoon

Born in Gifford, East Lothian. Joined the clergy, becoming an ordained minister in 1745. Emigrated to the USA in 1786. Helped to draft the Declaration of Independence (he was also the only clergyman to signed it, but 21 of the 56 signatories were of Scottish descent). 

I am very appreciative of History (studied it for 6 years at school), but I am talking about the country today.

Anyways - the "proud to be Scottish" thing is a bit off-topic. What I meant was that I feel that the English are more capable as CD's than the Scottish. Several of Royal's best are English, whereas I only know of 2 Scottish CD's and one is a total dud. I am partial to an English accent though.

Let's get back on topic.

Just now, toodle68 said:

I can just see a boat load of American's being able to understand a glaswegian accent.. "what did he say",  "wait, what did he say?"  "Is he Australian?",  "No dear, he is Irish"..   :) 

I totally agree. I can't understand them myself half the time!

12 minutes ago, toodle68 said:

I can just see a boat load of American's being able to understand a glaswegian accent.. "what did he say",  "wait, what did he say?"  "Is he Australian?",  "No dear, he is Irish"..   :) 

Having worked in the middle east and travelled far and wide, the accent isnt the problem, it's how it's spoken. replace scots words with the proper english, talk a bit slower and it's not an issue, in my opinion it's about having respect for others, if i go abroad people make the effort to make sure i understand so i do likewise