Current Cruise Director & Activities Manager List

20 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

As a born and bred Yank, I have to say I like when I hear a Scots accent even more than when I hear an English one; maybe just because I interact with with folks from the London area more regularly at work? One of my favorite actors is Iain DeCaestecker, from Agents of SHIELD, and I freely admit that part of it just the joy of hearing him speak.

Besides, if it's not the norm, why not embrace it as what makes you distinct?

I'm more than being from Glasgow!

I could make some jokes on it, but that is probably it. Plus, having seen 1 Scottish CD in action, I'm not convinced that the Scots are as talented as the English are at Cruise Directing. I don't see what you like in a Scottish accent, because believe me, going deeper into the suburbs of Glasgow, people do not have very nice accents. Edinburgh ones are better, I suppose. 

6 hours ago, Joe01 said:

Am I the only one who thinks that a CD with an English accent is the best one? Certainly trading in my Scottish one for an English one if I become CD.

lost for words

1 hour ago, Joe01 said:

I'm more than being from Glasgow!

I could make some jokes on it, but that is probably it. Plus, having seen 1 Scottish CD in action, I'm not convinced that the Scots are as talented as the English are at Cruise Directing. I don't see what you like in a Scottish accent, because believe me, going deeper into the suburbs of Glasgow, people do not have very nice accents. Edinburgh ones are better, I suppose. 

So your saying that by changing your accent from scottish to english it will make you a better CD? Honesty whatever your smoking right now you need to stop!!! how can someon's accent make them good or bad? i have never heard so much rubbish in my life!! 

you should be proud of where you come from because scotland has contibuted so much to the world and will continue to do so 

8 minutes ago, Ray said:

lost for words

So your saying that by changing your accent from scottish to english it will make you a better CD? Honesty whatever your smoking right now you need to stop!!! how can someon's accent make them good or bad? i have never heard so much rubbish in my life!! 

you should be proud of where you come from because scotland has contibuted so much to the world and will continue to do so 

Trust me - I wouldn't smoke if my life depended on it! :1_grinning: Relatives smoking have caused my family enough health problems.

I don't think that an accent makes a person good or bad, but I have a complicated relationship with where I come from, and am quite English anyway. Plus, having seen both Scottish and English CD's in action, the English have it nailed, whilst the Scottish failed miserably at it. Just saying.

Good for you if you are proud of being Scottish. Me? Not so much! I wouldn't judge a country based on inventors who lived 150 years ago.

7 minutes ago, Joe01 said:

Good for you if you are proud of being Scottish. Me? Not so much! I wouldn't judge a country based on inventors who lived 150 years ago.

not all where inventors

John Witherspoon

Born in Gifford, East Lothian. Joined the clergy, becoming an ordained minister in 1745. Emigrated to the USA in 1786. Helped to draft the Declaration of Independence (he was also the only clergyman to signed it, but 21 of the 56 signatories were of Scottish descent). 

7 minutes ago, Ray said:

not all where inventors

John Witherspoon

Born in Gifford, East Lothian. Joined the clergy, becoming an ordained minister in 1745. Emigrated to the USA in 1786. Helped to draft the Declaration of Independence (he was also the only clergyman to signed it, but 21 of the 56 signatories were of Scottish descent). 

I am very appreciative of History (studied it for 6 years at school), but I am talking about the country today.

Anyways - the "proud to be Scottish" thing is a bit off-topic. What I meant was that I feel that the English are more capable as CD's than the Scottish. Several of Royal's best are English, whereas I only know of 2 Scottish CD's and one is a total dud. I am partial to an English accent though.

Let's get back on topic.

Guest toodle68

I can just see a boat load of American's being able to understand a glaswegian accent.. "what did he say",  "wait, what did he say?"  "Is he Australian?",  "No dear, he is Irish"..   :) 

Just now, toodle68 said:

I can just see a boat load of American's being able to understand a glaswegian accent.. "what did he say",  "wait, what did he say?"  "Is he Australian?",  "No dear, he is Irish"..   :) 

I totally agree. I can't understand them myself half the time!

12 minutes ago, toodle68 said:

Having worked in the middle east and travelled far and wide, the accent isnt the problem, it's how it's spoken. replace scots words with the proper english, talk a bit slower and it's not an issue, in my opinion it's about having respect for others, if i go abroad people make the effort to make sure i understand so i do likewise

18 minutes ago, Joe01 said:

I am very appreciative of History (studied it for 6 years at school), but I am talking about the country today.

Anyways - the "proud to be Scottish" thing is a bit off-topic. What I meant was that I feel that the English are more capable as CD's than the Scottish. Several of Royal's best are English, whereas I only know of 2 Scottish CD's and one is a total dud. I am partial to an English accent though.

Let's get back on topic.

english, scottish, welsh irish or albanian, doesnt matter because where someone comes from doesnt make them a better CD, CEO or even a doctor!  it's about putting in the effort, listening to advice and learning, if your good or bad its not because your from outer mongolia its becasue you have or havent put in the effort

18 minutes ago, Ray said:

english, scottish, welsh irish or albanian, doesnt matter because where someone comes from doesnt make them a better CD, CEO or even a doctor!  it's about putting in the effort, listening to advice and learning, if your good or bad its not because your from outer mongolia its becasue you have or havent put in the effort

I totally agree that effort is the way. Just don't expect me to say to an audience full of guests that I originate in Glasgow.

1 hour ago, rjac said:

Perhaps they all graduated from: https://www.thetravelacademy.com/travel-careers/cruise-ship-school

If you're looking to become a CD, might want to start there. ?

@rjac -I had to laugh at that because, according to that site, our cruise directors may not need any experience but our server may! (My saying that with absolutely no disrespect towards servers--just that CDs may not need experience.)

"ACL hires people with college degrees as cruise directors- even if they have no cruise experience! Other positions such as server and youth counselor may require prior experience."

Without trying to cause another argument, it seems that Activities Manager Grant Martin is Scotland's saving grace on the CD and AM front.

I never really will be "proud to be Scottish", but would love if they managed to get a Scottish CD who would be able to represent the country well and redeem the image. Of the 2 current Scottish CD's, one is on Majesty of the Seas (2nd oldest ship in fleet) and the other is Bobby Brown.

If you watched the video, surely you can agree that Darryl should have been promoted? I don't get why Bobby has been kept on for so long yet Darryl and Chris never got CD. Some other CD's who I wouldn't be sad to see leaving.

Time for a little update!

Ship

Cruise Director

Activities Manager

Adventure

Chris Brown

Unknown

Allure

Jimmy Rhodes

Unknown

Anthem

Clo O'Connor

Tanya Yates Tongue

Brilliance

Abe Hughes

Enzo Matijaca

Empress

Hugo Arenas

Mickey Martin

Enchantment

Bobby Broughton        

Assata Young-Mayers

Explorer

Graham Seymour

Margot van Erck

Freedom

Drew Devine

Saini Gupta

Grandeur 

Mike Szwajkowski

Cecy del Razo

Harmony

Dru Pavlov

Jerry Kubli

Independence

Tim Connor

Elizabeth Hackett

Jewel

Andrea Olivieri

Daniel Klophaus

Liberty

Mitch Merucci

Unknown

Mariner

Ricky Matthews

Renato Arana

Majesty

Susan Adams

Mauricio Diaz

Navigator

Simona Ferraiuolo

Mark Rous

Oasis

Jeff Arpin

Tresha Robb

Ovation

Mike Hunnerup

Angelle Rutten van Hemert

Quantum

Paul Rutter

Unknown

Radiance

Ken Jones

Alex Green

Rhapsody

Elvis Pinto

Eric Lopez

Serenade

Symphony

Carly Boileau

Michele Scarpato

Alison Hasler

Katy McCullagh

Vision

Steve Davis

Talita Leoni

Voyager

Carlos Torres

Troy Zhang

EDIT: Please ask if you would like to know who will be onboard on a specific date. I may have the answer.

Hoping Symphony of the Seas will offer a better managed Sailaway Party. The poster of the video was unimpressed, as was I.

Remember that the running of events like this come down to the Cruise Director & Activities Manager. Even if you say that they don't matter, they really do if you plan to go near any activities.

On 5/1/2018 at 9:38 AM, Joe01 said:

Time for a little update!

Ship

Cruise Director

Activities Manager

Adventure

Chris Brown

Unknown

Allure

Jimmy Rhodes

Unknown

Anthem

Clo O'Connor

Tanya Yates Tongue

Brilliance

Abe Hughes

Enzo Matijaca

Empress

Hugo Arenas

Mickey Martin

Enchantment

Bobby Broughton        

Assata Young-Mayers

Explorer

Graham Seymour

Margot van Erck

Freedom

Drew Devine

Saini Gupta

Grandeur 

Mike Szwajkowski

Cecy del Razo

Harmony

Dru Pavlov

Jerry Kubli

Independence

Tim Connor

Elizabeth Hackett

Jewel

Andrea Olivieri

Daniel Klophaus

Liberty

Mitch Merucci

Unknown

Mariner

Ricky Matthews

Renato Arana

Majesty

Susan Adams

Mauricio Diaz

Navigator

Simona Ferraiuolo

Mark Rous

Oasis

Jeff Arpin

Tresha Robb

Ovation

Mike Hunnerup

Quantum

Paul Rutter

Unknown

Radiance

Ken Jones

Alex Green

Rhapsody

Elvis Pinto

Eric Lopez

Serenade

Symphony

Carly Boileau

Michele Scarpato

Alison Hasler

Katy McCullagh

Vision

Steve Davis

Talita Leoni

Voyager

Carlos Torres

Troy Zhang

EDIT: Please ask if you would like to know who will be onboard on a specific date. I may have the answer.

Thanks for the update! Do you know who will be on Liberty in September this year?

2 minutes ago, Cristina_WNOP said:

Thanks for the update! Do you know who will be on Liberty in September this year?

I'm not sure yet. Was meant to be John Blair but he left earlier than expected and isn't returning to LB. You are lucky though as I am not a John fan whatsoever.

42 minutes ago, Skid said:

Hi Joe. Do you (or anyone) have any info/reviews on Chris Brown? We will be on Adventure soon. Thanks!

This seems to be Chris' first CD contract in the Caribbean itineraries, after over 3 years in the Asia & Australia market, so not heard much. I have heard that he is good though. Was on Quantum prior and closed down the Legend, so is probably respected by Royal as a good CD.

I hate tomato sauce but it doesn't stop me eating pizza! 

In other words who a CD is wouldn't worry me as it's only a small part of the experience and it shouldn't have any bearing on booking a cruise.

One thing that is important with CD's is motivating their staff. On Harmony last summer with Abe, the team was great, and then they went downhill after his replacement boarded, who shall remain nameless. Several of the Staff didn't seem happy after the new CD had taken over either.

Good CD = Good Entertainment Staff

With a good Cruise Director, that embarrassing Sailaway Party a few posts up wouldn't have happened.

53 minutes ago, Joe01 said:

One thing that is important with CD's is motivating their staff. On Harmony last summer with Abe, the team was great, and then they went downhill after his replacement boarded, who shall remain nameless. Several of the Staff didn't seem happy after the new CD had taken over either.

Good CD = Good Entertainment Staff

With a good Cruise Director, that embarrassing Sailaway Party a few posts up wouldn't have happened.

Not what you said on CC when asked about above cruise last July, your words were that BB was good in reply to a question about it. 

Whatever your reason for now disliking BB you need to drop it as it's all you discuss and it's tiring. 

7 hours ago, Ray said:

Not what you said on CC when asked about above cruise last July, your words were that BB was good in reply to a question about it. 

Whatever your reason for now disliking BB you need to drop it as it's all you discuss and it's tiring. 

That was until I watched a re-play of L&M on our cruise. I tend to be more positive during and soon after the cruise. It's not all I discuss anyway, you just seem to enjoy criticizing my opinions. Actually, FYI, I do a lot for my thread on CC, and try to transfer some of that onto here. If you don't like it, make up your own list! I'm trying to reign back my opinions, but in all honesty, I recommend that you quit visiting this thread as we seem unable to agree on anything.

10 hours ago, Joe01 said:

That was until I watched a re-play of L&M on our cruise. I tend to be more positive during and soon after the cruise.

The fact you walked off the ship having enjoyed yourself is ALL that should matter, however because you then months after watched a video on youtube you change your mind  and now you didnt enjoy it, simply because of a video. To me that doesnt make any sense! your constant critisism aimed at BB and telling people how bad he is may put people off, which is wrong, considering you yourself admitted that at the time you actually enjoyed BB and the cruise.

It's not all I discuss anyway, you just seem to enjoy criticizing my opinions.

No it's not you do metion other things but you somehow always manage to bring up BB by name or hinting at him saying you would get rid of him. 

Actually, FYI, I do a lot for my thread on CC, and try to transfer some of that onto here.

I dont think the majority of people here want to be like CC, which is probably why very few actually reply to your posts, somethings such as continous critisism is best left over there on CC! 

If you don't like it, make up your own list!

I couldnt care who CD or AM is when i cruise

I'm trying to reign back my opinions, but in all honesty, I recommend that you quit visiting this thread as we seem unable to agree on anything. 

So it's OK for you to continually critise but no one is allowed to point out that your attitude is wrong? You better hope no one from RC recruitment reads these threads as they will see someone who probably wouldnt fit in as a TEAM player on a ship, all other members would have to watch their backs given the fact you have admitted sending emails to RC about how bad BB is.  believe me as someone who recruits, everything including social media is checked to ensure the candidate is suitable. 

You're blowing things a tad out of proportion there. I've promised to tone things down anyway, not for anyone else but so that I don't let my (admittedly very strong) opinions get in the way of my dream job. Let's just be civil with each other, as I'm a bit bored of arguing myself. 

On May 1, 2018 at 3:38 PM, Joe01 said:

Update for mid-May:

Ship

Cruise Director

Activities Manager

Adventure

Chris Brown

Marvin Wilson

Allure

Jimmy Rhodes

Anthem

Dennis Charles

Tanya Yates Tongue

Brilliance

Abe Hughes

Enzo Matijaca

Empress

Hugo Arenas

Mickey Martin

Enchantment

Bobby Broughton        

Assata Young-Mayers

Explorer

Graham Seymour

Margot van Erck

Freedom

Drew Devine

Saini Gupta

Grandeur 

Mike Szwajkowski

Cecy del Razo

Harmony

Dru Pavlov

Jerry Kubli

Independence

Tim Connor

Elizabeth Hackett

Jewel

Andrea Olivieri

Daniel Klophaus

Liberty

Mitch Merucci

Amy Tripp

Mariner

Ricky Matthews

Renato Arana

Majesty

Susan Adams

Mauricio Diaz

Navigator

Rob McNally

Daniel Edward

Oasis

Dan Whitney

Tresha Robb

Ovation

Mike Hunnerup

Unknown

Quantum

Paul Rutter

Unknown

Radiance

Ken Jones

Alex Green

Rhapsody

Elvis Pinto

Eric Lopez

Serenade

Symphony

Jamie Fentiman

Michele Scarpato

Alison Hasler

Katy McCullagh

Vision

Steve Davis

Talita Leoni

Voyager

Carlos Torres

Troy Zhang

• 4 weeks later...

Update for mid-June:

Ship

Cruise Director

Activities Manager

Adventure

Chris Brown

Marvin Wilson

Allure

Jimmy Rhodes

Anthem

Dennis Charles

Tanya Yates Tongue

Brilliance

Abe Hughes

Enzo Matijaca

Empress

Patricio Honores

Mickey Martin

Enchantment

Bobby Broughton        

Assata Young-Mayers

Explorer

Topi Ylönen

Aysy Sadrislamova

Freedom

Drew Devine

Alexander Schmidt

Grandeur 

Bob Leininger

Cecy del Razo

Harmony

Dru Pavlov

Jerry Kubli

Independence

Joff Eaton

Mark Rous

Jewel

Andrea Olivieri

Unknown

Liberty

Jeff Arpin

Alex Green

Mariner

Ricky Matthews

Renato Arana

Majesty

Susan Adams

Mauricio Diaz

Navigator

Rob McNally

Daniel Edward

Oasis

Dan Whitney

Tresha Robb

Ovation

Mike Hunnerup

Unknown

Quantum

Paul Rutter

Unknown

Radiance

Cuddy Cudworth

Unknown

Rhapsody

Elvis Pinto

Eric Lopez

Serenade

Symphony

Jamie Fentiman

Michele Scarpato

Caroline Peters

Margot van Erck

Vision

Steve Davis

Talita Leoni

Voyager

Michelle Oliveira

Troy Zhang

Please ask if you would like to know who will be onboard on a specific date. I may have the answer.