First cruise tips

newmoonmama

Hey everyone!  I booked my first cruise a quite few months ago (9/18/16 Freedom of the Seas) I am so excited!

I am going with my husband for our 4th wedding anniversary. He's never been on a cruise either. So Ive really been researching what to bring, and how to make it easier. So glad I am now, because Ive already learned so many things I wouldn't have thought myself. 

Anyone have any tips or anything I should absolutely know before my first cruise?

Thank you! 

Welcome!!  I will be ending my vacation on Freedom the same day you will be beginning yours!!  We took our first Royal Caribbean cruise 2 years ago on Freedom and loved it!!   Can't wait to go again!

Matt's podcasts, this site and Royal Caribbean's site will all have lots of great information for you. If you have any questions that come up just ask here.  Everyone here is really helpful! 

Have fun!!  I'll be wishing I was you as I step off the ship early on the morning of the 18th!!

Angi

Welcome to cruising. Things to know:   RELAX,  ENJOY.   What to bring: Sunscreen, warm weather clothes, 2 bathing suits, 2 nice outfits. and an appetite for mainly relaxation.  Leave all your cares and worries at home.  Enjoy your cruise and hopefully many more to follow.  It is a wonderful addiction to have.  It is done by folks of all ages. You will not be dissapointed.   Frredom is a nice ship as all of them are.     HAPPY ANNIVERSAY

Definitely plan to arrive the day before if at all possible, especially if flying in.  Also, you'll need to complete online check-in and printing your "Set Sail" pass will expedite boarding.

You'll need proof of citizenship to board the ship, so either make sure you have and bring your passport (recommended) or an original copy of your birth certificate (not a photo copy) and a government issued ID (only if you're a U.S. citizen, though).

Most important, have fun.

Pack less than you think you'll need - at the end of my first cruises I took photos of all the items I *didn't* use, so I wouldn't pack that much stuff again in the future.  Because after your first cruise, you realize you will be taking many more! :)

If you are flying out of DTW (I'm a fellow Michigander) use the Park & Fly locations to save $$ on parking.  We live near Lansing, and for a Saturday cruise generally drive down after work on Thursday, spend the night at a hotel with Park & Fly, and then fly down first thing on Friday.

If you don't have a passport you can get an Enhanced Drivers License that will serve the same purpose for cruises (but bring the birth certificate anyway).

Pack your bathing suit and hit the pool on embarkation day.  The pool fills up on sea days.

Book a specialty dining restaurant for your honeymoon day to make it special!

As other people have stated, pack light, I always take too much, I don't need 6 pairs of shoes. Always pack a carry on with medication, a change of clothes, a swimsuit (until the cabin is ready) and something to read.

I have never flown in a day early. Everyone advises that you do but I have never had a problem. I know some day it will happen, but I just don't want the expense of a hotel added on to the expense of the cruise and flight.

Candie

1st as mentioned before, arrive the night before your cruise.

2nd don't over think or over research your cruise. For me, the wonderment of our first cruise would have been ruined if I would have looked at dinner menus, cruise compasses, etc. before the cruise. Other than planning our shore excursions we had no idea what lied ahead and it was a magical experience!

How much time do we have. :)

There are limited outlets in the cabin

Bring some zip lock bags for wet things and other stuff.

You may want a highlighter for the Cruise Compass, but we never have. 

The walls ad doors are metallic so you can bring magnetic hooks if you like.

The empty luggage can usually be stored under the bed.

Make sure your credit card company knows you will be gone

Make a copy of your passport, embarkation docs, etc for you carry on and luggage.

As others have said, plan on an extra day if you are flying. 

Enjoy your first cruise! It is exciting. :)

2nd don't over think or over research your cruise. For me, the wonderment of our first cruise would have been ruined if I would have looked at dinner menus, cruise compasses, etc. before the cruise. Other than planning our shore excursions we had no idea what lied ahead and it was a magical experience!

I totally agree with this.  I do think that some of the "magic" is lost if you look at some of the YouTube videos of, for example, the Promenade on Voyager and greater class ships.  It was so much better to walk on Oasis and be blown away by the sheer scope of the area... 

I would recommend you book any excursions you want to take on line, before you leave for the ship. This also goes for any special dinners and entertainment. I learned this the hard way on my first cruise. Ended up standing in line only to find the excursions I wanted were sold out. Drink packages you can do on board as well as spa treatments.

Enjoy your trip!

Anyone have any tips or anything I should absolutely know before my first cruise?

Thank you! 

As with anything in life...you only should be concerned about things YOU have control over.  That doesn't include the weather, airline departures, late sailings fog, etal.   Relax and enjoy....accept everything as an adventure....not a life altering disappointment.  You will have fun.   Bring your luggage and leave your baggage at home!    And for luggage...pack well and then take half out and leave it home...you won't need it.  

Like some have suggested it is good to get there a day early if possible.  Proper ID is very important for checking in at the port.   Having a passport would be the best but a birth certificate with raised stamps etc etc will do fine.  If your name changed with marriage and different from the birth certificate have your marriage certificate with you as a back up,  remember no photo copies.

A few things that I do to combat the noro virus that sometimes spreads through cruise ships is to use the hand sanitizers (they are everywhere on the ship)  I never pass one without using it.  Also I use my knuckles to touch the deck numbers on the elevators.  You dont need to be paranoid about this but it could make a difference if you follow a few health safety rules.

Another important issue is time management.  Dont be late getting on the ship to start the cruise or at the different ports.  They will not wait for you if your late coming back!  The ship will wait if your RC sponsored excursion is late.  That is the only time I can think they will wait

Most of all relax and have a good time ....I know you will......Mike