Magnitude 8.2 earthquake off coast in Alaska

• Baked Alaska changed the title to Magnitude 8.2 earthquake off coast in Alaska

As I understand it…Typically tsunamis out at sea travel nearly undetected as the bulk of the waves are underwater. It isn’t until the sea depth lessens that a visual wave will appear…and usually not a breaking wave. I have seen videos of ships just riding over such waves. Even smaller vessels. So I think ships at sea are safer than being near a shoreline. I guess if there is a warning where the ship happens to be docked…then the safest thing would be to move out to sea. But I hope in any event, no one is affected by a tsunami and if one does come ashore…it’s near an uninhabited area.

34 minutes ago, cruisellama said:

Thought the tsunami warning was cancelled.

Yes, it was cancelled!  I felt the earthquake where I live (Kenai Peninsula).  I heard the tsunami warnings going off for a couple of hours before it was cancelled.  The earthquake felt a little different that others in that there were no hard jolts, but just a long 2 minutes of moving and swaying.  My hanging lights and chandelier just swayed back and forth, and there was enough movement that my grandfather clock stopped!  That was rare!  People along the coast do take this seriously, and I watched a steady stream of cars evacuating low lying areas.  The news reported that some of the coast guard ships based in Kodiak left port and headed out.  While out on the water, a tsunami is usually barely detectable, and only materializes once it gets close to shore in shallow water.

5 hours ago, MarvinS said:

Yes, it was cancelled!  I felt the earthquake where I live (Kenai Peninsula).  I heard the tsunami warnings going off for a couple of hours before it was cancelled.  The earthquake felt a little different that others in that there were no hard jolts, but just a long 2 minutes of moving and swaying.  My hanging lights and chandelier just swayed back and forth, and there was enough movement that my grandfather clock stopped!  That was rare!  People along the coast do take this seriously, and I watched a steady stream of cars evacuating low lying areas.  The news reported that some of the coast guard ships based in Kodiak left port and headed out.  While out on the water, a tsunami is usually barely detectable, and only materializes once it gets close to shore in shallow water.

I'm glad that you are okay!

7 hours ago, MarvinS said:

Wow 2 minutes of shaking sounds nuts... glad you are okay...

23 hours ago, BeachGal said:

Wow!  I've been thru some good shakers in So Cal, but 2 minutes?  Just wow!  Glad you all are OK!!

I just checked on a map...I'm right at 402 miles from the epicenter!  That's a pretty significant quake!  It was definitely long and rolling, and wondering when it was going to stop...  Fortunately, no damage in my area and all is well!