Freedom of the Seas headed to Maine in 2018

Matt

The most obvious thing that comes to mind is Freedom of the Seas could be coming to Cape Liberty, but the question would then be whether she'd be replacing Anthem of the Seas or augmenting her (embarkation on Saturday versus Sunday). And, if she's replacing Anthem, where would Anthem be heading? Florida, perhaps?

September 24th and October 15th says "Foreign Arrival" --- I wonder what that means.....

Anthem is still on the schedule through October ..... hmmmm ....

Transatlantic or repositioning was my first thought, but that wouldn't explain both. Thus, I suspect Marc is correct. If they going to Canada first, then US Customs will need to be cleared upon visiting Maine. Thus, officials will board the ship and clear passengers in one of the lounges before they're allowed to tender ashore.

I was excited for half a moment there...I though RCI was going to have a ship based out of Maine!.....I was ready to book 4 or 5 cruises immediately with the money I would save not having to fly to cruise each time..lol.

That would be pretty cool, but if they were going to place a ship in NE, my guess is that it would be Boston, but still not too terribly far.

• 2 weeks later...

Speculation was that Q class was designed for more of the northern/Alaska cruising back when it first launched. Havent tried one yet so I cant comment from experience but it seemed to have a lot of "inside" activity options which was the driver of the speculation IIRC. Not sure about the size issues but I thought Q was similar in size to V class ?

Speculation was that Q class was designed for more of the northern/Alaska cruising back when it first launched. Havent tried one yet so I cant comment from experience but it seemed to have a lot of "inside" activity options which was the driver of the speculation IIRC. Not sure about the size issues but I thought Q was similar in size to V class ?

Slightly larger than the Freedom class but about 10,000 GRT.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Apart from port infrastructure, the other big logistics issue with Alaska is that anything bigger than a Radiance class ship won't fit through the Panama Canal, which means they'd have to go around South America if they're coming from the Caribbean, or do a Transpacific if they're coming from Australia or Asia. Furthermore, these longer repositioning and Alaska cruises tend to cater to an older demographic that cares less about big ship amenities like flow-riders and slides. All of that is to say I suspect the economics won't add up for larger ships on Alaska any time in the near future.

But don't get me wrong, I'd personally love to see more options on the West Coast.

CORRECTION: I didn't realize that the Third Set of Locks Project was finally completed and opened a few months ago, which means all but Oasis class ships can make it through Panama now (Oasis class ships can also fit through the new locks but not under Bridge of the Americas).

Apart from port infrastructure, the other big logistics issue with Alaska is that anything bigger than a Radiance class ship won't fit through the Panama Canal, which means they'd have to go around South America if they're coming from the Caribbean, or do a Transpacific if they're coming from Australia or Asia. Furthermore, these longer repositioning and Alaska cruises tend to cater to an older demographic that cares less about big ship amenities like flow-riders and slides. All of that is to say I suspect the economics won't add up for larger ships on Alaska any time in the near future.

But don't get me wrong, I'd personally love to see more options on the West Coast.

The demographics for Alaska have been gradually edging downward especially with the number of increased sailings from Seattle. I also wonder if the fact that NCL is building a new ship specifically for Alaska will change how cruise lines decide on which ships to send to Alaska.