Cruise cancellation - Covid close contact

Hey - just wanted to let you guys know.  Had a cruise scheduled on Freedom of the Seas on July 23-26 leaving out of Miami.

My husband got a call from an acquaintance letting him know that he was COVID positive and he was in close contact with my husband for an extended period pf time.  He told my husband on Thurs 22nd July.  So my husband (he is vaccinated) ended up not going on the cruise.  

We called Royal Caribbean to let them know and they said they would give a refumd but only if my husband could get a letter from the local health department stating he was in close contact.

In the past - when a person is tested positive for COVID - in Florida the health department calls the person and tells them to make sure to talk to anyone whom they think they were in prolonged contact with.  They do not take names.

Royal Caribbean told me they cannot do anything for me because they need the health department to give me a piece of paper that states my husband was in close contact.  I told Royal that that documentation does not exist.  And to get in touch with the health department is near impossible.  They refused - even though i told them to check the website of FL Health dept.  They stuck to their guns - wanting documentation that did not exist.  

So please beware - it really sucks that we did the responsible thing by not going.  But we are also crucified by Royal Caribbean.  Now i understand why some people would rather ignore and hope they arent affected and continue to travel.  

Just a heads up....

Edited by luannecwh
Wrong date typed in

Oh, that makes more sense.  I would call back and ask for the resolutions dept. (someone may chime in here with a direct number). Certainly do not take the first answer from a CSR.  The phone reps are notoriously uninformed.

I assume your husband did not try to get a rapid results test? 

They said it did not matter if he got tested. They want the local health department to send a letter stating that he was in close contact.  This does not exist as the Health Department here in South Florida does not take names of people who were in close contact.  Maybe they did at the beginning of the pandemic.  Not anymore.... I will try your suggestion if i get a direct number.

First welcome to the Forum

Based on CDC guidance you would not have a leg to stand on, I sure that is what Royal is basing there decision on.  You might not like it and think you were doing the proper thing, but that is not the guidance.      Bold, size & color is my Highlight

For Anyone Who Has Been Around a Person with COVID-19

Anyone who has had close contact with someone with COVID-19 should stay home for 14 days after their last exposure to that person.

However, anyone who has had close contact with someone with COVID-19 and who meets the following criteria does NOT need to stay home.

Or:

• Someone who has COVID-19 illness within the previous 3 months and
  • Has recovered and
  • Remains without COVID-19 symptoms (for example, cough, shortness of breath)

Sometimes choosing to do the personally responsible thing may not be the easiest thing. But, then again, choice is subjective. CDC guidelines listed above seem to be based on the available science and specifically addresses your scenario. I respect your choice but the consequences are pretty clearly spelled out. Royal needs at least 48hrs to submit the passenger manifest to the CBP. I believe that is the main reason for the 48hr cancellation window under the Cruise with Confidence program. It seems they are willing to work with you but need some sort of documentation to justify the refund or, at the least, issue an FCC. I agree with the other comments…keep trying by going up the chain and hope for a better outcome. Good luck and good health!

Hi sorry that this happened and hopefully Royal will do something for you.  Two questions:  Did your hubby ever test positive and which vaccine did he receive?  And was the other person vaccinated and if so what vaccine? 

I wish the CDC would provide us with honest numbers of those who tested positive after being vaccinated and how many vaccinated were capable of transmitting the virus.  I doubt we'll ever see that kind of honesty from them.

1 hour ago, DandA said:

Hi sorry that this happened and hopefully Royal will do something for you.  Two questions:  Did your hubby ever test positive and which vaccine did he receive?  And was the other person vaccinated and if so what vaccine? 

I wish the CDC would provide us with honest numbers of those who tested positive after being vaccinated and how many vaccinated were capable of transmitting the virus.  I doubt we'll ever see that kind of honesty from them.

There's no reason to imply dishonesty. We don't test everybody every day; there's just no possible way to know what you think you want to know without doing something like that, which simply would be logistically impossible. Numbers are published regarding breakthrough infections that require hospitalization. And by guidelines, too, vaccinated people exposed to possible close contact with someone who tests positive only need to do anything different if they themselves show symptoms. Otherwise, no quarantining, no testing needed.