Visa Gift Card

Be careful of using a gift card for cruise item purchases on-line. I tried to use a gift card that I bought due to the rewards they offered to pay for some excursions on a cruise. I made the card for the amount of the excursions and was declined when I went to use it. I called Royal and when I asked why, it was explained that there is a 110% temporary hold placed on the card and if there is not enough to cover that then it gets declined. This does not occur at the grocery store but did on Royal. I booked what I could and then used the rest at the store.

I have used those prepaid cards to buy an Amazon Gift Card (yes you can do this!) and use the Amazon credit with whatever I may need. With Amazon credit, you can use partial amounts.

A few cruise-related items:

https://www.amazon.com/SAFEGO-Portable-Travel-Lockbox-Combination/dp/B07DJZ95FS

https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Powerful-Neodymium-Corrosion-Protection/dp/B075J9WNSY

Lanyards

Vaccine card holder (if applicable)

USB power hub (I like Ankers)

Is it a Visa GIFT card or a Visa prepaid "debit" card?  There is a big difference.  When we have received these pre-paid "debit" cards, we use them at the grocery store to buy a gift card for something else that we would normally use (restaurants, groceries, etc...).  However, if it is truly a gift card, you generally cannot use them to purchase other gift cards.

Also you need to be careful about refunds to the card, say you booked something on the cruise, then something happened and Royal refunded something to the card, it may or may not work depending on the card.  

I think your best bet is put it in your wallet and use it for things like lunch, grocery trips, etc... until the value is gone.  we try to use ours in "even increments" like $10 or $25 so it is easy to track, but we really dislike getting Visa gift cards.  We appreciate the gesture, but they really are a pain to manage for us adults. ?