CATS replacing Hairspray on Oasis of the Seas

Not a fan. There is so much conflicting info on all these changes, drydocks, new builds. It is driving me crazy! Royal Caribbean needs to dedicate a group of people responsible for releasing accurate information. On CC a mod posted that Oasis would have both Cats and Hairspray, as Royal hasn't removed it from their list of shows yet. Also read something about Cats being the AquaTheater show because of the amount of acrobatic elements in the show. 

There seems to be a divided crowd, either some love Cats and the change, others are disappointed about not being able to see Hairspray. Personally, going with the family friendly theme, not sure how Cats fits into that. Not that is goes against a family friendly theme, but kids would get bored easily as it is not an upbeat type production. The costumes are strange and so is the plot. I personally thought Chicago was a weird pick for Allure, again, not exactly family friendly.

Shrek The Musical, Annie, All Shook Up, Grease, Wicked, Jersey Boys, Cinderella, Motown The Musical, are all great shows. If Royal Caribbean wants to stay relevant and on have cutting edge entertainment, they must contract with Broadway musicals that are currently being performed or just have just closed, not a production that is over 30 years old.

I know these productions cost millions to reproduce for the ship, including royalties. And I know Royal Caribbean has to be conscious about that, especially now that they are putting Broadway productions on all of their new ships. They are probably spending more on entertainment than ever before. I just hope they are making the right decision with Cats. Everyone is a critic and I've combed through a lot of reviews over the years and haven't seen nearly as many raving reviews of Chicago as I have of Hairspray.

Royal Caribbean prides themselves on an exciting, incredible vacation experience. Lets not blow it by putting people to sleep during the multi million dollar Broadway production of Cats. Hopefully I will be wrong and it will be totally exceptional show!  ;)

I really liked Hairspray and would be slightly saddened to see it replaced by something else, but that said, I think it's more important that Royal Caribbean do what's necessary to keep the entertainment fresh for repeat cruisers.

That said, I really didn't like Chicago, and now I'm hopeful to see it replaced by another Broadway production when Allure of the Seas goes into drydock.

There seems to be a divided crowd, either some love Cats and the change, others are disappointed about not being able to see Hairspray. Personally, going with the family friendly theme, not sure how Cats fits into that. Not that is goes against a family friendly theme, but kids would get bored easily as it is not an upbeat type production. The costumes are strange and so is the plot. I personally thought Chicago was a weird pick for Allure, again, not exactly family friendly.

My wife is a Broadway junkie but not a Cats fan (she really doesn't like Andrew Lloyd Weber musicals) but that's personal taste. Obviously Cats' run on Broadway indicates it was a pretty popular show so I'm not too worried about its mass appeal factor.

If you don't love Cats, at least take solace in Royal Caribbean actively changing things up and not being accused of not offering enough variety.  Considering we, the very frequent cruiser, are always looking for what's next, it's good to have changes and something different to experience.

Royal Caribbean has made it known in any and every forum/Q&A session on a ship that I have been part of that they replace their production shows every 5-6 years.  Therefore, they are on schedule with changing up the shows on Oasis in 2014 and should be doing the same on Allure sometime next year. I have no problem with the choice of Cats and in fact preferred Chicago over Hairspray.  I also have enjoyed Saturday Night Fever on Liberty and am looking forward to Mamma Mia on Quantum. 

• 9 months later...