Drink Package add-on idea

So I was thinking about drink packages and my desire to want to try more than 1 of the new cocktails on board and I realized...Royal should have a drink package add-on.

Right now, the only drink package that includes alcohol is the deluxe which can be quite pricey/useless if you are only going to be sipping one or two drinks a day. (i don't drink coffee and usually get my OJ in either windjammer or room service)

An add-on would be a flat rate for a certain number of a specific drink type good for the length of the cruise. Perhaps one for straight wine, straight cocktails/mocktails, shots, beer/hard cider etc etc.  Obviously the more expensive the drink, the more expensive the add-on. And add-ons could only be purchased after purchase of any non-deluxe drink package. They could go up to an extra $100 total i guess (really don't know the price of good booze lol).

So an example using myself.

I'd buy the soda drink package for the standard per person/ per day rate. Then get a cocktail add on for, let's say, up to 7 drinks at a flat rate that's let's say...$60. Then those 7 drink vouchers get added onto my sea pass account and I just swipe my pass at the bar when I order. Once I run out of vouchers, or if I opt to get wine or shots or something not in the add-on category i picked, I would be charged the normal per drink rate.

What do you guys think? And more importantly...how can I get this idea into Royal's heads?

I think this would be too much for Royal to track and we all know how people will "game the system" to try and get more than they should.  We are not drinkers, but would be open to "try" things from time to time.  We do enjoy the fresh squeezed juice, bottled sparkling water, mock tails, and my coffee so we get the Refreshment package.  At the right price, you really only need about 5 drinks a day to break even on it, so it's not hard to do .  Recently we were able to get the Refreshment package at $23 per person per day, and the Deluxe was $63.  So basically, if we want a "hard drink" each day, we still come out ahead and if you use the $13 as the price, then it's only $91 for a 7N cruise.  Of course, this is for one person and doesn't include the tip.

I think that Royal does a good job with thier options, but at some point there could be too many options that may or may not be used and that takes time and money to maintain and manage.  

What you have described is essentially a drink card. I think they should offer those drink cards day 3 on every ship starting with 5n itineraries.....maybe day 2 on sailings less than that. I don't think these cards would decrease people buying the UBP at all. I rarely drink, maybe 1 or 2 cocktails and not every day. So this would be a boon for me, meaning they might get more money out of me.

4 hours ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

An add-on would be a flat rate for a certain number of a specific drink type good for the length of the cruise. Perhaps one for straight wine, straight cocktails/mocktails, shots, beer/hard cider etc etc.  Obviously the more expensive the drink, the more expensive the add-on. And add-ons could only be purchased after purchase of any non-deluxe drink package. They could go up to an extra $100 total i guess (really don't know the price of good booze lol).

So an example using myself.

I'd buy the soda drink package for the standard per person/ per day rate. Then get a cocktail add on for, let's say, up to 7 drinks at a flat rate that's let's say...$60. Then those 7 drink vouchers get added onto my sea pass account and I just swipe my pass at the bar when I order. Once I run out of vouchers, or if I opt to get wine or shots or something not in the add-on category i picked, I would be charged the normal per drink rate.

What do you guys think? And more importantly...how can I get this idea into Royal's heads?

They already have drink punch cards that are sold on the ship.  It's 10 drinks for $X (I don't remember what I last paid since it has been awhile.)  The cards usually come out on day 3 and represent some savings when purchasing cocktails or certain wines.  (Let's say the standard drink is $13 then the card works out to around $11.  Something like that.)  The cards are technically good for any drink but if you use them for $8 beers you would be costing yourself money!  The cards are also shareable unlike the UBP.  Cards are not always available.  Some people think they only come out when the cruise isn't selling as much alcohol as they'd like.

Royal used to have a wine package but it was discontinued a few years ago.

4 hours ago, Reigert2008 said:

I think this would be too much for Royal to track and we all know how people will "game the system" to try and get more than they should.  We are not drinkers, but would be open to "try" things from time to time.  We do enjoy the fresh squeezed juice, bottled sparkling water, mock tails, and my coffee so we get the Refreshment package.  At the right price, you really only need about 5 drinks a day to break even on it, so it's not hard to do .  Recently we were able to get the Refreshment package at $23 per person per day, and the Deluxe was $63.  So basically, if we want a "hard drink" each day, we still come out ahead and if you use the $13 as the price, then it's only $91 for a 7N cruise.  Of course, this is for one person and doesn't include the tip.

I think that Royal does a good job with thier options, but at some point there could be too many options that may or may not be used and that takes time and money to maintain and manage.  

I do agree that there still exists the worry about people gaming the system but I think that will always be a problem.

I know, for us, we only ever get the soda package which is under $10/day. If we were to go up to the UDP it's a $50/day difference...that's suddenly SO many more drinks and neither of us really care to do more than a couple the whole 7+ days.

1 hour ago, Ampurp85 said:

What you have described is essentially a drink card. I think they should offer those drink cards day 3 on every ship starting with 5n itineraries.....maybe day 2 on sailings less than that. I don't think these cards would decrease people buying the UBP at all. I rarely drink, maybe 1 or 2 cocktails and not every day. So this would be a boon for me, meaning they might get more money out of me.

21 minutes ago, Atlantix2000 said:

They already have drink punch cards that are sold on the ship.  It's 10 drinks for $X (I don't remember what I last paid since it has been awhile.)  The cards usually come out on day 3 and represent some savings when purchasing cocktails or certain wines.  (Let's say the standard drink is $13 then the card works out to around $11.  Something like that.)  The cards are technically good for any drink but if you use them for $8 beers you would be costing yourself money!  The cards are also shareable unlike the UBP.  Cards are not always available.  Some people think they only come out when the cruise isn't selling as much alcohol as they'd like.

Royal used to have a wine package but it was discontinued a few years ago.

I had no idea there were drink cards! Maybe I was never on a cruise that did them or maybe I just wasn't at the right place to hear about them but yeah! I would totally grab one of those if they came out on our cruise!

It's a great idea, but I think it would cannibalize drink package sales more than bring in people who wouldnt buy drink packages.

In addition, Royal used to have more drink packages but simplified the options because many guests (and crew) were confused as to what it included and did not, which lead to frustrations.

It’s a great idea, however I can’t see them doing this for the same reason they will most likely never have a one day labadee/coco cay only drink package, when you limit the amount of drinks and essentially are allowing a discounted price per drink, the majority of people will use all 10 drinks on a 10 drink card or drink as much as possible in one day if it’s a one day only deal. But, if they have the unlimited amount for the typical 7 day cruise the odds are in Royals favor that there will be days that you do not reach the breaking point of drinks, therefore making them a profit. 

@Tyro I would disagree, people who drink like you describe are already patrons of the UBP. Most people who would be interested in these types of card are people who drink 1 or 2 drinks a day or only drink on certain days. I think the drink card could make them a profit, as people like myself who don't purchase the UBP, would buy those types of cards. I would use them on the ship and pay a la carte at the private destinations. RCG is making a nice profit from the UBP as you could get probably 12-16 drinks from one bottle of vodka/alcohol and most people aren't drinking that much each day. Plus fatigue often sets in. Not to mention the fact that if 1 adult gets it, they all have to, or at least a refreshment package.

Ahh the talk of the old days with 5 different beverage packages, 6 if you included the case(s) of water.

Select was always the one with the most confusion with a lower price limit on glasses of wine.

unlimited-drink-packages_0.jpg

Not shown to further the confusion was the Royal Refreshment (aka soda package).

Hard to believe this was pricing 2012 (When these packages started. Think is was 2012.) to 2014 and it included the gratuity in the price.

I drink 1 or 2 acholic drinks per day, and my husband does not drink.  We get 5 drinks each, per day,  loaded on our SeaPass card and that is more than enough for us.  We will use them for  juice, coke, or non-acholic slushies. I like we can use these all day long and not just from 5-8pm.  I am a happy camper.

7 hours ago, Linda R said:

I drink 1 or 2 acholic drinks per day, and my husband does not drink.  We get 5 drinks each, per day,  loaded on our SeaPass card and that is more than enough for us.  We will use them for  juice, coke, or non-acholic slushies. I like we can use these all day long and not just from 5-8pm.  I am a happy camper.

those diamond perks man...*so close* just 2 more cruises

Under the old ways it was common for a bartender to spend a lot of time explaining why this or that package didn't cover this or that drink.  When bartenders have to spend more time explaining all the nuances and extras charges it slows the bar down for everyone.  

One package means it's fast and predictable.  I am confident the change for diamond drinks to mimic the deluxe drink package was chosen with this in mind.  Keep it simple and easy to implement.   Worst case is... "Sorry, you used all your diamond drinks, would like to pay for this one?"

On 7/22/2021 at 6:28 PM, Ampurp85 said:

@Tyro I would disagree, people who drink like you describe are already patrons of the UBP. Most people who would be interested in these types of card are people who drink 1 or 2 drinks a day or only drink on certain days. I think the drink card could make them a profit, as people like myself who don't purchase the UBP, would buy those types of cards. I would use them on the ship and pay a la carte at the private destinations. RCG is making a nice profit from the UBP as you could get probably 12-16 drinks from one bottle of vodka/alcohol and most people aren't drinking that much each day. Plus fatigue often sets in. Not to mention the fact that if 1 adult gets it, they all have to, or at least a refreshment package.

Yes - fatigue is a nice way of saying "blotto".  I can't drink enough to hit the break even at the full price (unless playing taste and toss).  We were able to get the $18 PBP (the "mistake") on our last cruise and able to make that one comfortably work.