Your Favourite Cocktail Reciepe On A Cruise

Hello community, us poor folks from down under, Sydney Australia need some cheering up as we are in lockdown. My wife and I need a reminder of the good all days when we are sitting around the pool watching the world sail past.

We have a liquor cabinet which needs some love and so we are reaching out for inspiration of your favourite cocktail recipe for us budding mixologist to conjure up. Sorry Matt, Kraken and coke will not cut it. We need exotic drinks to transport us back to a happier place. 

Our shaker and jigger is waiting. 

1. You should try to make some of the cocktails in the new drink menu that was posted last week. Some of those sound really good!

Maybe you can even boost the "octane" in those new "Zero Proof" cocktails! ?

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2021/07/13/look-royal-caribbeans-new-fleetwide-drink-menu

2. On another note, here is what was included in a cocktail made by my wife's favorite Rhapsody OTS bartender, Adrian at Schooner Bar. (She told him she likes sweet cocktails)

Absolut Vanilla, Chambord liqueur, Fresh lemon juice, Simple Syrup, Cranberry juice, Strawbery puree.

3. Another favorite of hers is "Kiss on the Lips" https://www.averiecooks.com/kiss-lips-cocktail/

(I'm more of a simple guy trying to watch my sugar intake. Just give me Buffalo Trace and Diet Coke and I'll be pleased)

My go-to on boarding day is the Mango Melon 'Rita in Boleros. Per the drink menu, it's "Avion tequila, melon liqueur, mango juice and margarita mix". Sorry that I can't give exact measurements on these, but I imagine it's the standard amount of tequila, somewhere between 1/2 - 1 oz each of the liqueur and juice, and then mix to fill the glass. Pour all into your cocktail shaker with ice, shake very well, and pour into an unsalted glass. (I definitely remember there being no salt on the rim of this one, since it's sweeter)

My other favorite is a dark and stormy, the classic drink of Bermuda.

• To an ice-filled glass pour in 6 oz of ginger beer (traditionally Gosling's; make very sure it's not ginger ale, which has a very different flavor!)
  • Follow with 2 oz dark rum (traditionally Gosling's Black Seal, but any good dark spiced rum will work)
  • You can leave the rum floating on top of the ginger beer for that threatening sky look, or stir with a cocktail spoon to mix

I made up a live blog for one of our canceled cruises. We had a different drink of the day at home everyday that we were supposed to be on the ship. It was only supposed to be a 5 night cruise, so there aren't a ton, but I listed the recipes I used. Mai Tai, Lava Flow, and Habanero Grapefruit Daiquiri are in there, but I don't remember the others I made.

I had a totally twisted lemonade on one. Flavored raspberry vodka, light rum, lemonade and a splash of curacao. As you can imagine it is bit sweet. Also I made up my own drink in quarantine. Instead of Frose' I made a Frosseco.....prosseco, st.Germaine and peach liqueur. Used a margarita maker with ice and lived my best life.?

Kraken Pina Colada

• 1 part Kraken® Original Rum
  • Ice cubes
  • 1 part coconut cream
  • ½ part coconut milk
  • ½ part pineapple chunks
  •  
  • DIRECTIONS
Add Kraken®, coconut cream, coconut milk, pineapple chunks and ice cubes in a blender on high until smooth. Pour into glass and garnish with a pineapple wedge.

THEN ADD AN EXTRA SHOT OF KRAKEN TO THE TOP. ? 

My go to lately has been the classic 2-1-1 margarita.

• Two parts tequila (been using a reposado)
  • One part fresh lime juice (I'll cheat and use the bottled stuff. Key thing is using stuff that isn't from a concentrate or have added sugar.)
  • One part orange liquor (Cointreau/Grand Marnier)
  • Plus sweetener of choice if desired

Really wish they had better access to fresh lime juice on the ship. Too sweet for my liking using sour mix and Rose's lime juice isn't the same. Slow bar plus a great bartender will muddle/press/squeeze the lime wedges they have for fresh juice. 

11 hours ago, CGTLH said:

Really wish they had better access to fresh lime juice on the ship. Too sweet for my liking using sour mix and Rose's lime juice isn't the same. Slow bar plus a great bartender will muddle/press/squeeze the lime wedges they have for fresh juice. 

I have become somewhat of a amateur mixologist since we started cruising in 2015 with Royal.  That said took a mixologist class on Navigator in 2015 at the one bar on the ship that used only fresh squeezed lime and citrus.  What a difference and I cannot longer use the mix stuff.

I believe most ships have fresh lime at the one bar by the service desk with the oversized couch in a frame that people like to take pictures in (Boleros maybe?) and ships that have the rising tide bar also have fresh squeezed lime I believe. 

12 hours ago, barbeyg said:

Kraken Pina Colada

• 1 part Kraken® Original Rum
  • Ice cubes
  • 1 part coconut cream
  • ½ part coconut milk
  • ½ part pineapple chunks
  •  
  • DIRECTIONS
Add Kraken®, coconut cream, coconut milk, pineapple chunks and ice cubes in a blender on high until smooth. Pour into glass and garnish with a pineapple wedge.

THEN ADD AN EXTRA SHOT OF KRAKEN TO THE TOP. ? 

What, only one extra shot of Kraken? LOL

23 hours ago, JLMoran said:

My go-to on boarding day is the Mango Melon 'Rita in Boleros. Per the drink menu, it's "Avion tequila, melon liqueur, mango juice and margarita mix". Sorry that I can't give exact measurements on these, but I imagine it's the standard amount of tequila, somewhere between 1/2 - 1 oz each of the liqueur and juice, and then mix to fill the glass. Pour all into your cocktail shaker with ice, shake very well, and pour into an unsalted glass. (I definitely remember there being no salt on the rim of this one, since it's sweeter)

My other favorite is a dark and stormy, the classic drink of Bermuda.

• To an ice-filled glass pour in 6 oz of ginger beer (traditionally Gosling's; make very sure it's not ginger ale, which has a very different flavor!)
  • Follow with 2 oz dark rum (traditionally Gosling's Black Seal, but any good dark spiced rum will work)
  • You can leave the rum floating on top of the ginger beer for that threatening sky look, or stir with a cocktail spoon to mix

I love a dark and stormy. In Australia we have a company called Bundaberg, who are famous for their rum, and make an awesome ginger beer. JLMoran you have talked me into one or two or three of those for tonight, cheers

Fun post.  Lol...I know exactly what you mean.  DH and I started having a drink with dinner every Sunday evening due to missing cruising (our inspiration).  He sometimes makes a Dark and Stormy, already mentioned.  Lately we've mostly been having Mike's Hard Lemonade type drink (flavored).  We tried a slushy version of it.  It was quite good, but TBH, not quite the same as sitting out on a pool deck with it or in the theatre.  He once attempted a mojito, which is one of my favorites (discovered on cruises), but it didn't quite work right. 

DH and I got the drink package for our next 2 potential cruises (one of them should be a go).  We don't typically get it when we have our kids with us, but too much time missed not cruising so we went for it.