Shore excursions only for vaccinated travellers - JS - Limassol

Just yesterday got the eMail from RCL, that not-vaccinated travellers are only allowed on royal's own planned (and pricey) shore excursions are allowed on our upcoming 7day cruise from Limassol, Cyprus ?

Although we are vaccinated, our kids aren't (less than 12y old) - so we have to stay on board with them or book the organised tours onboard (with a 50% discount, though).

See the original eMail here:

Dear Guest,

We've been preparing for your 7 August 2021 sailing onboard Jewel of the Seas and wanted to remind you of some important information regarding your Shore Excursion requirements.

In abundance of caution, when visiting the ports on our itinerary, parties that include unvaccinated guests, including parents traveling with unvaccinated children, are required to participate in shore excursions offered by local tour operators approved by Royal Caribbean. These tours meet our health and safety requirements for unvaccinated guests. Entirely vaccinated traveling parties may visit the port freely. Vaccinated parents who wish to debark the ship on their own can reach out to our Adventure Ocean staff once onboard to make arrangements for those port days. All guests are subject to restrictions and requirements as defined by local authorities in the ports we visit. Additional details will be provided onboard.

The decision was made to protect you and the communities we visit. To help offset this change, on this sailing, we are offering a 50% discount on select tours purchased onboard. This offer and discount are only available to reservations with unvaccinated guests. Once onboard, please visit the Shore Excursions Desk on Deck 4 and our amazing team will help find the perfect excursion for you and your family. Vaccinated adults in the same reservation as unvaccinated guests will also be extended the 50% discount for tour purchases to assist in planning time in each destination.

I do find this an unpleasant development - what do you think?

Caro

It's part of the moving target that is cruising in 2021. ?

When I was in Barbados, everyone, including vaccinated passengers, were under that restriction.

I'm convinced that RCI doesn't want it this way.  It's the cruise ports trying to protect their populations. Hopefully, it will ease soon.

1 hour ago, Pooch said:

I believe this has been the case on mix vaccinated cruises from the US from day one.  And was it not also the case in Europe?  I remember a family being disembarked for leaving a ship sponsored excursion in Italy.

No, it wasn't in Europe and for RCL. We were happy to be "free" on shore excursions - in contrast to earlier cruises from TUI eg in february, where the conditions as steverk mentioned, where valid.

I'm truly unhappy for our kids. Ship's excursions are sooooooo cheap.

6 hours ago, Carotthat said:

Just yesterday got the eMail from RCL, that not-vaccinated travellers are only allowed on royal's own planned (and pricey) shore excursions are allowed on our upcoming 7day cruise from Limassol, Cyprus ?

Although we are vaccinated, our kids aren't (less than 12y old) - so we have to stay on board with them or book the organised tours onboard (with a 50% discount, though).

See the original eMail here:

I do find this an unpleasant development - what do you think?

Caro

Just completed a Celebrity sailing on Apex from Athens that stopped in Limmasol. We saw Jewel at the same ports Apex called on. First, this area of the world is absolutely the best. It's hot but dry and the waters surrounding the Greek Isles are beautiful. Nary a cloud in the sky.  The ports are great. Pretty sure you'll have the same - Rhodes, Santorini, Crete, Mykonos. 

A point on required participation on ship shore excursions. Excuse me if you already know this but it relates. First, visitors over 12 have to be vaxed or show a negative molecular (PCR) test completed within 72h of your visit to enter. Make sure you have all your documents in print form or stored on your phone. You won't have internet in the terminal immigration area to download these docs. Hopefully you've completed your PLF (one per family) and you have the email notification you completed it on your phone. If you have the email confirming your registration or the actual approval that's good enough. On my Android phone the email I received from the Greek government has a link to the approval form and that is stored in the email. So, you can access that without internet. Greek immigration authorities are very strict and check your vax card, PCR test results (if required) and PLF several times as you enter.  The entry process in Athens was very well organized and quick  - I assume you'll be entering in Athens then going on to Cyprus. If not, I can't comment on Cyprus immigration.

Since the start of our cruising in 2001, I've not booked a single ship's tour. Because of COVID, and not because I was required to, I booked ships excursions in Limmasol, Cyprus and Rhodes we just walked around the others. The tours we had (and I expect RCL is sourcing their tours from the same vendors that Celebrity is) were outstanding and reasonably priced. I highly recommend that you take advantage of these at the 50% discount. You do not want to miss any of the Greek Island ports. Rhodes is particularly interesting from a historical perspective. I think your kids are a good age to appreciate the history. Take them and use the ship board excursions ..... or you can leave them at the pool aboard ship.? 

Thanks JeffB for the hints, as we are going aboard in Limassol. Cyprus authorities are maybe eazzziierr... ?

After your recommendations, I'll browse again through the excursions inventory - but as you might see, visiting an island with 500 other people in the same pattern might be a hussle....

These the same restrictions as my cruise to Alaska next month. We have 2 kids too young to be vaccinated so we must also purchase Royal's excursions. It upsets me because the CDC does not require this, it is only a recommendation. We were not given any sort of discount for purchasing excursions. Traveling with a party of 7 has resulted in huge costs for booking excursions just to take our children off the ship and see the beauty of Alaska. This is one cruise itinerary that really is about the destination instead of enjoying the ship.  

• 4 weeks later...

I was SOOOOO bummed about this announcement as I am vaccinated but my younger kids are not.  It seems like the unvaccinated can go on an excursion with the cruise line (which tends to be much higher) but they cannot on one of their choosing.  I had already pre-booked several excursions :(.  I chose this cruise to give my kids the cultural experience which could take the form of safely meandering in some city areas with our masks, etc.  As a single-mom, I now have to consider the cost and expense of excursions to offboard them.  I completely understand the safety aspect and don't want to minimize that...just hoping for other workable solutions as well.

The restrictions on our Anthem cruise (out of Southampton) were even stricter..nobody was allowed to disembark (regardless of vaccination status) unless you were on an RCI-organised tour. RCI really don't want their carefully screened and tested passengers mixing with the "great unwashed" ? whilst in port, thus increasing the chances of bringing infections back onboard.