BAM! Canada US Border Re-opening begins Aug 9th ???

Unfortunately this still seems to center around air travel. No mention of land border crossings, or reciprocal action by the US for Canadians coming to the US. I know Canadians have been able to fly into the US for some time, however, as someone who lives a 20 minute drive from the border I’d like to see more action (or info) on reopening the land crossings.

30 minutes ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

Unfortunately this still seems to center around air travel

To be eligible for entry, fully vaccinated U.S. citizens and permanent residents must be asymptomatic and present a negative coronavirus molecular test taken within 72 hours of flight departure or arrival at a land crossing.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/07/19/canada-us-border-open/

2 hours ago, Jax said:

Here is the official announcement. Hopefully we will hear a reciprocal announcement from US shortly. 
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/news/2021/07/government-of-canada-announces-easing-of-border-measures-for-fully-vaccinated-travellers.html

Disappointing the USA didn't immediately announce the same thing.

23 minutes ago, Jax said:

What a pile of BS! The US was putting pressure on Canada to open their borders to US citizens and then doesn’t open their own border?

And again, there is nothing stopping Canadians from flying into the US. Makes absolutely no sense.

3 hours ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

What a pile of BS! The US was putting pressure on Canada to open their borders to US citizens and then doesn’t open their own border?

And again, there is nothing stopping Canadians from flying into the US. Makes absolutely no sense.

+1 and I will leave it at that. I am beyond sad today. I truly thought I was going to be able to get on board August 16th ?

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

+1 and I will leave it at that. I am beyond sad today. I truly thought I was going to be able to get on board August 16th ?

@Lovetocruise2002you are still able to fly to the US if it works for your situation. Not sure where you are located and where you are sailing from. I know Don Terris from Don’s family vacations is travelling from Ottawa to Florida to board the Edge on Saturday.

22 minutes ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

@Lovetocruise2002you are still able to fly to the US if it works for your situation. Not sure where you are located and where you are sailing from. I know Don Terris from Don’s family vacations is travelling from Ottawa to Florida to board the Edge on Saturday.

Correct Don is traveling to Miami, according to our Beloved Canadian government Travel advisory.   USA is still on the list "Avoid non-essential travel"

52 minutes ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

It makes zero sense for me to fly out of Canada. So no go ?

8 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I'm booked to sail out a Seattle in September. I just booked last week when it looked like the borders were opening up. Same for me it makes no sense to fly from Vancouver to Seattle. If the US doesn't open the border I'll be taking a refund and heading to an all inclusive in Mexico instead.

No sailing till 2022 now for me..its just turning into one delay and frustration after another.......

It's all absurd..if they were "following the science", Canadians should be allowed into the US but not the other way around.....but even if they did, I am not vactionign with a mask on so no bueno!

And with Cayman Islands not opening till at least  2022 to cruise ships, we have decided to cancel our November cruise on Brilliance......so it will be 2.5 years before we hope to cruise since the last one...holding out hope for our cruise booked in April 2022 out of San Juan.

15 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Check out Flair airlines @Lovetocruise2002....we have direct flights to Florida starting in October for $99 each way.....if this stays like this, could be a game changer for us once we can fly and vacation with no masks!

3 hours ago, monctonguy said:

Check out Flair airlines

I made the mistake of flying Flair and will never fly with them again. Be sure to do your research on them. Their low prices may be tempting but they up charge you for everything and their service and reliability gets a failing grade. 

The US has decided not to reciprocate.  Meaning although fully vaccinated American's will be able to travel to Canada for nonessential travel starting August 9th, the US just announced an extension of the border closure until August 21 this covers all nonessential travel for Canadians.

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/is-canada-open-for-travel/

Here we have another country opening its borders to fully vaccinate Americans but the US government refusing to reciprocate.  This was an issue German Chancellor Angela Merkel brought up to President Biden in her most recent visit to the White House.  Most of Europe has opened its borders to fully vaccinated Americans but the White House and the CDC refuse to reciprocate and open our borders to fully vaccinated Europeans and now Canadians. 

When does this madness end, there is no reason fully vaccinated Europeans and Canadians should continue to be barred from traveling to the United States.  I don't understand what the US government is trying to prove by prevent fully vaccinated people from entering this country.

I cant imagine its worse than Air Canada....I'll take my chances as I could book 3 flights for the price of one with Air Canada....hopefully one of the 3 flights will make it for me....lol

From Eastern Canada its insane to fly..so we always have to drive to Maine and then get a deal with a low cost carrier there...I am willing to give Flair a chance to see just how bad or good they are..I have looked at their add-ons...seems reasonable compared to the rest of the industry out here so to save almost $1000 per trip for us I will take a chance!

14 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

I cant imagine its worse than Air Canada....I'll take my chances as I could book 3 flights for the price of one with Air Canada....hopefully one of the 3 flights will make it for me....lol

From Eastern Canada its insane to fly..so we always have to drive to Maine and then get a deal with a low cost carrier there...I am willing to give Flair a chance to see just how bad or good they are..I have looked at their add-ons...seems reasonable compared to the rest of the industry out here so to save almost $1000 per trip for us I will take a chance!

I hope everything works out for you! You definitely can’t beat that price! My bit of advice is to be sure to review their check in policies. We had to arrive 2.5-3 hours early for a domestic flight from Vancouver to Calgary in order to check in our luggage. ?‍♀️ The check in counter closed earlier than traditional airlines to allow the staff to work the gate counter. It was a gong show. And due to the age of their planes headsets were not permitted for most of the short flight. My son and I were relieved when we touched down safely in YYC. LOL I am hoping that they may have addressed this with their recent expansion with a newer fleet and more airport staff.  To be fair, the low cost carrier model is not for me. I wish flights weren’t so expensive in Canada. ? 

5 hours ago, monctonguy said:

No sailing till 2022 now for me..its just turning into one delay and frustration after another.......

It's all absurd..if they were "following the science", Canadians should be allowed into the US but not the other way around.....but even if they did, I am not vactionign with a mask on so no bueno!

And with Cayman Islands not opening till at least  2022 to cruise ships, we have decided to cancel our November cruise on Brilliance......so it will be 2.5 years before we hope to cruise since the last one...holding out hope for our cruise booked in April 2022 out of San Juan.

Simply go to Mexico and then walk/drive across the boarder.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

@Lovetocruise2002 Is the issue with flying from Canada purely price (more expensive to fly from Canada than drive and fly from USA)? I'm just trying to understand the issue better, no judgements!

Pretend there is an international border between you and MCO.  MCO is in another country, a circle is around MCO that places it in a foreign country. 

In this make believe Florida, Tampa, Jacksonville, Fort Lauderdale and Miami don't have airports.  For airports in your home country the closest airport is Atlanta, or Key West.

MCO is so close and much cheaper to fly from, but to get to MCO you have to cross an international border that's closed right now.  So Atlanta is it.  

Landing fees are crazy at Canadian airports so airfare is more costly relative to US airports and for her the closest Canadian airport is a long drive away.  

2 hours ago, Matt said:

@Lovetocruise2002 Is the issue with flying from Canada purely price (more expensive to fly from Canada than drive and fly from USA)? I'm just trying to understand the issue better, no judgements!

51 minutes ago, twangster said:

Pretend there is an international border between you and MCO.  MCO is in another country, a circle is around MCO that places it in a foreign country. 

In this make believe Florida, Tampa, Jacksonville, Fort Lauderdale and Miami don't have airports.  For airports in your home country the closest airport is Atlanta, or Key West.

MCO is so close and much cheaper to fly from, but to get to MCO you have to cross an international border that's closed right now.  So Atlanta is it.  

Landing fees are crazy at Canadian airports so airfare is more costly relative to US airports and for her the closest Canadian airport is a long drive away.  

Yup. What @twangsterexplained. For me, I would have to drive about 4x the distance and 4x the cost to fly out of Canada. Even a suite snob like me cannot justify that ?

Quick question for my Canadian friends or anybody else that knows the answer. And I apologize in advance if this has already been asked and answered.

To enter Canada now, if I read correctly, you need proof of vaccination AND a negative Covid test?

Thanks

Happy Cruising!

16 minutes ago, FManke said:

Quick question for my Canadian friends or anybody else that knows the answer. And I apologize in advance if this has already been asked and answered.

To enter Canada now, if I read correctly, you need proof of vaccination AND a negative Covid test?

Thanks

Happy Cruising!

For us Canadians to come back we need vaccination proof and a PCR no more then 3 days before. No more PCR at airport but will be a random lottery ( a negative lottery) for some that may have to. I think a qc issue.

In aug when they let US citizens come in I believe the rules are the same.

US announced that they will NOT be re-opening the border to international travel anytime soon due to Delta...just announced this on Friday...so at this point it would be now be at least Sept or October at the earliest.....not booking any trips or cruises for the rest of 2021..

Now, lets see if 2022 is a write off....I wouldn't count on anything at this point the way things are going in the USA.. ?

On 7/22/2021 at 1:26 PM, monctonguy said:

Where are you from in Eastern Canada?  I assume it is the Maritimes if you are driving to Maine to fly?  I am in Saint John, NB.

Edit:  Never mind.  Apparently I am a bit slow on the uptake today. I just noticed your handle. I think I figured it out. ?

Not only are flights from Canada way more expensive than flying from the US, but an issue that @monctonguyand I have is that we live in towns with pretty small airports.  There are 0 direct flights to the USA from Saint John where I live.  I don't think Moncton has any either and if they do, they are minimal. If I fly out of Saint John, I have to route through Montreal or Toronto with potential additional stops in Halifax & US airports before I can get to where I am going.  It is usually less expensive and takes less time to drive to Bangor or Portland ME and grab a direct flight to the US destination I want to get to.

Despite the fact that we cannot drive across the border right now, I did manage to get lucky and was able to use Aeroplan points to book flights for my next couple of cruises directly out of Saint John.  I still have to connect, but I should be arriving in Florida around noon.  My next few cruises are B2B2Bs so it will be nice to fly from home and not have to pay for parking for 3 weeks ?  Next up is Odyssey starting 8/22.  I cannot wait to get back on the water.

Here is a pic to show you just how small my airport is.

Screen Shot 2021-08-01 at 8.22.42 PM.png