Independence or Brilliance?

RCL4Life

I guess the biggest consideration here is do you want to have the Promenade, Ice Rink, Flow Rider, and some of the larger ship features that Independence offers, or the more intimate smaller-of-the-big-ships-and-get-to-see-the-water/Centrum experience on Brilliance?

I would lean towards Brilliance, but I also really enjoy some of the smaller ships, and Brilliance has everything I like about bigger ships and still has a smaller ship feel. Independence is a Freedom class ship, will feel much larger.

It's a win-win either way you go.

All [other] things being equal, I would go with the Indy b/c I like the bigger ships.

Are there children involved ?  Older cruisers with limited mobility ?  I'm assuming the itineraries are comparable since you referred to them as "similar".

The Brilliance (Radiance Class) is much narrower than the Freedom class ships (Indy).  The hallways are noticeably narrow and those who need scooters or wheelchairs often have a harder time with the narrower hallways.  On the other hand, since the Brilliance is a smaller ship, the walking distance would be less from end-to-end, although I'm not sure it's that much less.

The Indy has the Promenade, as Kayla mentioned which offers a nice central area for strolling, shopping and dining and is generally easier to get around on (IMO). For those who enjoy watching the sea, the Radiance class ships have more glass/windows and more sea viewing.

It really just depends on what you like to do !

Brilliance is nice as I have been on her twice, but Indy has way more to do and see!

Tampa is a great port, quick and easy to board....FLL is a little more busy and hectic.

Guess it also depend on the itinerary.

Something else I have noticed on my 2 cruises in Brilliance is there seems to be often large groups booked which can affect the vibe on a smaller ship.

But based on ship alone...I give the edge to Indy based on my experiences!

Going to vote with the masses here, generally speaking Indy is the superior ship in pretty much every way.

IIRC Brilliance has the onboard pool tables which is very cool if you enjoy playing a round of pool, but apart from that cant think of anything she offers that Indy does not.

Enjoyed our time on her sister Jewel and would not say there is any reason not to cruise on her but assuming money is roughly equal would take Indy out for another run :)

We have never been on Independence but have sailed on Freedom once, and on Brilliance twice (with two more booked this Thanksgiving and the next). Everything everyone else has said is true about both ships, it really comes down to your personal preference. It seemed when we sailed Freedom, it was a long walk to get everywhere, an annoyance if your spouse has difficulty walking as mine does. The size of the Brilliance seems "just right" for us and there is more than enough to keep you entertained, especially on a short four day cruise. Also, Tampa is a joy to cruise from and sailing under the Sunshine Skyway on your sailaway is a fitting beginning to any trip. As somebody else already said, you won't be wrong with either choice! Happy cruising! 

First and foremost, enjoy your cruise.  Cindy and I had our first cruise this past January on BOTS out of Tampa.  We're only 35 miles from the port and it was a quick 4 day "first/test" cruise for us.  WE LOVED HER!  People call her a small ship, for a first cruise, we found her to be massive, and there was plenty to keep us busy.  We reviewed the MDR in one of these forums.  Food and service all over the ship were way above our expectations.  BOTS was built to allow guests to see the ocean from very much of the inside of the ship.  We will try larger ships, but look forward to more 'quick' trips on Brilliance.  Have Fun!!!!