Things to buy at the $1 store for your cruise

I watched Matt's "8 Not Stupidest purchases I made to bring on a cruise" and it got me thinking about what to buy at the dollar store for a cruise.

For those of you that aren't familiar, there are several chain stores in the USA where everything in the store is $1.  Most of these stores carry a lot of junk and a few worthwhile items.

So, without further ado, what things have you purchased at a dollar store that you won't cruise without?

Here are a few of mine from Dollar Tree:

20210718_140152[1].jpg

20210718_140229[1].jpg

20210718_140419[1].jpg

12 hours ago, teddy said:

We bought a pack of battery powered tea lights to put in the bathroom at night 

I'll give these an upvote! Absolutely essential so that you don't blind yourself in the overnight hours.

Those bathroom lights are about 60 Watts during the day and, somehow, about 300 Watts between the hours of 11pm and 7am!

Also, Magnetic hooks & clips (clips are good for cruise compasses/excursion tickets/etc). The Dollar Tree locations near us also have 8pk towel clips. (They come in blue and white C&A logo colors!)

Always always ALWAYS get those little tea lights.

Even though we always get a suite and don't need them in the main room, they are KEY for the bathroom at night. Not having to  blind ourselves with the massive overhead light at 3 AM is awesome and 2 of them in a Grand Suite bathroom provides the perfect amount of light for dark-adjusted eyes.

1 hour ago, Ampurp85 said:

I got those press-on lights, keep one in the bathroom at night. Our dollar tree sells mini extension cords, they help expand the outlets. Plus I buy travel size Tylenol, Ibuprofen, etc. In the summer they even sell Dramamine. Plus cute little things I can decorate my cabin with.

I got the mini power strip (3 outlets) for 2019 cruise and wasn't able to take it on. Royal has banned any and all extension cords/power strips. Just in case you didn't know.

2 hours ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

Always always ALWAYS get those little tea lights.

Even though we always get a suite and don't need them in the main room, they are KEY for the bathroom at night. Not having to  blind ourselves with the massive overhead light at 3 AM is awesome and 2 of them in a Grand Suite bathroom provides the perfect amount of light for dark-adjusted eyes.

Have taken those on many cruises and they are fantastic and so cheap that when they run down you can toss them. They are also great for those in the room who seem to come in very late so not to have to turn on the lights to stagger to bed.? We place them on the desk with something that blocks the light from the bed and the light is low enough to not interfere with sleep.

One year we bought the magnetic dry marker boards (we were in four rooms) and beach toys for the kids when we got to Fort Lauderdale. 

At home, at Dollarama, I buy the silicone travel bottles as they seem to leak much less vs the solid plastic ones. And travel packs of wipes - the disinfectant type like Clorox and ones to clean your hands like Wet Naps. 

9 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Many reports are that the crews can't leave the ship in port, so they can't go shopping outside of what's available on the crew store.

Pick up some toiletries, batteries, etc, and give them to your favorite crew members on board.

No but they are burning up the Amazon delivery trucks.  While it's a shame they can't go shopping in port I have seen crew videos showing the Amazon sized toiletries arriving and the wave of Amazon boxes that greet each ship that ports.  Ironically they are probably saving money getting their stuff on Amazon.  

11 minutes ago, twangster said:

No but they are burning up the Amazon delivery trucks.  While it's a shame they can't go shopping in port I have seen crew videos showing the Amazon sized toiletries arriving and the wave of Amazon boxes that greet each ship that ports.  Ironically they are probably saving money getting their stuff on Amazon.  

I guess I'm biased since my next cruise is on Adventure. I'm glad they're able to use Amazon stateside