Canadian Passengers Not Recognized as Vaccinated with Mixed Vaccines

Hello All.

My family are booked in April for a 10 day cruise.

Turns out now Royal Caribbean's policy on mixed vaccines has killed that.

We were told by our Government and Chief Health authorities that this was the best way to go to fight the virus.

Very disappointed once again that the world leaders and Health authorities cannot get together on one united front and make united descensions based on the science,

Were hoping this is reversed soon by Royal as Royal is our ships to sail.

If Not , A lot of Canadians will flock to Carnival Cruise Line. The cruise line that seems to be showing more common sense in this matter.

Thank you from Angry , Disappointed Canadian Cruisers that feel like our voices don't matter on the world stage

cheers

Anything happening right now will have any effect on a cruise 9 months from now. North American cruises have been happening for only 1 month now and policies and procedures have been changing weekly if not daily. I wouldn’t worry about it to much. As a fellow Canadian I have a cruise out of Seattle in 2 months and I fully expect things to change many times between now and then, never mind next April.

1 hour ago, Rene Desmarais said:

I have a cruise this coming Jan 2022 with my family of 4.  I'm full Moderna, my 16yr old is full Pfizer, my 10 yr old not vax'd.

My wife combo Pfizer & Moderna.

So.......

Your family sounds a lot like mine. DH and I got our vaccinations within two days of each other and at the same place but he was given AZ and I got JJ, luck of the draw, you don't get to pick here.

DS, who lives in SoCal is full Moderna.

DD, who is coming to the end of a traineeship in Luxembourg and was not expecting to be able to get jabbed before the end of it got called up last month and will get her 2nd Pfizer this week!

Just wish we could manage to schedule a cruise together. I hope you get to enjoy yours with no hassle. ?

Ive booked a B2B with a friend in november. She's a nurse and in Denmark all frontline personal got the 1. shot with astra back in march but then astra was taken out of the danish vaccine programme 3 weeks later together with J&J so all those ppl got 2. shot with pfizer. Here in Denmark we were told that the mix those ppl got was actually better protection against mutations than 2 shots with pfizer. Hope RCL changes their view about mixed vaccines soon or they will get a wave of new cancellations. 

2022 cruises are a long time away.  So much will change by April.  

No one knows what will be required in April.  By that point people will have been vaccinated with two doses of the same vaccine for more than one year. 

I'm not even going to suggest what that could mean because it's pointless to suggest anything.  

24 minutes ago, Matt said:

It's good to see that this was re-reviewed and revised. With so many areas outside the US having vaccine availability issues, many people seeking full vaccination have no choice but to combine brands to do so. 

OK, 

So now policy has been changed yet again.        RCL will accept Mixed Vaccines.

Now the doses must be separated by at least 28 days and not more than 42 days

That eliminates the majority of Canadian cruisers....    lol  ?‍♂️

lots of cancellations are coming in the next couples of weeks

My boyfriend and I each got Moderna, 47 days apart, so I'm thinking we're good, but my understanding is that if one of those had been Pfizer let's say, and the same amount of time apart, we wouldn't be able to sail? 

This really is going to affect a lot of people. Most of my family received AZ first, and a different vaccine second. I guess we got lucky having Moderna both times.

On 7/27/2021 at 9:34 AM, Marlena said:

Can anyone confirm if we got both doses of the same vaccine over 42 days apart if we are ok? From the website it seems to only use the 42 day rule for mixed vaccines but I wouldn't put it past them.

In another forum someone posed this question to the executive offices and received a replay stating that as long as the doses are of the same vaccine the time between them does not matter.

image.thumb.png.13d581cc55b450b32d978b1fe3ba9316.png

26 minutes ago, Marlena said:

Side question...have any Canadians here sailed yet? I'm wondering about vaccinations card requirements and the fact ours are different. 

I haven’t personally (55 more days) but I know Some Canadians have been sailing and I haven’t heard of any issues with their proof of vaccine. I assume the cruise lines understand they would look different when issued by a different country.

Royal is at the mercy of the CDC on this one. They have been since this all began. The CDC's stance is their is no evidence that mixing the vaccines provides sufficient protection. The reality is the current COVID situation in the US is a dumpster fire and Canada's numbers are low (probably due to their surpassing the US in % vaccinated)

lol,     now only my 16yrs old fully vax Pfizer with the shot intervals can cruise within the intervals.   I'm Moderna vaxed. my shot interval is out of the 28 to 42 days window.

my wife is Pfizer and moderna vaxed, shot interval is out of the 28 to 42 days window.

10 yr old son not vaxed..

Patience young Grasshopper....   sheesh  lol

20 minutes ago, Rene Desmarais said:

lol,     now only my 16yrs old fully vax Pfizer with the shot intervals can cruise within the intervals.   I'm Moderna vaxed. my shot interval is out of the 28 to 42 days window.

my wife is Pfizer and moderna vaxed, shot interval is out of the 28 to 42 days window.

Unfortunatly your wife is for sure not vaxxed in their eyes but you are. If both vaccines are the same there is no window it must be in.

On 8/3/2021 at 1:30 PM, Rene Desmarais said:

On 8/3/2021 at 1:43 PM, Marlena said:

Unfortunatly your wife is for sure not vaxxed in their eyes but you are. If both vaccines are the same there is no window it must be in.

That's my understanding too.  The language implies that only if it's a Pfizer/Moderna mix then the 28-42 day window applies.

Personally, we're ok I think.  I got Moderna four weeks apart, kids got pfizer 4 weeks apart, Hubby is the only one who got Pfizer #1 way ahead of time since he is in health care and then Pfizer 2 at 8 weeks past first dose.  But I think he is ok according to their literature.  I just need the US to open that land border so I can get to DTW....

17 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

That's my understanding too.  The language implies that only if it's a Pfizer/Moderna mix then the 28-42 day window applies.

Personally, we're ok I think.  I got Moderna four weeks apart, kids got pfizer 4 weeks apart, Hubby is the only one who got Pfizer #1 way ahead of time since he is in health care and then Pfizer 2 at 8 weeks past first dose.  But I think he is ok according to their literature.  I just need the US to open that land border so I can get to DTW....

Here is a screenshot from Michael Bayley himself proving the time frame.

Our issue isn't the land order...its our unvaccinated 6 year old...

Screenshot_20210729-144151_Facebook.jpg

Breaking news that might impact Canadians and other international travelers coming into the US in the near future even for a cruise.

Reuters is now reporting a White House official stated the Biden Administration is currently developing plans that if implemented would require all foreign visitors to the U.S. be fully vaccinated.  According to the article the White House began moving in this direction last month and has already met with the nations airlines and other businesses over this proposed policy.  The White House is seeking input on implementation should this proposal become a reality and what would be accepted as proof of vaccination, and which vaccines would be acceptable as fully vaccinated whether they are FDA approved or not (meaning vaccines like AstraZeneca, Sputnik V, Sinovac, Sinopharm and other vaccines which are not approved for use in this country).

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/exclusive-us-developing-plan-require-foreign-visitors-be-vaccinated-official-2021-08-04/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=Social

The article doesn't specify if the White House included the cruise industry in their talks last month, hopefully they did because the number of international visitors who come to the US to take a cruise is huge, any policy such as this would without a doubt have an impact on the cruise industry.

14 hours ago, JasonOasis said:

Breaking news that might impact Canadians and other international travelers coming into the US in the near future even for a cruise.

Reuters is now reporting a White House official stated the Biden Administration is currently developing plans that if implemented would require all foreign visitors to the U.S. be fully vaccinated.  According to the article the White House began moving in this direction last month and has already met with the nations airlines and other businesses over this proposed policy.  The White House is seeking input on implementation should this proposal become a reality and what would be accepted as proof of vaccination, and which vaccines would be acceptable as fully vaccinated whether they are FDA approved or not (meaning vaccines like AstraZeneca, Sputnik V, Sinovac, Sinopharm and other vaccines which are not approved for use in this country).

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/exclusive-us-developing-plan-require-foreign-visitors-be-vaccinated-official-2021-08-04/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=Social

The article doesn't specify if the White House included the cruise industry in their talks last month, hopefully they did because the number of international visitors who come to the US to take a cruise is huge, any policy such as this would without a doubt have an impact on the cruise industry.

This shouldn’t have an impact on the cruise industry as they require vaccines anyway (I know, I know, they are not “required” but the fact is only a fraction of those cruising are not vaccinated because of protocols in place). 

I am not surprised that they are considering only allowing vaccinated people in, this is what most countries are doing. This is what has been expected since late 2020 when vaccines were just being released. That is the reason I got vaccinated as I expected it would be the only way to travel internationally. I’d rather they do this than not open at all.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2021 at 5:50 PM, JasonOasis said:

Anyone have any update on this situation?  I've been searching for information online but cannot find anything. This leads me to believe that the land border closure will be extended beyond August 21. This is extremly frustrating since I have a cruise booked for 37 days from now that is only 130 mile drive but I may be forced to fly.

Seems rediculous that the US land border crossings are open to allow back US citizens who have been vacationing in Canada but will not allow Canadian citizens to cross. 

I found this and in my attempt to confirm CDC and what they consider full vaccinated, I believe mRNA mixed candidates, where our 2nd dose of same wasnt available and were administered a different mRNA vax, IE M and then P, are considered Fully Vaccinated!

Am I reading this right and then in such cases, Mixed mRNAs administered in proper time intervals are good to cruise? 

This is from the CDC site, Aug 13th 2021

Using the above strategies, every effort should be made to determine which vaccine product was received as the first dose to ensure completion of the vaccine series with the same product. In exceptional situations in which the mRNA vaccine product given for the first dose cannot be determined or is no longer available, any available mRNA COVID-19 vaccine may be administered at a minimum interval of 28 days between doses to complete the mRNA COVID-19 vaccination series. In situations where the same mRNA vaccine product is temporarily unavailable, it is preferable to delay the second dose (up to 6 weeks) to receive the same product than to receive a mixed series using a different product. If two doses of different mRNA COVID-19 vaccine products are administered in these situations (or inadvertently), no additional doses of either product are recommended at this time. Such persons are considered fully vaccinated against COVID-19 ≥2 weeks after receipt of the second dose of an mRNA vaccine.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/clinical-considerations/covid-19-vaccines-us.html

13 minutes ago, welly9 said:

lol, you see a complaint?? Coming form A NYer I guess that's a typical response!

It's a VERY Canadian complaint.

Thank you from Angry , Disappointed Canadian Cruisers that feel like our voices don't matter on the world stage

cheers