Which cruise to make final payment?

I know, life's rough, but it isn't too long until final payment date on my Christmas cruise and I've got a decision to make

I've got reservations on Liberty of the Seas out of Galveston and Grandeur out of Barbados. I'm trying to decide which one is most likely to sail.

Liberty stops in Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Falmouth Jamaica.  Grand Cayman has already announced no cruises until 2022.  Jamaica is rumored to be doing the same.

On the other hand, Barbados currently requires ship based excursions only.

Anybody want to give me their read on these tea leaves?

1 hour ago, steverk said:

I know, life's rough, but it isn't too long until final payment date on my Christmas cruise and I've got a decision to make

I've got reservations on Liberty of the Seas out of Galveston and Grandeur out of Barbados. I'm trying to decide which one is most likely to sail.

Liberty stops in Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Falmouth Jamaica.  Grand Cayman has already announced no cruises until 2022.  Jamaica is rumored to be doing the same.

On the other hand, Barbados currently requires ship based excursions only.

Anybody want to give me their read on these tea leaves?

You still have about 60 or so days until final payment is due.  If you are seriously considering Barbados I would suggest you begin researching their entry requirements.  I know from being in the airline industry they just updated their entry requirements on July 15, 2021 for unvaccinated and fully vaccinated travelers. All travelers vaccinated or not are still required to present a PRC test taken no more than 72 hours prior to entry(rapid antigen test or any self administered test are not accepted).  Upon arrival in Barbados you will be tested again even if you are fully vaccinated and will be required to take another PRC test and then quarantine for up to 3 days at a government approved quarantine hotel while awaiting the result of that test. If that test comes back negative then you are free to leave quarantine.  For unvaccinated passengers they will be required to present a negative PRC test no more than 72 hours old and upon arrival they also will be tested again then half way into their quarantine they will be PCR tested a 3rd time.  According to the government Unvaccinated passengers should expect to remain in quarantine at a government approved quarantine hotel between 10-14 days.  Also you will have to cover the cost of all COVID test while in Barbados.

These entry requirements may change again by December but I would say you need to take into account the entire picture.  If you arrive in Barbados 1 day prior to set sail you are going to miss the ship because even if you are vaccinated they are saying quarantine will last more than 24 hours because they will administer a PCR test upon arrival.  Breaking quarantine even for a cruise isn't allowed. 

If it were me I would keep both cruises for now stay on top of the entry requirements for Barbados and make a final decision at the absolute last possible moment.  The cruise out of Barbados looks absolutely amazing but if there is no change to the entry requirements between now and December you might be in for a hassle just to get on the ship.

If I was a betting woman, sometimes I am, I would say Liberty. But that's only if you don't take the advice to cancel both and book something more guaranteed. I think Liberty will be one of the next few ships to sail or start test cruises in 2021. Grandeur from Barbados seems like a long shot, might go the way of Bermuda.

Yikes !  Those protocols for Barbados are ridiculous.  I agree with @Ampurp85….looks like Barbados will be the new Bermuda. I have a Feb 2022 cruise on Grandeur out of Barbados but even if I were vaccinated (which I am not), I wouldn’t go through with all of that nonsense.  Looks like another refund for me…

Even with all the hoops sailing out of Barbados sounds like fun and something only a select few can say they did (one reason I picked Adventure over Labor Day). Although, now that it's been mentioned, it not happening is a strong possibility.

I do like the advice of picking something guaranteed. I also like the wait and see advice.

Tough spot.

Edit: yikes! I didn't read all the quarantine stuff about Barbados. Yeah, if that doesn't change it'll go the way of Bermuda for sure. That wasn't the hoop I was talking about above.

Edited by sk8erguy1978
Barbados travel requirements

I agree with waiting until the last possible moment. Things are changing pretty quickly and you still have plenty of time. But, if you are stressing on this and would like peace of mind…I would go with cancelling both and booking something closer to a sure thing. Also, if you have the funds to spare, you can always make the final payment and then cancel within 48hrs with Cruise with Confidence. If you are going to book something later, you can use the future cruise credit as long as it’s booked prior to the expiration date.

Definitely going to wait as long as possible, but use the time to fully understand my options. 

I've got my Barbados air through air2sea. If I decided to stick with Barbados and then used cruise with confidence to cancel at the last minute,  what happens with the airfare?

21 minutes ago, steverk said:

Definitely going to wait as long as possible, but use the time to fully understand my options. 

I've got my Barbados air through air2sea. If I decided to stick with Barbados and then used cruise with confidence to cancel at the last minute,  what happens with the airfare?

Air2Sea is not covered by CWC.  After final payment there is supposed to be a $200 per person fee for Air2Sea flight cancellations.  I managed to get them to waive the $200 fee around 60 days out with a CWC cruise cancellation but they didn't have to do that.  

It’ll be interesting to see how the Barbados rules affect people cruising on Grandeur.  I can’t imagine too many people will agree to a 3-day quarantine upon arrival, especially those who are vaccinated. 

We’re booked for January 30th, so we’ll be watching to see what happens. 

After due consideration, this is how I see things developing:

• RCI will announce itinerary changes for Liberty similar to those expressed by @Shari.
  • Either Barbados will loosen their restrictions or RCI will cancel the Barbados cruises.  For my Dec 19 cruise, I expect this to happen by Dec 15.
  • Cruise with confidence will still be in effect, so I can get a future cruise credit on either cruise.

my path forward:

1. Wait until September and see what changes.
  2. If things are just as up in the air then as they are now, I'll make final payment on both cruises.
  3. By mid December, I'll use cruise with confidence to cancel one of the cruises based on the following criteria
    1. If Grandeur is sailing with the current Barbados protocols, then I'll cancel grandeur and try to get as much air fare back as possible.
    2. If Grandeur is sailing with reasonable protocols, then we take Grandeur.
    3. If we don't take Grandeur, then we will take Liberty.

In reality, I'm fortunate to have problems like these.  There are so many people in the world that would kill to have the opportunity to go on a cruise...Any Cruise!

Thanks to everyone for the advice and additional perspectives.  It was very helpful!

On 7/16/2021 at 9:07 PM, WAAAYTOOO said:

Yikes !  Those protocols for Barbados are ridiculous.  I agree with @Ampurp85….looks like Barbados will be the new Bermuda. I have a Feb 2022 cruise on Grandeur out of Barbados but even if I were vaccinated (which I am not), I wouldn’t go through with all of that nonsense.  Looks like another refund for me…

Once again I would say wait till the last possible moment to make a decision.  Although the entry requirement for Barbados appear to be a bit harsh believe it or not it is actually an improvement even for unvaccinated  individuals.  Every week more and more vaccine makes it way to nations throughout the Caribbean I reckon within 6 weeks if not sooner there may be another entry requirement update for Barbados making it even easier for people (vaccinated) to enter the country.  I think with the next update fully vaccinated individuals will only need to show a negative PCR test taken no more than 72 hours before entry and that will be enough to avoid quarantine all together.  For those who are unvaccinated it will take a more time but I think by the end of the year if not before Barbados and (depending on vaccine distribution in the Caribbean) most Caribbean nations will allow unvaccinated travelers to enter their respective countries without the need to quarantine as long as they present a negative PCR test.

@steverk I have a booking out of Barbados, so was interested in your question. I thought I’d check  entry requirements listed by other cruise lines.

I see that Seaborn is cruising from Barbados.   Here’s what Seaborn’s website says about Barbados entry requirements for cruisers - there is an option to fly in and go to pier without quarantine:  I have to believe when time gets closer to Grandeur sailings, this will also be an option    I’m really looking forward to my Barbados Grandeur cruise next spring. 

https://www.seabourn.com/en_US/health-safety/barbados-travel-requirements.html

What requirements must be completed prior to boarding? 
Negative COVID-19 Test:

• If guests are going directly to the pier from the airport no additional testing will be required for check-in and embarkation.
  • If guests are staying at a hotel before embarkation they are required to complete a PCR test upon arrival. Guests should take their PCR test at the airport as it will be complimentary. Guests will then be transferred to their hotel to quarantine until results come back. Test results can take up to 24 hours.

p.s. I was surprised to read in the protocols Seaborn was denying cruisers requiring oxygen or dialysis. 

On 7/17/2021 at 3:37 PM, steverk said:

After due consideration, this is how I see things developing:

• RCI will announce itinerary changes for Liberty similar to those expressed by @Shari.
  • Either Barbados will loosen their restrictions or RCI will cancel the Barbados cruises.  For my Dec 19 cruise, I expect this to happen by Dec 15.
  • Cruise with confidence will still be in effect, so I can get a future cruise credit on either cruise.

my path forward:

1. Wait until September and see what changes.
  2. If things are just as up in the air then as they are now, I'll make final payment on both cruises.
  3. By mid December, I'll use cruise with confidence to cancel one of the cruises based on the following criteria
    1. If Grandeur is sailing with the current Barbados protocols, then I'll cancel grandeur and try to get as much air fare back as possible.
    2. If Grandeur is sailing with reasonable protocols, then we take Grandeur.
    3. If we don't take Grandeur, then we will take Liberty.

In reality, I'm fortunate to have problems like these.  There are so many people in the world that would kill to have the opportunity to go on a cruise...Any Cruise!

Thanks to everyone for the advice and additional perspectives.  It was very helpful!

Sounds like a good plan.  I too am on Liberty Dec 19th and pretty sure it will sail.  It should complete its Dry Dock work about the first week of September and head back to the States before final payment.  I would assume we would hear something about a test sailing by then.  I think they are going to try and make the Country Music cruise (late Sept) happen, so December in my eyes is very likely.