Skipping San Juan

We received an email this week that cruises for August and September will no longer be stopping at Labadee or San Juan.  I can understand Labadee as there is so much turmoil in Haiti but wondering if anyone can share the reason behind skipping San Juan.  I'm sure RCI did not make the decision lightly am not complaining....just curious.

I remember reading a few months back that tourist during spring break broke a lot of covid rules. Maybe since they aren't really equipped to handle any sort of outbreak, they aren't allowing ships to port. Lots of ports with low vaccination rates and/or ill-equipped medical centers aren't allowing large ships of people in. Even with reduced capacity that's still over 1000+ extra people a day.

2 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Good question.  I have a Vision sailing out of SJ in late October

We have Explorer  in November.  It was already lifted and shifted from last year ?  I’ll keep moving it until we can go, cause the price we got was amazing.  Guess that happens when you book something during the first week of a pandemic ?

it we suppose t9 be Freedom, but things changed.

Everything will remain in flux in 2021.  Give or take a month any given port may or may not be available.  

There's nothing wrong with that, every nation has to figure this out.  As far as San Juan, given it is the US, the CDC does play a role.

Cruises will visit San Juan when they can.  Cruises will depart from San Juan when they can.   

I know we all want answers but that isn't going to happen right now.  

I was uncertain about what agencies are making COVID related PH policy in PR. It's not the CDC. PR has it's own PH Department and PH officials that are independent from the CDC. Not that that makes any difference but CDC policies apparently don't play in PR.

Having said that, PR is an island. It is ideally suited to pursue a zero COVID or elimination approach by strictly limiting who comes into the country. I think that is what is at play here. Many don't think that congregate settings, what cruise ships are generally classified as when it comes to infectious disease, are a threat for disease spread. But, PH official trained in these matters think they are. 

I just looked over the JHU COVID data for PR. When vaccines started to become more available in April, new case numbers plummeted. Now, like most places on the globe, they are rising again. I've argued case numbers are not a good indicator of what is probably the most important metric in assessing viral control - disease burden. That I think this doesn't mean there are a good number of trained epidemiologists, doctors and scientists that believe increased case numbers presage increased hospitalizations and deaths (disease burden). I understand this view, Data is not sufficnet yet to step back from it and that's what these guys rely on. I believe that position though does not take into account facts on the ground. I also believe awareness of the effectiveness of vaccines - observed facts on the ground that often aren't considered scientifically good data- is beginning to shift the pros views more toward accommodative strategies and less toward zero COVID or elimination strategies.

I can't say what this means regarding the date certain PR will reopen to cruise ships but PR's economy depends on tourism. I'm sure both government and PH officials are getting pressure to ease travel and leisure restrictions. Despite this, I just did a search of all cruise lines that are scheduled to depart SJ PR going forward 3 months from today and only one line, RCL, shows up and that sailing is Vision on 5 September. That tells me that is the earliest any cruise might originate from SJ PR. It's probably too late to shuttle a cruise ship inot service from there before September.

I know Celebrity usually bases a Millennium class ship out of SJ.  There are no Celebrity sailings form SJ through the end of March '22 - I didn't look any further. RCL predominates in that market through March with Silver Sea and NCL showing up there in November '21 and January '22 respectively.

Anyone booked on an RCL cruise starting with and then after September 5th is probably good to go ..... baring any changes and that happens a lot these days!

13 hours ago, JeffB said:

I know Celebrity usually bases a Millennium class ship out of SJ.  There are no Celebrity sailings form SJ through the end of March '22 - I didn't look any further. RCL predominates in that market through March with Silver Sea and NCL showing up there in November '21 and January '22 respectively.

I am seeing Carnival and MSC going out of PR in August, are they not going anymore?
image.png.99a8b8f730976b266c879299c76bf48b.png

2 hours ago, Justwanttocruise said:

I am seeing Carnival and MSC going out of PR in August, are they not going anymore?
image.png.99a8b8f730976b266c879299c76bf48b.png

I only searched for ships home porting in SJ. These are port calls. But it still seems that SJ may open by August 1st for transients.