UDP Dining Time Question

dandi799

This is our first time purchasing the unlimited dining plan (we are on Symphony on 8/14). I purchased it back in June of 2020, and honestly have no recollection of whether I signed up for a dining time. However, on my husband's app, it said that we will be dining at 6:30 each night, which does not sound like a time that I would have picked, as we prefer to eat later. I called RCL and was told that I needed to eat at the same time each night with the UDP AND that they could not change that time now without canceling and rebooking (we got it for $160/pp, and it is now $217/pp). I definitely thought that part of the benefit of the UDP was that you could make your reservations at different times and restaurants each night. (I know that it should be the first thing I do once I board, which is why I've been stalking the website/app to see when I can actually get a check-in time.) Can anyone confirm what the policy is in terms of times? Thank you so much!

1 hour ago, dandi799 said:

This is our first time purchasing the unlimited dining plan (we are on Symphony on 8/14). I purchased it back in June of 2020, and honestly have no recollection of whether I signed up for a dining time. However, on my husband's app, it said that we will be dining at 6:30 each night, which does not sound like a time that I would have picked, as we prefer to eat later. I called RCL and was told that I needed to eat at the same time each night with the UDP AND that they could not change that time now without canceling and rebooking (we got it for $160/pp, and it is now $217/pp). I definitely thought that part of the benefit of the UDP was that you could make your reservations at different times and restaurants each night. (I know that it should be the first thing I do once I board, which is why I've been stalking the website/app to see when I can actually get a check-in time.) Can anyone confirm what the policy is in terms of times? Thank you so much!

Sorry but you got some very BAD information....which isn't particularly surprising.  As you suggest, one of the advantages of the UDP is the fact that you can eat whenever you want - as long as you can get a reservation.  So forget what the rep told you.  You do NOT have to eat at ANY particular time with the UDP.  I recommend that as soon as you board the ship, you head to any one of the specialty restaurants that is open or to the dining reservation kiosk (usually located somewhere in the Promenade) to (1) make your dining reservations for whatever time/restaurant YOU want to dine and (2) let them know that you will NOT be going to the MDR so that they can release your seating to someone else who may be WAITING to get into the early dining.  Enjoy your cruise and your UDP.

9 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Sorry but you got some very BAD information....which isn't particularly surprising.  As you suggest, one of the advantages of the UDP is the fact that you can eat whenever you want - as long as you can get a reservation.  So forget what the rep told you.  You do NOT have to eat at ANY particular time with the UDP.  I recommend that as soon as you board the ship, you head to any one of the specialty restaurants that is open or to the dining reservation kiosk (usually located somewhere in the Promenade) to (1) make your dining reservations for whatever time/restaurant YOU want to dine and (2) let them know that you will NOT be going to the MDR so that they can release your seating to someone else who may be WAITING to get into the early dining.  Enjoy your cruise and your UDP.

Thank you so much!!! This is what I thought when I purchased it (and one of the reasons I did), so I was really nervous. I appreciate you taking the time! Phew!

5 hours ago, dandi799 said:

However, on my husband's app, it said that we will be dining at 6:30 each night, which does not sound like a time that I would have picked, as we prefer to eat later.

The website defaults to require a time when booking the UDP.  It doesn't have any bearing on your actual dining.  That 630 time may also be your scheduled Main Dining Room time, early seating.