Royal Caribbean Vacation Protection Plan

When booking through Royal (either direct or online) there is an option to purchase their "Vacation protection plan" through Arch Insurance Solutions. Has anyone bought this before? I usually purchase travel insurance through Allianz but figured let me try this one since it was a booking that I had to make online real quick before transferring to my travel agent.

How does this work? Do we just print out the content/details on the link below and that is our insurance coverage?

https://www.archinsurancesolutions.com/coverage/Royal

I also have a 21 page PDF document where on Page 5 it shows the below. Is this same for everyone? Can't really "customize" the coverage from what I can tell. It wasn't cheap either at $149 for a 7-night cruise. Just want to make sure I am covered.

image.png.22ca4b2f07c9da054ae99906e7c58bdd.png

Since you are scheduling several cruises, just get an annual policy.  You should come out ahead by not needing to purchase individual coverage on a couple cruises and you'll also be covered for any other non-cruise trips you happen to take.  Great to have in your back pocket for any weather flight cancellation mishaps or road trips troubles more than 100 miles from home.

12 minutes ago, stevendom57 said:

Medical evacuation amount looks low to me. You can easily get some insurance for < $100 that has $500k for that.

Yeah that's the unfortunate thing, I shouldn't of bought this insurance. Allianz has better coverage (below) by default (the one I selected) for better pricing on another sailing. Going to see if I can cancel the one I originally bought after final payment online. Thanks.

image.thumb.png.5fbf96331abf1261a172c539b0f120b6.png

8 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Since you are scheduling several cruises, just get an annual policy.  You should come out ahead by not needing to purchase individual coverage on a couple cruises and you'll also be covered for any other non-cruise trips you happen to take.  Great to have in your back pocket for any weather flight cancellation mishaps or road trips troubles more than 100 miles from home.

I will have to look into that. How much is an annual plan do you know? I have 6 cruises remainder of 2021 and 2 in 2022 so far, 1 in 2023.

8 minutes ago, Cruising With JT said:

I will have to look into that. How much is an annual plan do you know? I have 6 cruises remainder of 2021 and 2 in 2022 so far, 1 in 2023.

Prices differ and mine is through Allianz as a FL resident.  Mine has been less than $500/year for just myself and includes basic coverages:

Trip Cancellation $5,000
Trip Interruption $5,000
Emergency Medical $50,000
Emergency Transportation $250,000
Baggage Loss/Damage $1,000
Baggage Delay $1,000
Travel Delay $1,600
Rental Car Damage and Theft Coverage $45,000
Business Equipment Coverage $1,000
Business Equipment Rental Coverage $1,000
Change Fee Coverage $500
Travel Accident Coverage $50,000
Loyalty Program Redeposit Fee Coverage $500

11 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Prices differ and mine is through Allianz as a FL resident.  Mine has been less than $500/year for just myself and includes basic coverages:

That looks pretty good. I am guessing the annual plan just sticks with you for any trip you take within the year? Now wondering if I can cancel any policies I already bought?

26 minutes ago, Cruising With JT said:

That looks pretty good. I am guessing the annual plan just sticks with you for any trip you take within the year? Now wondering if I can cancel any policies I already bought?

Yes it covers any trips you have from the policy effective date until a year later.  

If you have any health things going on, make sure you pay attention to the pre-existing conditions verbiage so you understand how far back your particular policy will look if there's a health issue you have to make a claim for. 

You should be able to cancel any policies you have already bought.  You just need to read the terms of them before canceling to make sure.  Sometimes it will be pro rata amount back if you cancel.  Most people don't consider that if something happened during the period they bought the policy to the present day, whether it be 2 years or 6 months before the cruise, some policies still have a cancelation insurance coverage piece.

48 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Yes it covers any trips you have from the policy effective date until a year later.  

If you have any health things going on, make sure you pay attention to the pre-existing conditions verbiage so you understand how far back your particular policy will look if there's a health issue you have to make a claim for. 

You should be able to cancel any policies you have already bought.  You just need to read the terms of them before canceling to make sure.  Sometimes it will be pro rata amount back if you cancel.  Most people don't consider that if something happened during the period they bought the policy to the present day, whether it be 2 years or 6 months before the cruise, some policies still have a cancelation insurance coverage piece.

Great info, thank you! I have reached out to my agent to see what's possible. I will look at the cost of getting insurance for my cruises individually and then see if the annual cost is less with similar coverage. 

You can cancel the travel protection plan with Royal up until final payment.  Once that date arrives you cannot cancel.  Also the price goes according to the cruise fare price you are paying.  When I booked my original cruise and kids travelled free, their price for travel protection was $29.  Those paying around $500 cruise fare was either $39 or $49.  As the cruise fare price increases...so does the travel protection price.

3 hours ago, 12thman said:

If you have health insurance through your employer you should check that as well.

I checked with my private health insurance this morning. My insurance covers me internationally for emergency medical care and emergency medical evacuation. The only hiccup is that I may have to pay and then get reimbursed. Emergency only coverage is good enough for me. I doubt that I will be getting my annual physical in Rome before boarding my TA.

I have to say that I was only interested in separate travel insurance for the medical and evac part of the policy. I don't care about travel delays and lost baggage coverage. If you want that, you probably need to get separate travel insurance.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2021 at 11:10 AM, stevendom57 said:

I have to say that I was only interested in separate travel insurance for the medical and evac part of the policy. I don't care about travel delays and lost baggage coverage. If you want that, you probably need to get separate travel insurance.

For those interested in just the medical coverage, there are annual policies out there just for that.  GEOBlue, Trawick, Allianz, and others have medical insurance and medivac coverage only, if that is what you are looking for.  We are looking into this ourselves.  And many of them now cover Covid as well. ?

• 9 months later...
1 hour ago, Jefarl said:

Since the insurance cost is based solely on cruise fare price, Does the RC protection plan cover all airline costs including fares, lost luggage, delayed luggage,etc even if you purchase the airline tickets independently?  

Royal (AON) covers what you insured with them.  Now if you bought airline tickets separately, the airline or 3rd party could sell you insurance just for that.  Read the AON policy to see what it covers specifically.  Check what would happen if you missed the cruise because of transportation to the port.  Would it still cover the lost cruise even if the transportation wasn't insured by them?  Also, the credit card you used to purchase your airline tickets may offer coverage for luggage and travel delays. 

When our airline lost our luggage, Allianz covered it, but we included our airline tickets in the original policy (which increased our premium).  

3 hours ago, Jefarl said:

Since the insurance cost is based solely on cruise fare price, Does the RC protection plan cover all airline costs including fares, lost luggage, delayed luggage,etc even if you purchase the airline tickets independently?  

It does not. Royal's coverage is extremely limited and you are usually better off shopping for independent coverage for the entire trip that covers you from the time you leave your home until you return.