Government of Canada aims to restart cruise ship season in Canada

I know there are many threads surrounding Canada’s cruise ship ban.  Here is a promising update.  The ban is set to be lifted Nov 1, 2021 providing cruise ship operators can comply with all health regulations.   ??

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2021/07/government-of-canada-aims-to-restart-cruise-ship-season-in-canada.html?fbclid=IwAR0yv9kBZ5oiv6V7i6NL4eaTTjjDgxz9_gPTsexTeNdhKWX3aIno4Ie2-3I

Only in Canada eh?

The government's guidance to keeping a safe distance is measured as:

✔ 2 arm lengths

✔ 0.5 Canoe

✔ 1 Fishing rod

✔ 1.5 Wakeboards

That's right folks, make sure you stay 1/2 a canoe away from others.

Is that a metric canoe or an imperial canoe?  So confused.

2094127584_ScreenShot2021-07-15at3_37_14PM.thumb.jpg.c83e9089e175147b85b1886ad4378591.jpg

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Only in Canada eh?

✔ 2 arm lengths

✔ 0.5 Canoe

✔ 1 Fishing rod

✔ 1.5 Wakeboards

2094127584_ScreenShot2021-07-15at3_37_14PM.thumb.jpg.c83e9089e175147b85b1886ad4378591.jpg

6 meters = 28 bottles of Moosehead

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Only in Canada eh?

✔ 2 arm lengths

✔ 0.5 Canoe

✔ 1 Fishing rod

✔ 1.5 Wakeboards

Haha down by Canada Place pier we have signs measuring 2 meters with beavers, maple syrup jugs, poutines, lacrosse pucks, touques, and a few others

7 hours ago, Jax said:

Update on Canada/US land border

“Canada could start accepting fully vaccinated travellers from the U.S. for non-essential travel by mid-August, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau told the country’s premiers Thursday”

https://trib.al/wiC9vkQ?fbclid=IwAR3-Z8nQREMPsGnu16guMCtGuKPrcA22Vn5Bd9y9-7YrKVuLUhL9Rj829SA

In theory Canada has already loosened restriction on vaccinated travelers but the current plan still requires vaccinated travelers have a 14 day quarantine ready to implement when they arrive at the border in case the government doesn't like something with your vaccination documentation.  It seems they took a page from the CDC guidebook by making it so difficult in practice that not many will care to do it.

Loose promises of what they "could" do in August are a stunt to deflect and no different than the CDC's promises of "soon" making changes to the CSO.  Soon.  Any. Day. Now.  

43 minutes ago, cruisinghawg said:

Well they will accept Americans but can the Canadians now drive to the US?

It’s the same kind of bullsh*t as with the CDC where air travel (probably the most unsanitary form of travel) is much easier than anything else. It will be easier for me to fly from Vancouver to Seattle for my Alaskan cruise than to make the 2 hour drive in my own “bubble”. Explain how that makes sense.

4 hours ago, twangster said:

Loose promises of what they "could" do in August are a stunt to deflect and no different than the CDC's promises of "soon" making changes to the CSO.  Soon.  Any. Day. Now. 

Yup, I think these recent announcements on ending the cruise ban and reopening the land border have more to do with an anticipated upcoming federal election than anything else. But that’s a discussion for another forum.  

1 hour ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

It will be easier for me to fly from Vancouver to Seattle for my Alaskan cruise than to make the 2 hour drive in my own “bubble”. Explain how that makes sense

Same thing is happening here in Alberta. People with recreational properties just over the border in Montana are chartering private planes.  

2 hours ago, cruisinghawg said:

Well they will accept Americans but can the Canadians now drive to the US?

No the land border remains closed for all non essential travel. Recent policy changes announced in June allow fully vaccinated Canadians to avoid quarantine hotels and a 14 day quarantine when returning by air.   

3 hours ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

It’s the same kind of bullsh*t as with the CDC where air travel (probably the most unsanitary form of travel) is much easier than anything else. It will be easier for me to fly from Vancouver to Seattle for my Alaskan cruise than to make the 2 hour drive in my own “bubble”. Explain how that makes sense.

I think it will transition into same agreement the US has with Mexico where both American's and Mexican's can fly into both countries but the land border remains closed to nonessential travel.  I'm with you I don't understand it but I think if the US - Canada border does reopen the only way nonessential travelers will be permitted to cross would be via air travel. 

I hope I'm wrong and there is a full reopening of the US - Canadian border but I must say confidence is low that border will open to nonessential travel on land.

3 hours ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

It doesn't but we are talking about politicians and bureaucrats. I firmly believe if a case is found onboard they may check to see if that person flew to the port of departure. We have real good friends from Canada that we haven't seen in more than a year.

37 minutes ago, JasonOasis said:

I think it will transition into same agreement the US has with Mexico where both American's and Mexican's can fly into both countries but the land border remains closed to nonessential travel.  I'm with you I don't understand it but I think if the US - Canada border does reopen the only way nonessential travelers will be permitted to cross would be via air travel. 

I hope I'm wrong and there is a full reopening of the US - Canadian border but I must say confidence is low that border will open to nonessential travel on land.

I reiterate how absurd it is that you would only allow the most unsanitary form of travel across borders to happen but not allow people to travel in their 'bubbles'(personal vehicle). I cringe at the mental intellect of those making these decisions.

13 minutes ago, FManke said:

Haha! Yes, lifting the ban just in time for that busy winter cruise season in Alaska. But, hey, they lifted the ban before 2022, yes?

Definitely maybe.

Once Canada does manage to get more vaccine and there are more shots in the arm they'll quickly surpass the vaccination rates compared to the US at which point there will be renewed calls to shutdown the border to stop the United variant, assuming we are still using airline names for future variants.