Kids- STAR Class

1 hour ago, UDPrincess said:

Hello!  We will be sailing next summer on Symphony of the Seas with 5 kids (one 4 yo; three 2 yo; one 1 yo) in Star class (all kids).  What are some tips and must do with kids on RC? Any suggestions?  This will also be the first time all kids will be flying. 

Give them to the Genie and RUN!!!! (Just kidding?)

I can't speak to littles and SC, but we took our oldest on a plane ride from TX to VA when she was 7 months.

We bought her a seat of her own, and put her in her car seat in it. Of course we took her out when she needed to be entertained, but most of the time she was in her seat. Not sure how far you are flying, but every time I'm on a flight where there is a kid on a parent's lap, I overhear that they regret it. It was worth the money for us.

We were prepared with extra pacifiers, sippy cups, bottles, snacks, and teething rings for the air pressure change. Toys galore. We went out of our way to bring quiet toys - no body wants to hear nursery rhymes blaring for 4 hours. Extra diapers and wipes just in case in the diaper bag. Change of clothes for her and an extra shirt for me, just in case. Once we were in the air she slept about half of the way, but most of that stuff came in handy when we were in the airport and when she was awake on the flight. Several people that were in the rows right around us on that flight thanked us for being prepared when we got off the plane, so I don't think we overpacked. 

I'm wondering about this as well. I've got a star class sailing on Nov '22 with now 8, 6, and 2 year old twins. Is in room babysitting still an option? I know you can get specialty dining delivered to your suite, so we'll probably take advantage of that to not have to drag everyone to the restaurant. 

I'm curious to know if there are any special benefits to star with Adventure ocean. Maybe having your genie register for certain time slots? 

28 minutes ago, ScottW3 said:

I'm wondering about this as well. I've got a star class sailing on Nov '22 with now 8, 6, and 2 year old twins. Is in room babysitting still an option? I know you can get specialty dining delivered to your suite, so we'll probably take advantage of that to not have to drag everyone to the restaurant. 

I'm curious to know if there are any special benefits to star with Adventure ocean. Maybe having your genie register for certain time slots? 

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2018/09/17/royal-caribbean-eliminate-room-babysitting

In room babysitting stopped in 2018.  

@UDPrincessmy kids are older than yours, my youngest was almost 5 for his first cruise, but have had a good time in the Adventure Ocean programs, so utilize their services for some free "babysitting." Go through some of the live blogs. There have been a few of us with kids that have sailed star class. (i'll try to find some to link here) One common thread with all of them are that the Genies are good at making the kids feel special.

Edit: Here is one I remembered about with some younger littles

We're sailing Star Class on our upcoming Allure sailing next month with our girls (7 and 9). I'll be happy to report on the experience. 

However, we have flown recently, and both girls did their first plane flights pretty young. A lot depends on the length of the flight. If you're only on the plane for a couple of hours, it's not so bad, and there will be enough happening that they won't get bored. Longer flights are harder, and I highly recommend picking up some snacks at the airport gift shop and to be prepared with coloring books.

They may experience some preflight and takeoff anxiety (our kids were split there - our oldest has no problem with flying), so this will probably be the most challenging part.

Same here..we will be on Star Class next month with our kids 8 and 9 yo.

They have been on cruises before but first time on Star class.

They typically go to the kids club at least once while daddy and mummy head to the spa. But with covid, we know there are capacity restrictions on kids club numbers so waiting to see what those are and if we will get first dibs through our Genie...we will report back on any special kids experiences ?

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/15/2021 at 11:29 AM, UDPrincess said:

Hello!  We will be sailing next summer on Symphony of the Seas with 5 kids (one 4 yo; three 2 yo; one 1 yo) in Star class (all kids).  What are some tips and must do with kids on RC? Any suggestions?  This will also be the first time all kids will be flying. 

I just started a new blog if you are interested.  My kids are 11, 9, 3, and 2.

On 8/9/2021 at 5:29 AM, smokeybandit said:

I'm not sure being in a Star suite really means anything different for kids

I suppose it depends on their ages and personality. Our 7 year-old couldn't care less about the differences. Our 9-year old, on the other hand, is very excited about all things Star class. She's been watching Star class review and overview videos on YouTube for months ahead of our cruise.

41 minutes ago, VoidoftheSeas said:

I suppose it depends on their ages and personality.

Totally agree.  My kids were 9 & 11 (I think lol) and they were both beyond excited and maxed out all the benefits, from filling out their own Genie survey to walking themselves to Starbuck and ordering like crazy.  They still laugh about the time they called the Genie for 3 slices of pizza and 3 boxes got delivered.  

46 minutes ago, VoidoftheSeas said:

I suppose it depends on their ages and personality. Our 7 year-old couldn't care less about the differences. Our 9-year old, on the other hand, is very excited about all things Star class. She's been watching Star class review and overview videos on YouTube for months ahead of our cruise.

But there's nothing geared towards kids that's any different Star class vs. any other cabin class.

12 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

But there's nothing geared towards kids that's any different Star class vs. any other cabin class.

It's true that there aren't any specific activities that are SC-specific, but there are some advantages for kids if they are SC - such as having popcorn delivered to your suite at night while you watch TV or watch the Aqua Theater show.  For kids on Q class ships, it's a real treat to be taken to the front of the line for bumper cars.  It's too bad that Royal parted company with Dream Works.  SC kids used to be able to arrange for a private meet & greet with some of the DW characters.  I really do miss the DW experiences.  For the older kids, they will get head-of-the-line privileges for the Flow Rider.  The younger the kids the less likely that they will even notice a difference but the older ones most likely will.

On Oasis my kids were walked to the front of the line to ice skate. The genie also arranged for DS to ride in the swan boat during the ice skating show. Not sure if it was star class related but DS preferred the mac and cheese from chops and asked the waiter for it when dining at 150CP, "no problem".  They also made multiple Starbucks trips.