A Scenario I’m Afraid Of

17 minutes ago, LizzyBee23 said:

It still highlights the absurdity of saying things like "cruises around the world have been sailing with no issue" when these are the conditions some are operating under.

Actually for as strict as some country's rules are, it's impressive there haven't been MORE issues.

We are probably not hearing about some. I have a friend that was on Adventure last week and tested positive. He was with many of his family such as sister and her family and a few of their friends. RC tested and then quietly came and got him from the pool area told him put him in an ocean front room, no balcony. He and his partner are vaxed  and so were the rest of his group but he was the only positive case. They were removed in Freeport and flew home on a charter. He said it was handled very well and he is appreciative of the way they were treated. He whole hardly believes he DID NOT get this on the ship. I told him no probably on the plane over.

RC protocols are working to this point. 

That's highly selective. Hospitalizations are low relative to case count and just about as low as they have been at any point in the pandemic, which begs the question... So what? Another true thing: more kids are hospitalized for RSV right now in my state than COVID, yet we're not talking about testing and isolating adults who carry it to protect kids.

Cruises requiring vaccinations will still have virus on board, roughly commensurate to the degree of community spread at the time of the cruise. We either accept the current iteration of COVID as the latest cost of being human and move on, or this never ends.

These stories are all doom and gloom, exactly what those who push the narrative that cruises are floating petri dishes. Covid is here, its queer and it don't want any more bears!!......If you get that reference we can be best friends.

I highly doubt any sailings from the US will experience this as the protocols in place seem to be working. And by working I mean they are catching and handling positive cases in the proper manner. Not locking down the whole ship in extreme panic but by being thorough and cautious.

10 hours ago, LizzyBee23 said:

A danger of a zero covid strategy.

???? Did i read the same article as you? 

Testing prior to boarding ✔ 

Testing onboard ✔

Isolation of guests with negative results ✔ 

Now to me thats having a covid strategy in place and showing it works..

13 hours ago, cruisinghawg said:

We are probably not hearing about some. I have a friend that was on Adventure last week and tested positive. He was with many of his family such as sister and her family and a few of their friends. RC tested and then quietly came and got him from the pool area told him put him in an ocean front room, no balcony. He and his partner are vaxed  and so were the rest of his group but he was the only positive case. They were removed in Freeport and flew home on a charter. He said it was handled very well and he is appreciative of the way they were treated. He whole hardly believes he DID NOT get this on the ship. I told him no probably on the plane over.

RC protocols are working to this point. 

This didn't make the "news" because he cooperated and responded in a civil manner.

3 hours ago, LizzyBee23 said:

You forgot the part about all 3000 guests being disembarked.

At no point does report say there were 3000 guests! What it does say is this.....There were 1,646 passengers and 1,249 crew members on board the ship, Dream Cruises said

Also it was a 3 day cruise, if it sailed on monday, test was positive on tuesday then by my calculations they were disembarking on wed anyway!

11 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I love how the article leaves us with this:

In December, nearly 1,700 passengers on a Royal Caribbean Quantum of the Seas ship were forced to isolate in their cabins for more than 16 hours due to a suspected Covid case.

Which of course ended up being a false positive

Could be worse.  They often magically switch the count of passengers and crew to present a bigger number.  

I've always said since this all started, I'm not scared of the virus itself on cruises, especially now that I'm vaccinated.  I got the J&J but that's another story. 

I'm afraid of the overreaction - by the ship authorities, the health agencies, the passengers, and the public.  One wrong move and the cruise is disrupted.

39 minutes ago, PG Cruiser said:

I've always said since this all started, I'm not scared of the virus itself on cruises, especially now that I'm vaccinated.  I got the J&J but that's another story. 

I'm afraid of the overreaction - by the ship authorities, the health agencies, the passengers, and the public.  On wrong move and the cruise is disrupted.

I had that fear, too. I figured after the first case on board, the protocols would be thrown out the window and we'd be back in panic mode like we see in Asia.

Fortunately cruise lines stuck to their guns and all has worked out fine.

Even at 100% vaccinated…we know there will be cases on board ships. It’s inevitable. Also, testing done prior to the cruise, whether days before or the day of the cruise, will not indicate a positive result if the infection takes days to incubate. Anyone can be exposed before boarding and carry it onto the ship before a positive test. What’s important is Royal’s protocols to monitor and deal with it each and every time. The combination of catching it early, managing and mitigating it, along with the science which indicates vaccinated and otherwise immune persons are unlikely to catch it…or if they do…produce enough of it to spread to others, looks promising. I am confident Royal is doing all it can to make cruising as safe as possible. It’s not just personal, it’s business.

16 hours ago, cruisinghawg said:

RC tested and then quietly came and got him from the pool area told him put him in an ocean front room, no balcony. He and his partner are vaxed  and so were the rest of his group but he was the only positive case.

Were they retested before being removed from the ship?  Have been tested at home and are they COVID positive?

8 minutes ago, Psycho and Barb said:

Were they retested before being removed from the ship?  Have been tested at home and are they COVID positive?

Yes the next day with the brain swab test. It was positive also. Do not know if he was tested once he returned home. My point is lets not panic over this the protocols are working if we all work together.

I’d be curious to know if those who have tested positive have flown in versus drive to the port. Obviously not the case with Nassau sailings. Other than the “Karen” who was removed from Freedom (who wasn’t vaccinated) have their been any others? I don’t recall but then again not many sailings yet. It would be interesting to track though. Both our October Symphony and March Harmony we’re driving. Don’t have to fly until May Alaska and next October Odyssey out of Rome. Hopefully things will have settled down by then. 

I do fear more cases as cold and flu season arrive and those winter cruises. So many flying in for those. 

Heck I’m battling a pretty decent upper respiratory infection right now and I haven’t been anywhere except the Petri dish grocery stores lol (yes, my Covid test is negative)