booze cruise

A gift of entertainment from the YOUTUBE algorithm. I had no idea of the cruising subculture devoted to avoiding the $12.50 drink of the day.

The recommended video just turned into another and another. Flasks, fake shampoo bottles, recorking wine, mouthwash scam, cabonation,  fake umbrella even. The cruise industry has apparently

started a second industry - probably  china based, sorry Donald. The comment sections are even more entertaining. Seems to be a cat and mouse game with the port screeners.

Maybe more Carnival than RC, but I can see the logic behind the drink packages in the booze war. These modern day pirates are costing the cruise lines hundreds per person. 

Am I just late to the party on this? Anybody admit to trying this stuff to success? Another mother of invention story.

This is the exact reason why cruise lines are also cracking down on what they allow to be brought onboard.  For example, Carnival no longer allows passengers to carry bottled water onboard because refilled and and resealed water bottles were being used to smuggle booze one.  Now, you're only allowed a six or 12-pack of cans.  However, they do sell a 12 pack of water delivered to your room for about $4 if you order it before your cruise.  This may also be part of the reason why alcohol prices have increased onboard due to lost revenue.

Given the problem that cruise lines often have with drink package sharing, I'm surprised that Royal Caribbean has bucked the trend by allowing one person in a cabin to purchase a drink package without requiring others in the cabin to purchase it as well. From what I read online, some people do advocate sharing drink packages on Royal Caribbean, providing various justifications as to why it's okay, despite the protestations of many.

I'm also pleased that Royal Caribbean is keeping alcoholic drink package prices at an acceptable level (especially with the current sale pricing). NCL raised their Ultimate Beverage Package (comparable to RCI's Premium Beverage Package) to $79/person/day + 18% gratuity. If they weren't including the UBP as a free perk for their bookings (yeah, I know that the cost is ultimately factored into the base fare), I wouldn't be able to justify getting the package at that price.

Given the problem that cruise lines often have with drink package sharing, I'm surprised that Royal Caribbean has bucked the trend by allowing one person in a cabin to purchase a drink package without requiring others in the cabin to purchase it as well. From what I read online, some people do advocate sharing drink packages on Royal Caribbean, providing various justifications as to why it's okay, despite the protestations of many.

I'm also pleased that Royal Caribbean is keeping alcoholic drink package prices at an acceptable level (especially with the current sale pricing). NCL raised their Ultimate Beverage Package (comparable to RCI's Premium Beverage Package) to $79/person/day + 18% gratuity. If they weren't including the UBP as a free perk for their bookings (yeah, I know that the cost is ultimately factored into the base fare), I wouldn't be able to justify getting the package at that price.

Very good observations, Marc.  I wonder, though, if NCL has raised the "sticker price" of the drink package as a way of suggesting that they are offering more value by including it as a perk?

Very good observations, Marc.  I wonder, though, if NCL has raised the "sticker price" of the drink package as a way of suggesting that they are offering more value by including it as a perk?

This was my thought... since it's so often "included" in the overall price. 

I actually had a co-worker price out a NCL cruise this week with the DP included as opposed to an RC cruise that didn't have it and RC came out on top.

My thoughts are more sinister.

Originally, when NCL offered the UBP as a free perk, it was completely free. You got the perk and got free drinks onboard. It was great. Then, sometime last year, they changed the rules so that when you selected a free perk like the UBP or the specialty dining package, you got the item for free, but you had to pay 18% gratuity on the price of the package. So, "free" wasn't quite as free, but still a good deal.

So, here's my thinking. They raised the price to $79/person/day because few people actually buy it; most people get it by choosing it as their free perk, and those people are paying the 18% on that inflated $79/person/day. That's almost $200 for a "free" drink package for two people on a week-long cruise.

Theoretically, that 18% could be going to the bartenders, but who knows? NCL has always been kind of secretive about their daily gratuity (called a "service charge"). Although they collect $13.50-15.50/person/day (comparable to Royal Caribbean), here's what they say about where the money goes:

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including complimentary restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.

Note that it does not say that the service charge actually goes directly to the crew, but instead to "incentive programs" funded by the service charge.

I agree with others, where smuggling alcohol is just not worth it in terms of effort and inconvenience.

Moreover, if you can afford the cruise but the drinks are too expensive, then perhaps a cruise vacation is not for you.  If you are just being frugal/cheap, then drink in the ports you visit to save a lot of money.  There are plenty of ways to not pay $12 per drink, while still playing within the rules.

And regardless of how one justifies sneaking on booze, it's breaking the rules.  Plain and simple.

Am I just late to the party on this? Anybody admit to trying this stuff to success? Another mother of invention story.

I haven't tried to sneak booze on board; it's stealing from the company and the employees (through lost tips), and frankly I'm just too damn lazy to do it.

My best friend has a nearly-fool-proof way to bring booze on board - I've seen him do it a number of times.  I won't post it here, but if you really want to know PM me.

I haven't tried to sneak booze on board; it's stealing from the company and the employees (through lost tips), and frankly I'm just too damn lazy to do it. 

This is a good point - part of the cruise experience for me is getting to know the bartenders and talking to them. 

I have on who was on Enchantment and is now on Majesty that I love... when I was on Majesty a couple weeks ago, he remembered me and even asked where my fiance was by name. 

If anyone is on Majesty anytime soon, pay Aki a visit at the smaller pool bar near the Windjammer. :)

part of the cruise experience for me is getting to know the bartenders and talking to them. 

This is the quintessential point that this forum and Matt's blog promotes. 

In the few cruises I have been on, one of the most rewarding experiences is interacting with the crew, especially the bar tenders when they aren't slammed with drink orders.

There is no reason to try to buck the system...doing so causes you to miss out on the full experience. Frankly, I feel sorry for those who put so much energy into cheating.

I think some people enjoy finding flaws in the system and exploiting them, and even justify to themselves that's it's okay if they save money because it's a big corporation. I am the opposite. I have not been on a cruise before but I can read and the rules and guidelines are clearly laid out, which are available to read prior to making your final payment. If a $12 drink costs too much, don't get one. Perhaps remember that lots of people cannot ever afford to go on vacation or considethe people who work on the ship for you (at  what appears to be some tough wages) and really rely on your gratitude (via tips) to help them feed their families. It's not frugality you're promoting when you cheat, it's dishonesty...and the more you do it the more you believe it's okay. I don't bother with it. If I can't afford to buy something I don't, and I don't feel bad about it whatsoever. Go explore the country you're visiting on your cruise, smile at the people, and appreciate the good fortune you have for being able to do this. 

I go on instagram a lot to see Oasis of the Seas posts  (miss her :-D) and it always has these spam type posts of plastic bag flasks you can smuggle in your luggage. Not only is it bad form, but it ignores the vacation mindset. It's a time to relax and enjoy the fruit of your hard work. Belly up to the bar and enjoy your drink like an adult and talk to the bartender people!!

I think some people enjoy finding flaws in the system and exploiting them, and even justify to themselves that's it's okay if they save money because it's a big corporation. I am the opposite. I have not been on a cruise before but I can read and the rules and guidelines are clearly laid out, which are available to read prior to making your final payment. If a $12 drink costs too much, don't get one. Perhaps remember that lots of people cannot ever afford to go on vacation or considethe people who work on the ship for you (at  what appears to be some tough wages) and really rely on your gratitude (via tips) to help them feed their families. It's not frugality you're promoting when you cheat, it's dishonesty...and the more you do it the more you believe it's okay. I don't bother with it. If I can't afford to buy something I don't, and I don't feel bad about it whatsoever. Go explore the country you're visiting on your cruise, smile at the people, and appreciate the good fortune you have for being able to do this. 

Very well said --- It amazes me how some justify it --- It's like a crook that steals out of an unlock vehicle ... "It's their fault because they left the vehicle unlocked" as if that makes it okay.